Something for us old Bomber Queens !!

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Nicks, May 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

A fascinating reminder of what things were like - even for a skimmer.. many thanks for posting.

2. As if

Women - know your place

3. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :wink:

4. 370 million for four submarines? How times have changed!

Cheers for posting mate, really interesting stuff!

S

5. Dogs Knob, just printed it out to show the youngsters what they missed.

Brazen hussy - Who's the chick on the bike??????

6. Faslane sounds so idyllic!! :lol: Get me there...now!!!

7. Yes I do admit I do miss the 7 day summers up there and walking back from The Imps as its snowing so hard and its so deep that the taxis are off the road and you hope the RN Patrol will pick you up,also the overnight train fron Kings Cross that doesnt get in until 6.30 am on Monday when I have left home at 4.30pm the previous day,and the toilets in the carriages full of snow and you are unable to get your head down because its so F*****G COLD on there,and getting back and going straight to work.

9. mmmm, doesn't sound much different from nowadays except the house prices.

Shel
    -x-

10. It was called an Abacus steve! :lol: :lol: :lol:

13. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

As a "navy brat", son of a Bomber Queen (Repulse, 1st Commission, Port Crew) that certainly drags me back. The pictures of the Churchill Estate which looked so "new" - completely different to the last time I visited a couple of years ago (we were the first occupants of number 36 Kent Drive); I don't remember a school called Kirkmichael Primary, although the description fits a school called John Logie Baird.

Looks like a job for the printer tonight and tomorrow there'll be a copy winging its way to a geriatric retired ex-Bomber Queen, aka Dad!

14. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Idiots guide to easy peasy numbers:

Lets start with binary or base 2; it goes 0, 1, 10, 11, 100, 101, 110...

Octal is base 8 and goes, 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,10,11,12,13,14.....

See nothing difficult there - all the difficult higher numbers are missing (I always hated my 9 time table - counting in octal means I don't have to worry about it!).

These number bases are ideal for people who have lost digits and still use there fingers for counting :)

Once you've mastered these you can, if you feel confident, move on to base 16 (no longer easy peasy, sorry) which is essential to computer programming: the sequence of this 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F,10 more usually prefixed with 0x, e.g. 0x0FE1. The difficult bit here is that you can no longer rely only on your fingers and relying on other parts of your anatonmy can get you into trouble!

Binary is easiest

15. May 28th 1974 ---Nicks :roll: Same day Ganges!!

Don't put our class photo on here :oops: PLEASE :oops:

17. What you mean this photo Frank ???

You are the one in the middle row third from the left arent you ??

And I am that bit of skin two along from you,never lost my good looks to this day !

[​IMG]

18. Nice one Nicks,

Happy days :eek:

19. But not the way the navy did it, it was

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 21 etc etc

This was basically a cheap decimal numbering system with 8 digits because that was the way they programmed ADAWS i think it was the first contact managment system fitted in the old Ark, Eagle etc.

It used to cause more problems than it was worth, chinagraph and stateboards worked better.