Something for us old Bomber Queens !!

Patrols will last eight weeks (a few may have done
this long in a Conventional), the submarine then returning to Faslane for a month to change over crews and maintain, after which the opposite crew will go to sea for eight weeks. No one will ever go to sea for two patrols running.
As if

Work for Wives
There will be opportunities for working as:
a. Clerical workers - including any who have had computer experience. They would be employed as non-established civil servants, at either Coulport or at the Base. Transport will be provided at a small fee.
b. Canteen Staff at the base.
c. Staff at the NAAFI families shop.
d. Female Industrial Staff in various capacities.
Women - know your place

creeper said:
[
Work for Wives
a. Clerical workers - including any who have had computer experience. They would be employed as non-established civil servants, at either Coulport or at the Base. Transport will be provided at a small fee.
Women - know your place
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :wink:

Polto said:
Faslane sounds so idyllic!! :lol: Get me there...now!!!
Yes I do admit I do miss the 7 day summers up there and walking back from The Imps as its snowing so hard and its so deep that the taxis are off the road and you hope the RN Patrol will pick you up,also the overnight train fron Kings Cross that doesnt get in until 6.30 am on Monday when I have left home at 4.30pm the previous day,and the toilets in the carriages full of snow and you are unable to get your head down because its so F*****G COLD on there,and getting back and going straight to work.

creeper said:
[
Work for Wives
You had computers back in 1967! 8O :eek: :eek: :eek: Bloody Hell, you're not as backwards as I thought. :wink: :lol:

Always_a_Civvy said:
creeper said:
[
Work for Wives
You had computers back in 1967! 8O :eek: :eek: :eek: Bloody Hell, you're not as backwards as I thought. :wink: :lol:
Ah but can you work in Octal numbers?

Maxi_77 said:
Always_a_Civvy said:
creeper said:
[
Work for Wives
Ah but can you work in Octal numbers?

I thought Octal were an oil firm... :?

I can work with easy peasy numbers, then I get stuck! :oops: :oops:

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
Nicks said:
No need to get to tearful when you read this,but I found it on the RN Submarine Museum site. Oh Happy days :lol:

Look at the prices of houses then !!

http://www.rnsubmus.co.uk/coldwar/Hand book.pdf
As a "navy brat", son of a Bomber Queen (Repulse, 1st Commission, Port Crew) that certainly drags me back. The pictures of the Churchill Estate which looked so "new" - completely different to the last time I visited a couple of years ago (we were the first occupants of number 36 Kent Drive); I don't remember a school called Kirkmichael Primary, although the description fits a school called John Logie Baird.

Looks like a job for the printer tonight and tomorrow there'll be a copy winging its way to a geriatric retired ex-Bomber Queen, aka Dad!

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
Always_a_Civvy said:
Idiots guide to easy peasy numbers:

Lets start with binary or base 2; it goes 0, 1, 10, 11, 100, 101, 110...

Octal is base 8 and goes, 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,10,11,12,13,14.....

See nothing difficult there - all the difficult higher numbers are missing (I always hated my 9 time table - counting in octal means I don't have to worry about it!).

These number bases are ideal for people who have lost digits and still use there fingers for counting :)

Once you've mastered these you can, if you feel confident, move on to base 16 (no longer easy peasy, sorry) which is essential to computer programming: the sequence of this 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F,10 more usually prefixed with 0x, e.g. 0x0FE1. The difficult bit here is that you can no longer rely only on your fingers and relying on other parts of your anatonmy can get you into trouble!

Binary is easiest

Nicks said:
Polto said:
Faslane sounds so idyllic!! :lol: Get me there...now!!!
Yes I do admit I do miss the 7 day summers up there and walking back from The Imps as its snowing so hard and its so deep that the taxis are off the road and you hope the RN Patrol will pick you up,also the overnight train fron Kings Cross that doesnt get in until 6.30 am on Monday when I have left home at 4.30pm the previous day,and the toilets in the carriages full of snow and you are unable to get your head down because its so F*****G COLD on there,and getting back and going straight to work.
May 28th 1974 ---Nicks :roll: Same day Ganges!!

Don't put our class photo on here :oops: PLEASE :oops:

FlagWagger said:
Always_a_Civvy said:

See nothing difficult there - all the difficult higher numbers are missing (I always hated my 9 time table - counting in octal means I don't have to worry about it!).

These number bases are ideal for people who have lost digits and still use there fingers for counting :)

Once you've mastered these you can, if you feel confident, move on to base 16 (no longer easy peasy, sorry) which is essential to computer programming: the sequence of this 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F,10 more usually prefixed with 0x, e.g. 0x0FE1. The difficult bit here is that you can no longer rely only on your fingers and relying on other parts of your anatonmy can get you into trouble!

All the computers in the MCC were in binary and it was a piece of piss once you got the hang of it,mind you after 3 months of On Crew of you were doing it in your sleep!

What you mean this photo Frank ???

You are the one in the middle row third from the left arent you ??

And I am that bit of skin two along from you,never lost my good looks to this day !

FlagWagger said:
Always_a_Civvy said:

But not the way the navy did it, it was

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 21 etc etc

This was basically a cheap decimal numbering system with 8 digits because that was the way they programmed ADAWS i think it was the first contact managment system fitted in the old Ark, Eagle etc.

It used to cause more problems than it was worth, chinagraph and stateboards worked better.