Some questions about Logistic officers

Graf

Lantern Swinger
Pwdrin said:
I know its 24/7 and i havent said im not willing to go on a ship. I am willing actually think i'd rather it, but that doesn't mean I'll always want to be onboard. I might want to go ashore and get some exp of how that works. Having the chance to go home on the weekend would be a great, but if i get to go home for a week every few months, im fine with that.

1. You won't always be onboard a ship. As an officer you will have shore drafts.

2. Leave is a privilage not a right. If the ship/unit requires you to work weekends / over leave periods, you will. Deal with it. That said you will get the chance to go home regularly

3. There are thousands of people in the navy that have great family lives, why should you be any different.

Pwdrin

Midshipman
Im asking these questions because I have no idea how things are in the RN. The only person I know in the RN is a First aid intructor in Raleigh.So he goes home every weekend and has all the time he has been in the RN apart from one month or so he spent on duty abroad. So asking about how much time I get off etc is to find out how I can spend my civvey life.

I think I pritty much have the leave question sorted, any more and Ill get even more of a slating like. So if any1 can answer the other questions please :D

A

angrydoc

You need to go and have a chat with your AFCO.

The concern that I and all the other posters on this thread (all long-standing RN personnel) have is that your tone and concerns are not really in keeping with a career in any of the Armed Forces. You seem more concerned about what life after the RN will hold rather than showing any kind of commitment to the RN. AIB will be tough for you if this is true - the Board is very good at finding people who arn't really into it. If you manage to get past AIB then your time in the RN will be miserable.

You need to have a good think, and a chat to your school careers advisor and the AFCO. Your concern about your current relationship is good, but bear in mind that you are still pretty early on in your life and letting a teenage relationship dictate your future life may not be the wisest course of action.

Pwdrin

Midshipman
Thanks, organised to chat with careers teacher monday, he was busy today. Will look into visiting the AFCO in July, currently having exams and what not.

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
angrydoc said:
The concern that I and all the other posters on this thread (all long-standing RN personnel) have is that your tone and concerns are not really in keeping with a career in any of the Armed Forces.

My Bold AD. How very dare you :D

The rest is spot on though.

The irony is, I know 10's of Log's Officers who have this attitude. I know you do to - especially the ones who work for a 'principal' who actually isn't that important, but yet you'd think they're were the only thing holding back the hoards of paperwork that would otherwise engulf 1SL(desig(hopefully)).

There are on the other hand, masses of Logs Officers who are doing far more crunchy stuff than the majority of the RN (I give you the future Commander of 101 Logs Bde for HERRICK), including FF/DD CO's.

Go to the AIB, don't go, I really don't care. Capt AIB will decide your fate, not this board....