some thing about Royal Navy Commando

Cass79

Midshipman
Will a boy ever be born who can swim as fast as a shark? :)

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

Jlwilde

Midshipman
Quick question, getting married in 2 years, I transferred from being a pongo but did my all arms course during my time.
Is the navy the same as the army in respect to your nos 1?
Do I get to scrap the cap and wear my beret on the big day or is it caps only?

Cheers guys!

WreckerL

War Hero
Quick question, getting married in 2 years, I transferred from being a pongo but did my all arms course during my time.
Is the navy the same as the army in respect to your nos 1?
Do I get to scrap the cap and wear my beret on the big day or is it caps only?

Cheers guys!

Caps only with Nos 1's.

UckersUfcukers

Midshipman
I may be wrong (or at least not 100% correct).

You can join as any rating/ trade and undertake the AACC (all arms commando course) at CTC Lympstone to earn the right to wear the green beret.

But you are only allowed to wear the "Green beret" when attached to a RM unit so don't have any ideas of mincing around an RN base wearing your "green beret" cos its not allowed

daffy1

War Hero
Why do an arduous course if you don't get paid extra for it or risk getting injured? As for Green lids strutting around Raleigh its an unwritten rule that you can wear it although a few members off staff do complain, you just crack on anyway.

Last time I saw something along the line of when green berets can be worn officially it was:*Commando units*Training establishments. I have served with a number of RN Commandos and these rules were never stuck by- they wore them when ever. The first time I met one was at HMS Raleigh as a sprog- my GI (A PO by the name of "Fred" Perry, who was sent to the parade ground for hitting out a doris who was pointing a loaded rifle at him). My 2nd and 3rd were on my last ship HMS Sutherland, we had a AB(Sea) who was also Para trained (he had been to 148 battery and was serving just to get some sea time) and shaped his lid like a flap cap, badge still over his eye though, like the pongos do and a CPOAET (The SMR). Both wore their lids with the CO's permission. We have a MA at my current unit- an ex bootneck who wanted to rejoin the Booties, was told they were full and so became a matelot- aparently day 1 of Raleigh he was wearing his green lid.

Der Alte

Badgeman
I was also told by a Capt.RM that they find the whole concept of 'Naval Commandos' to be quite bizarre.
I am sure their Lordships thought the idea of "Royal Marine Commandos" to be bizarre too before 1942! Royal Marines have only been operating in that role since WW2.

My old shippers is now Captain of College at BRNC (I know, I know: name dropping) and he has got a green lid.

They also entitled to bear the "Dagger" on the sleeve of their uniform; now that is quite steely!

Last edited:
Never quite thought a green beret went well with 4s
They seem to go better with the new 4's, now that those entitled can also wear the command mud guards on the shoulders (along with any other badge you're so entitled to wear- wings, dolphins, para wings, eod, etc).

fishhead

War Hero
Did my prmc started my 32 weeks at Lympstone but was too young and hard work .. and TBH hated the word double mark time and bend ....... stretch. .. out of every corporal gob . ....so I joined the navy
What a shame. Which instrument were you hoping to play?

Latest Threads