some thing about Royal Navy Commando

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by helloboy03187, Mar 3, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I want to join the RN when I finish my final year in my uni , just interested in the Royal Navy Commando , I saw the officer with the greed beret and RN badge with 'Royal Navy Commando' shoulder patch on the RN website , but i cant find that in career, just thinking which role i need to apply?:sleepy5:
  2. OMM

OMM War Hero

I may be wrong (or at least not 100% correct).

You can join as any rating/ trade and undertake the AACC (all arms commando course) at CTC Lympstone to earn the right to wear the green beret.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  3. You are narrowing down your career choice just to complete your AACC, why not just go bootneck if you think your up for it?

4. OMM

OMM War Hero

But if that's what you want then join the Royal Marines as an officer.

5. Edjemication ocifer, MO, Dento or I imagine 148 NGS foo type or SB.
    MA or Aircrew as an OR in general.:smile:
  6. AEO and AV

7. My understanding is that AACC-trained personnel technically aren't even allowed to wear their green lid unless they are actively engaged in green skills of some kind at the time.
    I was also told by a Capt.RM that they find the whole concept of 'Naval Commandos' to be quite bizarre. Thats one opinion!
  8. I believe it's at the commanding officers discretion?

9. OMM

OMM War Hero

It depends. There was an ex-RM at Collingwood doing phase 2 training and he wore his green lid during training (Not sure if he did in phase 1).

10. I'll ask a green-lidded matelot the next time I see one (not very often)!
  11. I have heard cases of ex-RMR joining the RM and having to 'earn' their lid again during basic training.

Of course that could be complete bollocks.
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Nope, in the case of an RMR Other Rank joining as an RM Officer, they start from scratch. They may be permitted to wear the green beret in RM Officer training but technically not with an RM Officers beret badge as they have not passed the Commando Course to the Officer standard. If they cock-up in YO training, as has happened on more than one occasion, they revert to a blue beret recruit until they complete the YO Commando Tests during RM YO training.
  13. thank you so much , hope thats not too hard to get it i mean
  14. so they dont need to pass AACC?
  15. Is the AACC is optional or every RN need to join it
  16. Yes, that was it. Makes sense to me. The 30-mile tab sounds cheeky enough as is, having an hour less to do it than the lads must be character-building.
    Thread drift aside, moral of the story for the OP is that if you want to be a commando in the Naval Service, the only guaranteed way to do it is to join the RM.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  17. bootneck? is it only for RM?
  18. Is it AEO is air engineer officer but wt is AO?
  19. OMM

OMM War Hero

No, if you had read the other comments you would see other branches of the RN can earn the green beret.

What he is saying is if all you want is the status "commando" and a green beret then you should join the RM (bootnecks).

20. The All-Arms Commando Course is an Additional Qualification that the Navy might conceivably find a reason for you to do at some point during your career. Anyone in the Navy (or indeed any of the services) could end up doing it. Certain branches are more likely than others, these have already been mentioned. No-one is recruited off the street as a Naval Commando however.