Some questions on Falklands 1982

Discussion in 'History' started by Javier Guerrero, Jun 23, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All. (First pardon for my Englishman)

I want to do some questions that can seem to be awkward, but if I comment on them it is by that they are disqualified. If there is someone who believes that they must not be answered, I understand it.

There is known the name of ships that took part actively in the South Atlantic, but there were ships as the HMS Lowestoff (F-103) that they navigated upon the South Atlantic between Ascension and St Helena and it does not appear in any list.

There were more ships?

On May 15th the XV232 (Nimrod) in the second RV with the VICTOR (Parallel between Brazil and Uruguay) it received a sign TACAN Band L proceeding from a possible warship that was accompanied by a small fishing boat....

There were ships for these missions?

The first RV (28º14 ' S - 28º36 ' W) was "guided" possibly by the HMS Leeds Castle.

Thank you

2. Javier
    Not breaking any secrets here but both ships you mentioned travelled to the South Atlantic after the conflict.

3. Hello Javier. As you seem to have a genuine historical interest and not preparing for Op CORPORATE (or whatever it was called in Buenos aires) Phase 2, I think you deserve some public domain answers.

The Nimrod RV with the Victor wouldn't need ship assistance (they'd probably avoid it like the plague). They would likely have made the contact via Airborne TACAN. The principles involved can be read in;
    AAR Principles | The Victor Association

4. Stan the man

HMS Leeds Castle: operate in May in the South Atlantic. On May 18 it was overflown by a C-130 in 40 º S - 37 º W (National Archives AIR 25/190)

HMS Lowestoff (Ascesion Island guardships). arrive at UK in August http://www.hmslowestoft.co.uk

Passed-cover Loggie

Thank you.A great help

It has been a lot of time thinking that the TACAN was the ship (UK ¿AN/SRN-15?)

I understand that the ship was to provide coverage in case of problems, because of it in the routes of flight of the planes always there was a ship to half a way.

On May 1 HMS Brillant (VULCAN)
    On May 12 Group Fearles (The plane in his route flew to his left side the HMS Ardent)
    On May 15 Leeds Castle

Thank you.

5. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

One duplicate post deleted

Welcome Javier.

There are a number of veterans of the Falklands Conflict on the site and some well informed amatuer naval / military historians. There isn't much that remains secret, although if it did, I wouldn't necessarily know. I was safe in Portsmouth in 1982.

Good luck with your research.

6. op Rosario

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You can say that again, Sister.

8. Just checked the SAMA website to see if you had asked your question there, as I suggested above.

As you havent, I would suggest that you perhaps do not have a genuine historical interest

9. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Perhaps he hasn't logged on yet Dapper?

10. Ninja_Stoker

Strange place the interweb.

Maybe his computer screen is displaying the "circle of doom" and randomly re-posting the same comment, too :winkrazz:

11. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

"Perhaps Jan. But if he was really interested in the answer, why whould he have not?" Because he may have a job/family/other pressing matters to attend to?

12. Seadog

Indeed. There is life outside the interweb.

NS may be right about the circle of doom. Javier's post count is 1, it should be 2 if duplicates only count once and 5 if the reposts count. By the way, Javier is posting from Spain not Argentina so don't jump to concluions....dapperdunn.

I may clean up but there is something more pressing to do. Don't take that as a lack of interest dapperdunn.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  13. TBH I dont really care

14. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Job jobbed. Duplicate posts x3 deleted.

15. Ninja_Stoker

Oh ta.

It now looks like I'm taking the Mickey out of Kinross_Special. :toothy3:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Pardon for being late in answering but I have not could for problems with the forum

Some answers

Stan the man

HMS Leeds Castle: operate in May in the South Atlantic. On May 18 it was overflown by a C-130 in 40 º S - 37 º W (National Archives AIR 25/190)

HMS Lowestoff (Ascesion Island guardships). arrive at UK in August http://www.hmslowestoft.co.uk

Passed-cover Loggie

Thank you.A great help

I understand that the ship was to provide coverage in case of problems, because of it in the routes of flight of the planes always there was a ship to half a way.

On May 12 Group Fearles (The plane in his route flew to his left side the HMS Ardent)
    On May 15 Leeds Castle

Dupperrctunn

I know the page, thank you

Thanks to all

17. Seadog

Another three duplicates chopped. One left as it does have a little extra ( not a duplicate then ) .

Javier seems to be having a combination of finger trouble, perhaps some forum icons lost in translation and even random internet strangeness. He has three posts on view but a post count of 1. A job for Mulder and Scully?

I'm trying to help him out by PM, please bear with me, and Javier.

Edited to add, to add to the weirdness, this post is not appearing on the front page even after refreshing; last one is NS's one above.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  18. Pardon for being late in answering but I have not could for problems with the forum

Some answers

Stan the man

Passed-cover Loggie

Thank you.A great help

On May 15 Leeds Castle

Dupperrctunn

I know the page, thank you

Thanks to all