some questions ?

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by rnsubdaft, Jun 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I hope someone will be kind enough to answer some questions I have provided of course I am not asking something I shouldn't be....

Just out of interest what is meant by the roles of OA & TI when referring to CPOs' in the WE branch. I take it WEM(O) & WEM(R) are now combined?

When referring to fore-endies and back afties, to a civvi am I correct in assuming that these are ME branch or former MEM(M) & MEM(L) (+ MEA) designated to maintain particular equipment forward & aft?

When at diving stations, from what I gather the fwd planes are worked by the supply branch, who controls the aft planes, who controls the vents and the trim. In fact without sounding ignorant how many people are involved in diving / surfacing a boat and if possible who does what.

When surfaced who normally undertakes bridge watchkeeping along with the OOW?

Thanks to all in anticipation, I hope I haven't asked something that I shouldn't have and apologies if I have!
  2. You have asked a lot of questions there so i will hopefully answer them all, if i leave any out or the u wanna know more then let me know.
    1. OA- Ordanance artificer. Its an old term that is still used. His job is to maintain the hiss and piss( hydraulics and air) systems for discharging the torpedoes.

2. TI- Torpedo Instructor. his job is the safety of the topedoes onboard, along with the rest of the explosives.

3. A forendie is a WE rating that works with torpedoes and a back-aftieis an ME that works in the engine room / machinary space.

4 . WEM (O) and (R) have not been amalgamated and have just reappeared after the formation of the ET branch.
  3. 5. Bridge watch keeping is as you say undertaken by the OOW and a junior rate who is the lookout. They are generally from the sonar side of things as there isnt much call for sonars on the surface.

6. in theory everyone is involved in diving the sub as every one is closed up, but you actually only need the planesmen and a panel operator to open the main vents and control the trim.

7. you are correct about the fore-planesman as most are from the supply branch but there are other junior rates invloved to . The aft-planesman is a senior rate.

Hopefully this has answered your questions.
  4. Just to expand on the Diving Stations, it is piped if the boat has been shut off from diving, ie surfaced, In passage routine. It does invlove the whole ships company, all compartments are manned and all communications are tested. The boats systems are lined up iaw procedures, and this is done by for'd and aft (and class dependant mid) senior rate systems experts and Head of Department. They are checking that not only will the boat be able to dive, but most importantly could surface. The system experts more or less sit in there relevant positions, so for example the COXN will be on Ship Control, The Wrecker or CMEM on the panel, the most senior planesman, DCHQ will be closed up, support party etc etc. The CO will be in the control room, with the watch navigator, he gives the final order to dive the submarine, after the Navigator has told him the Depth of Water (which is always handy to know). Surfacing is done on the watch, unless it is an emergency, so no extra manpower there. Of course once the submarine is dived, you can return to PD, even surface, then dive again all on the watch. As long as you have not shut off from diving you will not go to diving stations again.
  5. Opening up for diving and diving stations should not be confused, diving stations, is when all key positions are manned by the appropriate key personell, and full support parties are stationed where required. At diving stations a boat is able to carry out any procedure such as diving, attacking or surfacing. Opening up for diving is the exercise that needs to be carried out after the boat has been shut off from diving to ensure that all systems are correctly set up to allow submerged operations safely and operationaly effectively.

Action stations and Attack teams are slight variations for specific purposes. I have experienced boats going to diving stations for example to come to PD from deep in very bad weather, and on one occasion we didnt actually stay at PD, we just went deep again and sat there waiting for the storm to die out.

Diving stations is used also for any serious emergency, fire for example, or a leak. Once again I experienced that after a reactor scram for a steam leak on the main throttle.
  6. Not any more, fire(s), leaks (various kinds), reactor scrams, etc are now “Emergency Stationsâ€. Times have a changed.

7. Fair enough things change, though for normal scrams, we still worked on the watch, that one was different because with no hope of restoring steam propulson at all we needed to hit the roof pretty fast
  8. You would not normally go to Emergency Stations for a standard Reactor Scram. However if the scram was as a result of Fire, Primary Coolant Leak, Major Steam Leak then you almost certainly would. Believe Diving Stations is still used for a widespread 24V failure.
  9. and also if someone nicks the Coxswains shirt.
  10. Yes
  11. Thats' hands to no leave stations

Officer of the watch - Captain....
    Officer of the watch sir....
    If safe to do so....Clear the bridge, come below, shut and clip the upper lid. I have the submarine.
    Minutes pass (feels like days)........
    Ship control Captain make a warning pipe 'Diving now, diving now'.
    Ship three and four main vents......
    Three and four main vents indicate open (minutes pass, slight bow up angle felt and the bubble moves forward)......
    Open one and two main vents, (whooshing noise heard and after a few minutes the bubble starts to move amidships).
    Another age passes then.
    You hear there...the submarine is at 17 and a half meters (60 feet in old money) all compartments check for leaks and report to ship control on the DC net. Report all hatches from fwd.
    Weapon loading hatch dry, Fwd escape tower upper lid dry (ship the lower lid) Conning tower upper lid dry, shut two clips two pins (shut and clip the lower lid), Main access hatch dry, Engine room hatch dry, after escape tower upper lid dry (ship the lower lid).
    Stand by to mark all depth gauges with error and date. Stand by, stand by......NOW....control room depth gauge reads 17.5 meters. Vent all radial depth gauges.....
    Then after what seems like an eternity....
    You hear there....fall out from diving stations...go to 1st watch watch dived, patrol quiet state, weapon readiness state one, containment state one.
    Whoohoo.......rack out!
  13. Ex Coxn. Anybody who nicks the Coxns Shirt, needs more than emergency stations!!!!!!
  14. Gordon Bennett wot a load of tosh!! Bring back SSKs!!!
  15. Gents, thankyou for your replies I am very grateful to you all. Very informative and a fascinating read. I'm glad you pointed out the difference in 'opening up for diving' and diving, I was unaware that there was a difference.
    Therefore a boat leaving port would be in this 'state', undergo opening up for diving procedures (diving stations) in open water and then dive. Should the boat require to surface, or rtpd further on, the existing on-watch crew would surface the boat and if required dive again, unless of course it was because of a scram, too which all hands would be called (diving stations.)
    A scram would necessitate a blow & go.

Thanks SELJUK, read it and felt as if I was in the Control Room, alas I am not that lucky.

Thanks again all
    RNSD :thumright:
  16. Now you're talking,you mean a REAL submarine.
  17. Polycell check you're PMs.I sent 2 to you.
  18. ".....unless of course it was because of a scram, too which all hands would be called (diving stations.)
    A scram would necessitate a blow & go."

Errr NO. Can you f*cking read??
  19. Dear all DBFers',
    It always seems like a load of old tosh when there is a reluctance to drag yourselves out of the nineteenth century...what will SSK's do when the oil runs it surely will.
    This is meant as a joke of ya really guys....every last fossilised one of you. :salut:
  20. Sorry notafourknotfudgepacker,

I had got myself confused but after reading it again I understood it. I do suffer from senior moments and i'm a bit dim at times so just as well for you i'm not on your watch :thumright: