Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some fact checking before SIFT

Sogz

Midshipman
Hi all, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster.

I've got my SIFT interview tomorrow and I'm relatively happy with where my knowledge is at. The one place i'm feeling weakest is what happens after passing out of Dartmouth. I'm applying for Warfare Officer (Submarines).
I know that for warfare training you go to HMS Collingwood, and currently you do your submarine training at HMS Raleigh and HMS Sultan. I was just wondering if anyone could clarify for me in which order you would do these? I'm assuming it would be warfare training and then submarine training, but wanted to check to be sure, as I'm struggling to find a definitive answer online.

Many thanks.

Sogz

Midshipman
That's incredibly helpful Ninja, many thanks. So if I'm reading that correctly I would miss out the 9 month SFT (Second/Supplementary Fleet Time?) and go straight on to the 16 week portion of the IWO course. (Initial Warfare Officer course? Another educated guess.)

Sogz

Midshipman
Ah, I see, thanks for the correction. Relatively happy with what I'll be up to after BRNC, assuming I get that far, now, thanks all.

EDIT to avoid double posting:

Had my SIFT today and managed a 'solid pass', to quote the ACLO. Many thanks Ninja, as he was very impressed with my knowledge of the training pipeline.

Last edited:

Pompey95

Midshipman
So, is it just SFT that warfare officers miss out for submarines?

Edit: Sorry, I couldn't see the image on my phone, how long is the Intermediate Warfare Course?

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS UN Human Rights Council 45: Interactive Dialogue with the Fact Finding Mission on Libya MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UN Human Rights Council 45: Interactive Dialogue with the Fact Finding mission on Venezuela MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UN Human Rights Council 42: Interactive Dialogue with the Fact-finding Mission on Myanmar MoD News 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp SUBMARINE BOOKS - Fact & Fiction Submariners 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Security Council briefing on the UN Fact-Finding Mission in Burma MoD News 0
J the fact that it is also a sunscreen so Health & Fitness 1
O Hms raleigh...fact or fiction? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
S Fact or Fiction Diamond Lil's 5
2_deck_dash 2_Deck_Dash's Fascinating Fact of the day. Diamond Lil's 129
T Myth or Fact? The so-called Crusader Agenda? The Gash Barge 3
U No more unit 1st Aid courses? Rumour peddled (by me) as fact Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 10
I Year Long Mobilizations Fact or Fiction???? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 16
higthepig Interesting Naval Fact Diamond Lil's 6
J LSAP upto 30k buckshee - myth or fact??? Current Affairs 8
J lSAP upto 30k buckshee!!! - myth or fact??? The Gash Barge 1
MoD_RSS Further update to ID checking guidelines MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COVID-19: Changes to DBS ID checking guidelines MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COVID-19: Changes to standard and enhanced ID checking guidelines MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Checking financial models for UK Export Finance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Changes to identity checking guidelines MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Abandonment of credit-score checking merger MoD News 0
2_deck_dash Checking in.... Diamond Lil's 55
T5igger Checking GP records Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
NotmeChief Just Checking Diamond Lil's 0
FinnishMarine1/03 A little help checking a bloke. The Corps 43
higthepig Just Checking In...................... Diamond Lil's 4
Benny687 checking in Diamond Lil's 3
N Spell Checking Diamond Lil's 6
MoD_RSS Govt writes to Brits in Europe before transition period ends MoD News 0
MoD_RSS “Our fresh start means we can make all four corners of the United Kingdom stronger and more prosperous than ever before” MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chilean Chevening scholars meet Ambassador before travelling to the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS All possible measures to be taken before schools and colleges close MoD News 0
J Before I join Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
K PJFT I did mine before my interview. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
K Passed medical, what is next and how long should I expect before intake? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS From the South West to Scotland - check before you travel this summer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS “Events, Dear Boy”: managing incidents before they become crises MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The danger of unsecured loads – Highways England reminds drivers to check before setting off this summer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More Kuwaitis studying in the UK than ever before: op-ed by Michael Davenport MoD News 0
OC Stupid Material to read before entering Joining the Royal Navy 5
MoD_RSS Homeowners need to check before starting work near flood defences MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Check your vehicle for these five things before driving MoD News 0
O Buying Life Insurance before joining... Finance & Pensions 17
P Getting in after messing up before? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
MoD_RSS Regulator highlights areas increasing the risk of non-compliance before new Rent Standard is in force MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Do your tax return before it drives you quackers, you’ve got one week to go! MoD News 0
P How long before should you prepare for the PJFT? Joining the Royal Navy 20
Spiced Buoy Leadership oppertunities before joining as officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
MoD_RSS Student drivers urged to lighten up before taking to the road as Freshers’ season starts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS If your charity last did an annual return before 12 November 2018 MoD News 0