Some questions about Logistic officers

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Pwdrin, May 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OK basically I have been thinking and I want to join the RN as a Logistics Officer, after doing a degree in accounting (3 yrs). But from reading online what I seem to understand is that I must serve 12 yrs. Really want to be in the Navy, but at 17 I’m not willing to sign 12 years of my life away. Doesn't seem the best option and ill be like in my mid 30s then.

So my questions are:
    a)How long must I serve? I thought there were different contracts you could sign, I’m looking about 6-9 years.

b)Do you specialize in anything as a logistics officer? Obviously doing accounting for myself?

C) Are there any ex Logistics here? Have you made a career outside the RN? Maybe in accounting or something (Ye I really fancy accounting mind)

D)Would you recommend joining as a officer, or going up the ranks as a rating?

E) What is the waiting list like nowadays? Friend who did some work in the Career office said that its 3yrs for rating and probably more for officers. Is that correct?

F) Would 7 years exp in the sea cadets do anything to help me through the AIB and initial training?

G) Where are the majority of logistic officers serving? Shore or offshore based?

H)Would you recommend doing the AIB in uni? Like at the start of the second year? (Gives me a year and a bit to get fit and settle in)

Now finally any questions for me or anything extra you think might help.

2. Hi!

Welcome to Rum Ration!

I shall do E for you.

The waiting times for Ratings depend on the branch they are going in to. Some times are shorter, eg several SM roles, some times are longer - diver, hydrographic, seaman spec etc.

Officer processing/waiting time is roughly 12-14 months.

3. btw which unis are you considering?

4. Cheers :D

Um Im thinking Swansea Met as its just down the road (30 mins maybe). Did want to do a more intense course (Physics) but then changed my mind. So have yet actually apply, but emailed them, and as they only need 2 D's. (Not even enough points to join the RN). They said that theres enough room for me there.

5. Don't forget you'll need your 180 UCAS points for Officer.

Swansea has a URNU:

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/operati...l-vessels/p2000-class-urnu/hms-express-wales/

6. Ye Im heading for a BCD anyway in A levels plus a Welsh Bac (120 points aslong as I pass two A levels.) So points should be fine.

I will be joining the URNU if they leave me in :p

7. 12 years isn't that long. It depends on what you want out of it. If you're doing it as a boredom thing (for want of a better word) then you'll be disappointed. If you want to actually do something in the RN then you'll be willing to serve for longer.

You'll not be able to be solely an accountant but those skills will cone in useful. Full time MOD accountants are civilians.

By the way, it's the Queen's Commission, not a contract.

Have you thought about the Reserves? That may suit you better.

8. I'm willing to do the 12 years, just don't think I'm willing to sign up for it just yet. And the fact that in 15 years ill be 32 going on 33. I would have more or less missed everything out. Just seems scary as I feel right now that I will lose most of my civvy life.

The only RNR down here do Comms and Seaman I believe for looking into it a few years back. Neither interest me really.

Plus I want to get experience of leading a team, that I won't be able to get till I'm in my late 20's or early 30's.

9. Could you expand on these two, please?

10. I can :D

If I sign up for 12 years, after three years of uni. (That makes the 15.) I will feel I've missed most of my life out, considering its more or less my entire time spent on this fine Earth.
    So I can't really see much time to get a house, a wife a kid and all that, untill im in my 30s, so basically no time to settle down.

2nd one, as a logistics officer I will be a leader, so I will have experience etc for civvey land. If I don't go the RN I will have to start from the bottom, work my way to become a manager (I guess it will take about 6-7 years). Then I will still have no actual experience compared to going to the RN.

11. The logical extrapolation from that is that there is no-one in their twenties serving in the RN who has a spouse, house and child.

12. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

My bold.

Not meaning to butt in as such, but you are not missing anything out staying in civvy street. The experiences you will have serving far outshine any of those that most civilians have by the age of 32. You can still keep in touch with all things civvy through the thing called leave. In any event, those muckers you have when serving become just like family and you'll be in touch for life.

In relation to the SCC thing. If it's like the ACF, the experience will be good, but just don't bang on about it when you join up.

13. The Commission may be 12 years but the Return of Service will be less; maybe 3-6 years. RoS is the minimum you have to serve of your commission; you can not leave during this. This is so the Navy can re-coup the investment put into your training. You can request early termination of your commission after this (which may, or may not be granted).

Definitely something to clarify with you ACLO.

14. Ah Swansea Met, the fools on the hill :D

15. Also remember that Logistics Officers will not spend their entire career at sea, quite the opposite in fact. There are plenty of shore jobs for Logistics Officers and compared to Warfare Officers, they spend a fairly large proportion of their time ashore.

By the way, I'm not bitter, not even half way through the Middle stuck in a box overnight somewhere.

16. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Most logs officers nowadays will only do one, perhaps two jobs at sea. There simply aren't enough hulls left to provide that much seatime now. Instead Pussers do a range of valuable and interesting shore jobs.

The RNR may suit you better - do a really useful and valuable role, go to interesting places and also leaves time for you to have a life.

17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep, the RoS for Logistics Officer is 3 years after completing training, after which it's usual to submit 12 months notice to resign the commission. In total, the average minimum term served is around 6 years.

Your personal life certainly doesn't hibernate in "stasis" whilst your in the services, quite the reverse.

18. Swan met is still down the road mun! =P

Would working in a shore base mean that weekends are free? If so I will serve 12 years no worry =P My father has been away all my life and I'm fine!

What other roles are availible shore base? As I know onboard you are fire etc.

Sorry about quick reply I'm school and on phone.

19. When you are free is purely down to the requirements of the service. You may get weekends off you may not.

It's not Butlins

20. Thanks what would the pension be after say 6 years?