Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Son joining HMS Collingwood 8th Feb 2021

NervyMom

Hi, my son joins basic training on 8th Feb. I understand that as Easter falls in his training period, he will get 2 weeks leave, thereby making his training period 12 weeks as opposed to 10 - is this correct? If so what are the Easter 2021 leave dates and what date should I expect his passing out to be? Additionally due to Covid and other issues we have had to cancel a family holiday to New York twice and I would still like this to happen at some point later in the year, so do you have the leave dates for summer and Christmas 2021 for HMS Collingwood? Thanks

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
Phase One at Collingwood is a brand-new thing and I'm not sure that RR has a resident bod that is able to answer your questions; I hope I am proved wrong in a few posts time!

You are correct, in that the training periods will be extended to accommodate leave. However Covid is impacting training in all phases at all establishments. In your position I would not be planning to book flights.

I hope someone better informed than I can pop in for you shortly.
In the meantime I wish "son" all the best in his new career.

Bimma

Midshipman
The Raleigh dates for Easter leave are the 2nd to the 19th of April so I imagine Collingwood will be similar. However it is not yet certain whether recruits will be able to leave base at Easter as this has yet to be decided by Naval Training HQ. I was in a zoom call last night and many people were concerned about Easter leave but they could not give us a definitive answer.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
The Raleigh dates for Easter leave are the 2nd to the 19th of April so I imagine Collingwood will be similar. However it is not yet certain whether recruits will be able to leave base at Easter as this has yet to be decided by Naval Training HQ. I was in a zoom call last night and many people were concerned about Easter leave but they could not give us a definitive answer.
Raleigh Easter leave has been shortened to 2nd to the 12th, new XTM has been issued.

Phase One at Collingwood is a brand-new thing...

Ermm - Not quite 'brand new', @Branch-Hopper; just the full swing of a rather slow Pusser's Pendulum...

Up until the late Summer of 1960 Electrical Branch New Entry Ratings* joined HMS COLLINGWOOD for both Part One and Part Two Training [and had probably done so ever since the Electrical Branch was formed in 1947]

In that Autumn those of us of joining the Branch** attended HMS RALEIGH for what was then six weeks of Part One before moving to HMS COLLINGWOOD for our Part Two professional courses. ATT those consisted of an initial Common Electrical Training Module (CT) of approximately 3 Months before being sifted & sub-categorised as either an Electrical Mechanic or as a Radio Electrical Mechanic. [The EMs course being a further 3 months whilst my REMs course was far longer - at around five months]

The exceptions were those joining the Electrical Branch as Juniors (U) [= aged between 15 and Under 16 1/4] They joined the RN at HMS St. VINCENT, for a full year of schooling/NE training, prior to moving on to HMS COLLINGWOOD for their Electrical Branch professional Part Two Courses; allee same same as above.

**Being either Juniors (O) [= aged Over 16 1/4, but younger than 17 1/2] or Adult New Entries [= aged 17 1/2 and older]

Hope that this little sliver of personal history puts the record straight -'Pusser's Pendulum' in this instance referring to the tendency of a situation to oscillate between one extreme and another. :WINK: :WINK:

Bob

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Adding to the mix, I joined in January 1960 as a JRO initially went to Collingwood for a couple of weeks to draw kit and some basic stuff, then went up to Mercury. I think that the main reason for this was that Mercurys stores didn't carry sufficient items to make an initial kit issue.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z Son joining Hms Raleigh shortly Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 64
K Son is joining in March 2014 Bases / Shore Est 2
T Son interested in joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Y God son joining the corps The Corps 11
N Son starting at Collingwood in march 2021 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
soleil Daily Mail: "Proud Dad Gordon Ramsay Reveals Son Jack, 20, Has Joined The Royal Marines" The Corps 5
MoD_RSS 26-year bans after father & son flout previous disqualifications MoD News 0
K How can my son become an F35B AET? The Fleet Air Arm 71
MoD_RSS Rotherham man who stabbed mother in front of young son jailed for longer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Son of pharmacy owner sentenced for dealing wholesale medicines MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Mother banned for allowing disqualified son to run company MoD News 0
soleil Aberdeen Press & Journal: "Commemoration Arranged For Royal Marine Hero And His Son In Beauly" 26/01/20 The Corps 2
MoD_RSS Father and son cleaning company bosses disqualified for 18 years MoD News 0
B Son started at HMS Raleigh today Nearest & Dearest 0
MoD_RSS News story: Father and son dramaticaslly rescued from cliff MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Mother and son restaurateurs banned for under-declaring tax MoD News 0
T Son passed out of Raleigh last week Joining the Royal Navy 5
K How do I post an item to my son at HMS Raleigh. Joining the Royal Navy 5
Trainer Euromillions Winner Does not have to subsidise ex Naval Officer Son Current Affairs 58
A No contact with son at Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 133
S Anyone's son at Raleigh this week? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
R Need some help for my son Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
U My son just started raliegh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 72
F I'Ve got a son Diamond Lil's 2
N Step Son Applying For Weapons Engineer Role Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
H Son Failed RT Maths any Tutor experiances. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
W Unhappy son at Culdrose The Fleet Air Arm 128
K Getting pressy to son for xmas without him knowing The Quarterdeck 7
trelawney126 Hamas son get 11 years for heist. Diamond Lil's 18
sgtpepperband Pompey News: "Gosport dad and son team up in warzone" Current Affairs 1
sgtpepperband Dad to walk 100 miles in memory of Marine son Charity 3
G Won a gong? Then get skating son. Diamond Lil's 36
P Hello everyone, my son is starting basic training. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
Hermes_R12 SDSR: Sea Harrier - Sharkey Ward Speaks up for his son. Current Affairs 10
scouse Son of a very very famous FAA VC Recipient The Fleet Air Arm 0
K Son on deployment needs prescription glasses from UK asap Current Affairs 18
dabbzie why do you want to be in the Navy son? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 70
soleil Times: Lottery winner's son (RM) to go to Helmand as planned The Corps 6
soleil "Hero Marine helps son enjoy Christmas" The Corps 2
T Every mum wants WAFOO for a son and SEAMAN for her daughter Diamond Lil's 4
Squirrel David Cameron's son dies Current Affairs 1
D Son has been backclassed at Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 30
R Info required, son going for his Psychometric test. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
NotmeChief Son of Norman - Nails the nobber. Diamond Lil's 6
B Mother Takes Son's Ashes To Court Current Affairs 5
sgtpepperband Mum flies out to join son on front line The Corps 11
H Whale Wars son of Cod Wars ? Current Affairs 20
finknottle Fortunate Son The Corps 4
brazenhussy Son's note to his father. Diamond Lil's 5
ukdaytona Idi Armins Son Is Alive And Well In London The Quarterdeck 2