Some good advice needed!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by sixstring, Sep 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey everyone.

I recently had my initial meeting with an AFCO with the intention of entering the navy as a MCD, and my RT is booked for the 23rd of this month.

To be honest, MCD was the first role in the navy that piqued my interest, and at first the 24+ month waiting time didnt bother me too much.

Since going over all the available literature, Ive fallen pretty hard for the idea of the whole Navy experience, the travel, the lifestyle, etc.
    Now, the idea of waiting 2 years to start having those experiences seems a lot worse.

So my question is this.

Which branches of the Navy offer the most opportunity to travel, while having no formal entry requirements, with a shorter wait time?

I so wish I had applied at 16 when leaving school! :(

All the best

2. I think most roles in the Warfare Branch can offer you that experiences. I think Warfare spend more time at sea, giving you the travel but I'm not sure about the entry equirements.

Hopefully someone with better knowledge than me will be along to help soon :)

I'm at the start of a 12 month wait to be a MA, so I understand what you mean about not wanting to wait, but sometimes its better to wait and get what you want than settle for something else just because you dont have to wait as long.
  3. Hey thanks for replying.

12 month I can handle, but 24?? lol. For me that feels like being told its 2 years untill christmas!

I guess I wasnt expecting that the Navy lifestyle would resonate with me as much as it has. It seems to be offering me a chance to achieve every personal goal I have, and have a great time and make money doing it.

Ive never wanted any job/career this much, its all I can think about.

all the best
  4. You're in the same position most of us are in - playing the waiting game! I applied last August and start this November. From reading the numerous threads on waiting times etc there doesnt seem to be anything with a "quick" entry time. That said by the time you've done tests, interviews etc it soon passes. And, hopefully, the RNAC which is a good few days insight.

PS I like the word piqued - I dont know why...I just do. I plan to use it several times today.
  5. Do somthing that you are going to enjoy doing rather than rushing to get into a job you hate. will be worth it in the end
  6. DavidK1983, the use of the word Piqued is a registered trademark of Sixstring enterprises, but I will allow you to use it for a nominal fee.

To everyone, thanks for the replies and advice, I appreciate it. That said, the more I look into various roles, the more I want to do all of them!
    Looks like I need another visit to the AFCO to whittle it down a bit!

all the best
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Spot on.

The jobs are very different & you cannot change trades once you join, regardless of anecdotal trades to the contrary.

Identify the job to which you feel you are most suited then join in that particular trade, regardless of the wait.

Best of luck.
  8. I'll do a deal with you, I promise not to infringe any copyright laws if you answer the following crossword clue:

shows flights of Fancy - ?O?A???S

You seem a very litrate type....
  9. as for MCD, Do you enjoy spending long periods of time looking at your self in the mirror?
  10. I do indeed, although I enjoy most other reflective surfaces as well. Ive been known to check my image on the buffed heads of bald men.

all the best
  11. Davidk1983, you've fucked up elsewhere in the crossword, there's no word that'll fit into those letters and match that clue.