Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Some funny (and not so funny) stuff from across the pond...

Jarhead

War Hero
If we have an unofficial site, i guess it would be this one: www.grunt.com.

Some excerpts:

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-JS Mill, 1863

Former Marines Make A Bride's Wish Come True

Larkann "Lynn" Stewart was 6 months old when her father, Lance Corporal David Stewart, was killed in an ambush in Vietnam on Jan. 13, 1968.

On her wedding day, Aug. 30, 1997, she wanted someone who served with her father to walk down the aisle to give her away.

The problem for the Memphis, Tenn. born bride was that she didn't know anyone who would fill the bill.

Her plight reached retired marine Fred Tucker, the Tennessee commissioner of veterans affairs. He took the problem as a personal challenge and issued press releases, made phone calls, conducted research and contacted several service-associated publications, including Leatherneck magazine.

Response was tremendous, according to Tucker, who verified that Steven Meyer, who lived in Modesto, Calif., near the site of the wedding, indeed served with Stewart.

Meyer said he was happy to be able to serve the daughter of a comrade in arms. At the request of the bride, Tucker, too, took the walk down the aisle.

He flew to Sacramento, Calif., wedding at his own expense.

Re: Some funny (and not so funny) stuff from across the pond

You gotta love a man like this, Humor in the face of defeat.
A Marine was deployed to Afghanistan. While he was there he received a letter from his girlfriend. In the letter she explained that she had slept with two guys while he had been gone and she wanted to break up with him. AND, she wanted pictures of herself back.
So the Marine did what any squared-away Marine would do. He went around to his buddies and collected all the unwanted photos of women he could find. He then mailed about 25 pictures of women (with clothes and without) to his girlfriend with the following note:
"I don't remember which one you are. Please remove your picture and send the rest back."

"Marines are about the most peculiar breed of human beings, I have ever witnessed. They treat their service as if it were some kind of cult, plastering their emblem on almost everything they own, making themselves up to look like insane fanatics with haircuts to ungentlemanly lengths, worshipping their Commandant almost as if he were a god, and making weird animal noises like a band of savages. They'll fight like rabid dogs at the drop of a hat just for the sake of a little action, and are the cockiest sons of bitches I have ever known. Most have the foulest mouths and drink well beyond man's normal limits, but their high spirits and sense of brotherhood set them apart and, generally speaking, the United States Marines I've come in contact with are the most professional soldiers and the finest men I have ever had the pleasure to meet."

Latest Threads