Some stupid questions

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by The_0ne, Nov 28, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I may well be joining the navy after the new year and looking to go in as a marine engineer. Obviously i have to choose between ships and boats.

At the moment the boats are more appealing due to money :oops:

I have some questions about "Life" on the sub which on the face of it are silly questions so apologies if they are.

1) When on the sub in the mess or bunk area are there power sockets which can be used? (Can you use your own laptop while on board or use a power socket to charge an electric shaver for example)

2) I understand fresh water is looked after on a sub, i.e not wasted. Are you able to have a shower everyday or are their set times when water is directed to showers.

3) Part III training, i understand you try and do this when off watch, is it paper based or pc/laptop based?

4) What is the atmosphere like on the sub, is it hot and sweaty? cold? room temperature

Those are the questions for now, told you they are probably stupid but cant find the answers anywhere else :oops:

2. SAM ! I have deleted your post becuase you are a little tosser.Anything you post on the Submariners thread will be deleted .Go away do a bit of ''real'' service and grow up . DEEPS Submariners moderator.

3. Cheers but some of them answers dont make sense.

Broadband internet on a sub i thoughts subs were meant to have no contact with the outside world....

4. Mate, if these questions are genuine have you thought you perhaps are considering the wrong career? Perhaps the merchant marine might be more to your taste

5. So just because im asking these questions the service wont be for me?

Seems a pretty unfair comment to make if im being honest mate, im looking into the options, trying to find out AS MUCH as possible about each before making an informed decision.

The questions are little things i know, but they can make the difference, anyway if anyone can provide answers much appreciated

6. Sam is a known idiot on this site, please disregard all his posts.

1) You can use the wardroom (as an officer) as an area to work in using your own laptop. Bear in mind most British submarines are of 60s/70s design and at that time it wasn't envisaged that everyone would want to plug laptops in at their bunks (not that there is much room to do this!)

2) Yes you can shower daily (using fresh water at all times, again, please disregard Sam)

3) Part III training as I understand it involves more practical training than anything else. Does it matter if the rest is pc/paper based? (Not having a dig, it's a serious question)

4) Room temperature, perfectly comfortable.

Nuclear boats are wonderful things, they can produce as much heat, electricty and fresh water as you like!

Oh and please don't use the term "sub", the correct terminology is "submarine", never "sub".

7. Many thanks for that information.

No doesnt matter if it is on a laptop or hand written just trying to find out as much information as i can, cheers for the answers :)

8. Mate,

if its little things that count at this stage in making your mind up...........maybe you are crossing bridges that dont yet exist.

There used to be opportunities for students to visit RN units before joining to get a feel for life in the navy. I dont know if there still is but I would recommend you investigate. If you can, visit a frigate and a submarine. I certainly wouldn't volunteer for subs (skimmers can call them what the hell they like) without at least visiting one first. I should know, I was 'volunteered'.

9. As part of the training at HMS Raleigh it says in one of the weeks you visit a frigate and a submarine, i dont kno if you have to make a choice between ships or boats before you start training or if you choose at the end??

10. If its the extra money that is making you lean towards a career in submarines, then I suggest you think long and hard if it is what you really want. A visit to a boat and a talk with some submariners will give you a better idea of what its all about.

Maybe they can also show you the power points and showers. My last boat had a coin operated shower, trouble was the box was always full by the third day out and we had to wait until we got back alongside to get it emptied. :wink:

11. You dont get a choice at Raleigh of what you visit,it depends what class you are in at the time and the only boat they will show you is Conquerer,as my boy was taken round and at 6ft 4 ins tall he wasnt that taken in by the thought of going on boats.

12. It actually depends on what they have in, we went on HMS Montrose and then as the Conquerer is getting ready for its move we went to the model museum which was a bit gutting!

13. Forget visting a boat while at Raliegh my fella going on submarines couldnt as it was needed for operating as was the ship! LOL

I am sure somewhere in Glasgow area there is a tasta weekend or something maybe ask the AFCO.

From what my fella was told, showers every 2 days, more relaxed atmosphere then ships, oh and you dont have to shave everyday! better and more valiable tours (3 months) etc!

Of course many of the lads saw the money thing while they where giving a talk about boats during Raleigh - then saw the conditions and decided against it!

Horses for Courses!

From what he was told you can always go for ships and then ask to go into boats (sure they will bite your arm off!) and if you go on boats i think you have to do 5 years so not on for life! Also some branchs have very long waiting lists for ships but very short for boats (could effect your choice) there is a post somewhere about a lad whos branch had a 2 yr wait but would get him there in 8 months for boats!

There is load of useless information, just what my fella (6 weeks into basic) has been told.

14. Thanks for that information hun :)

15. Another attemnpt at putting a spin on the answers:

1) When on the boat in the mess or bunk area are there power sockets which can be used?
    Yes
    Can you use your own laptop while on board - yes and your DVD players, mp3 machines etc, even charge your mobile phone (doesn't work while submerged though)
    or use a power socket to charge an electric shaver for example - yes but electric razors used to be forbidden, to stop the shavings blocking the ventilation filters I think. Wet shaves all round, or grow a beard while you're away.

2) I understand fresh water is looked after on a sub, i.e not wasted. Are you able to have a shower everyday or are their set times when water is directed to showers. you can shower when you want (usually).

3) Part III training, i understand you try and do this when off watch, is it paper based or pc/laptop based? - Part3 is all about reality, talking to real people. The people who do badly are those who've tried to learn it all from a book, the people who do well are those who ask questions and get stuck in by finding out from the ship's coimpany.

4) What is the atmosphere like on the sub, is it hot and sweaty? cold? room temperature - depends where you are, back aft is warm and sweaty, rest of the boat comfortable room temperature usually, go somewhere tropical and everywhere warms up, go to the poles and it cools down. Atmosphere doesn't really smell until you get home and find that everything smells of a submarine. The most noticable smell is the "not so fresh" air when you open up after being dived for a period.

16. As a Trainee you will not have time for anything except for a system, shave, shit and shower in that order. Good luck if you apply its a great life with lots of learning.

17. Nicks, whilst he might grow another 6 inches or so before he's 18, modern surgery can work wonders. On the positive side, when you stand by him in a pub the barman will ask if he's going to buy his 'son' a drink! Then again they might only allow him to buy you a soft drink! :lol:

Steve

18. Is this for real??

:threaten:

19. 1) You will have plug sockets in your mess and bunks

2) You may not be alound to shower everyday but you can wash from the sink. Where as washing cloths you have set days like officers monday and juniors rates tuesday and seniors wednesday etc.

3) You can do some of the work on computers and on paper (If you take your own laptop).

4) Its can get hot in the engine room but they do have air conditioning. It also depends were the boat is because when you go to the artic it does get cold.

20. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Chico: What is your advice based on? 8O