Some questions about Logistic officers

TeddyT

Badgeman
The Commission may be 12 years but the Return of Service will be less; maybe 3-6 years. RoS is the minimum you have to serve of your commission; you can not leave during this. This is so the Navy can re-coup the investment put into your training. You can request early termination of your commission after this (which may, or may not be granted).

Definitely something to clarify with you ACLO.

Also remember that Logistics Officers will not spend their entire career at sea, quite the opposite in fact. There are plenty of shore jobs for Logistics Officers and compared to Warfare Officers, they spend a fairly large proportion of their time ashore.

By the way, I'm not bitter, not even half way through the Middle stuck in a box overnight somewhere.

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
Most logs officers nowadays will only do one, perhaps two jobs at sea. There simply aren't enough hulls left to provide that much seatime now. Instead Pussers do a range of valuable and interesting shore jobs.

The RNR may suit you better - do a really useful and valuable role, go to interesting places and also leaves time for you to have a life.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
TeddyT said:
The Commission may be 12 years but the Return of Service will be less; maybe 3-6 years. RoS is the minimum you have to serve of your commission; you can not leave during this. This is so the Navy can re-coup the investment put into your training. You can request early termination of your commission after this (which may, or may not be granted).

Definitely something to clarify with you ACLO.

Yep, the RoS for Logistics Officer is 3 years after completing training, after which it's usual to submit 12 months notice to resign the commission. In total, the average minimum term served is around 6 years.

Your personal life certainly doesn't hibernate in "stasis" whilst your in the services, quite the reverse.

Pwdrin

Midshipman
Swan met is still down the road mun! =P

Would working in a shore base mean that weekends are free? If so I will serve 12 years no worry =P My father has been away all my life and I'm fine!

What other roles are availible shore base? As I know onboard you are fire etc.

Sorry about quick reply I'm school and on phone.

tommo

War Hero
Pwdrin said:
Would working in a shore base mean that weekends are free?

When you are free is purely down to the requirements of the service. You may get weekends off you may not.

It's not Butlins

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
I'm not being rude, but you seem to want to join a Service which operates 24/7/365 all over the globe, doing some difficult jobs in hard places, and to join a branch consistently oversubscribed by exceptionally high quality candidates, and you still are more concerend about getting a shore posting so that you 'can have weekends off'.

The RN is a serious commitment - you can't plan on the assumption that you'll be home most weekends, that you'll do a 9-5 and thats it. This is a lifestyle and a service that sucks you in, and expects a huge amount from you in return for superb rewards. If you are not 100% certain that this is for you, then I would suggest you dont' waste time applying for Logs Officer at AIB - there are hundreds of candidates who have really wanted this since school and understand the deal. You would be better served going RNR and doing work more easily on your terms, as I don't think from your posts that you are really mentally committed to an RN career at the moment.

Pwdrin

Midshipman
Ye I understand what you are saying. But I have been wanting to join the RN for while, I then decided that I will join the NHS or something. Mainly because I wanted to be a pilot and knew there was no hope.

I am commited and want to be on the sea but I feel that my life will have to be put on hold and don't know if im, ready. I've been thinking about joining and find it so hard as I'm in a real realationshop and everything right now.

I also want to be able to settle down that's why Log officer as a career it gives me skills I can take outside the RN

Pwdrin

Midshipman
Ye I understand what you are saying. But I have been wanting to join the RN for while, I then decided that I will join the NHS or something. Mainly because I wanted to be a pilot and knew there was no hope.

I am commited and want to be on the sea but I feel that my life will have to be put on hold and don't know if im, ready. I've been thinking about joining and find it so hard as I'm in a real realationshop and everything right now.

I also want to be able to settle down that's why Log officer as a career it gives me skills I can take outside the RN