Son has been backclassed at Raleigh

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by donna, Feb 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My son has just been backclassed in his 8th week at Raleigh for failing his kit muster. He will now miss his date for Phase 2 training and has been told to wait and see what they will do with him until the next course starts. He is devastated and i go from wanting to ring his neck to feeling its my fault for not teaching him to wash etc before he went, he's only 16 and had never looked after himself before. He was in fisguard division and said this is the hardest one to get through but i don't know whether to believe him or not. Anyway does anyone have any idea what they will do with him while he waits for the next course date, it could be about 18 weeks.

cheers, from an overprotective mum.

2. You mean clothes, right? 8O

And to be fair, there is a thread on here about someone wanting to get a head start on learning how to iron the uniform and many replies- from experienced RN personnell- saying that you get taught everything from scratch. It's far from your fault, I imagine.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Drakey is probably the best guy to advise on this one.

Depending on the branch & the time delay involved, it's difficult to accurately predict whether they will continue to employ an untrained rating for that length of time.

4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Shut up Tim, until you join up and know what the feck you're talking about... :roll:

Donna: Your concerns are understandable, and well done for joining RR to get some advice. Looking after naval kit is somewhat different to what you (or him) would be expected to do at home; it has to be folded/stowed in a particular way - I doubt that anything you could have done would've affected his performance in basic training. Your Son will be well supported by his Class/Deputy Class Leader, Class Instructor and Divisional Staff - that is the nature of teamwork and camaraderie that the Navy prides itself on. One way or the other he should do what is required and complete training. I joined at 16 also, and the culture shock of being thrown into that environment can take some time for young people to adapt to. I'm sure that in a few weeks, when you are standing beside the Parade Ground and watching him Passing Out, you'll both look back and think that you were worrying about nothing... :lol:

Keep us posted! :thumright:

5. That thread exists and so do the replies.

But let's leave it at that.

6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

RANT ON: No, I won't. The poster wants some advice; advice is usually obtained from someone who has the experience to know what they are talking about. You do not. Back in your box, little boy...

RANT OFF! :evil:

7. Donna some of the most famous ratings got backclassed in the Royal Navy for something. Its no problem!! as long as he learns from it and corrects his short commings. Me included and im not famous!!! But Admiral David Beatty was :wink: :wink:

8. Not to piss anyone off by hijacking the thread, but I wouldn't mind if you elaborated a bit, Ninja.

9. Surely not??!! Admit it, you loved the V place so much you wanted to stay a bit longer. ;) After all, you only spent 12 months there.

I didn't know that about Beatty. Still, Fisher was the greater Admiral! :twisted:

11. And so we go on, another thread turned to crap, a Genuine question from a concerned parent and we have two people who have never served giving advice.

Ask me in all honesty, why I get pissed off?

Thingy, at your age , you are not funny and should be ashamed.

Timthickand dim, FFS listen to advice and get back in your box.

12. Excellent reply. Says it all for me.

I can see why your a MOD :lol:

13. I was hijacking the thread :oops: but not offering advice, as you can see. :roll: Of the other note: I may be very old, but I haven't grown up yet. One day maybe......... but then again..... :lol:

14. Steve, you've been told before, but you do tend to get over excited.
    I just want to know what happens when you fail at the last thing. When you join Raleigh and are exposed as a duffer, you get flung out. But what happens when you've passed everything except.......... and then get back classed.

Normally, you'd have been sent to Accomodation/Buffer's Party,(in my day anyway). What happens now?

15. Donna,

There has been some useful advise already given by some members on this thread. (but not TIM).

Some of what I am about to tell you might seem harsh but I wouldn't like you to be under any illusions. Your son will have been given a training extension because he has failed to reach the standards required. He will be given every assistance and opportunity to correct his shortcomings. and providing he does so he will pass out with his new class. However, if he does not reach the standards required he will be recommended for discharge unsuitable during training - he will already be aware of this, but I don't know whether he has told you or not.

All traines have their own perception of the 5 different divisions within phase 1, but they all work to the same exacting standards. Fisgard is no harder than any of the others. You seem to be surprised that this has happened to him. He will not have been training extended for his first failure at kit. This only happens after the third attempt. Perhaps you/he might have seen it coming? This is not an unusual circumstance but most trainees manage to redeem themselves because they have realised the seriousness of the situation. In extreme cases, some don't, and this leaves the navy with no other option.

With regards to his phase 2 training. You haven't said what branch/trade that he is in. The training pipeline varies from trade to trade. Some are more frequent than others and it depends on when the next course starts. I doubt it very much if it is going to be 18 weeks - unless he is in a very small branch with a very slow throughput of trainees. If he has to wait for his course he will be placed in Hawke division in order to "mark time" until it starts.

Don't blame yourself for not preparing him as he will have been given all of the instructions in order to complete the task of kit preparation.

I hope this helps. Please PM me if you need any more info.

16. [​IMG]

17. Donna I heartily second Scouses comments, many Recruits, both Navy and Marine take a little longer than some to come to terms with their new lifestyle and therefore need the extra time that back classing/Trooping provides.
    Don't look on it as your fault it ain't, it's just your son needed a bit more time, it's no real reflection on his career prospects either if he knuckles down he should do fine.

Second the comments on know all civvys gobbing off, AGAIN, about subjects they have only read of!

18. Thanks Drakey.
    I understand now.

19. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The reason for my "holding back" on giving advice in this particular issue was that in "days of yore" the service could afford to place trainees on holdover until the next class of the same branch/trade passed through phase one & commenced the next phase two element of trade training.

Nowadays that's still the case for the trades that have frequent intakes, but the smaller branches are much more infrequent & a "part trained" Naval rating has limited employability prospects until they complete phase two because there is simply far less flex in the service.

In short, as stated by Drakey, the particular trade is also a governing factor even if the trainee successfully completes phase one.

20. Donna

I have to agree with Drakey on this one.

When I served in the RNR (I was RN before that) I did several spells at Raleigh as a senior rate in Part 1 training. Its hard but especially so for a young man of 16. Ironing pussers kit for a kit muster is an art. Its by no means unusual for a trainee to have a set of kit for wearing and one made up for kit muster and never used. Either way, if he applied himself, he can succeed. More succeed than fail

What he needs to do is ask for and accept the help and advice of his div senior rate. They have no interest in seeing him fail but ultimatly it is down to the trainee himself.

My advice, for what its worth is to get him to consider what is important to him and if he wants a career in the andrew, he needs to knuckle down and apply himself. I know that's difficult for a 16 year old but in the RN, he needs to grow up fast and aquire a level of maturity that is above his years. Its not easy but many young men do - me included (a very long time ago). Sucess depends on whether you want it badly and whether you are prepared to ask for and accept help to get it.

Hope that helps