Some advice?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by sambo, Aug 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys,

I'm after a bit of advice if anyone can help......I sat my RN entrance test yesterday and the maths section let me down pretty bad. I had applied to go in for an officer but got told that my score wasn't good enough. They said I had to do a numeracy course and then I could resit in 6 months time. The thing is i'm not sure now whether to join up as a rating, as if I did pretty bad in the entrance test i'm gonna be way out of my depth if I get to the is it worth it?! I'm 23, and wondered if anyone else of my age is/or has been in the same Predicament? I'm worried that if I do go as a rating i am going to be pretty old compared to everyone else? Not sure what to do!!!!!??
  2. You wont be old really by the time i passed out of raleigh i was 22. I would say the average age was aroun 20. There were 2 lads who were 32 in my entry and many between 22 and 32.
    Once you are in the RN the requirments to go officer are not as great. You need to serve a minimum time (think its around 4 years) Have a C's in maths and english language. And be recomended for it. UCAS points ar enot needed as a far as i aware.
    And ex ratings make the best officers. :)
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If you scored too low for Rating as well as Officer in Maths, then frankly you'll have an uphill struggle for Officer. If you scored high enough for Rating but not for Officer, then it's worth re-sitting & applying for Officer in most cases.

Best of luck

Hmmn, many will get a bit miffed at that assumption!
  4. Well, traditionally Officers were always promoted from the lower decks...!
  5. Well its opinion but in my experience a lot of other people agree.
  6. In my experience occifers who were promoted from the lower deck could be split into two types:

1. Great guys who looked after their division and treated their juniors with respect. :w00t:

2. ********* who having escaped the lower deck treated all junior to them with contempt. At the same time they ensured that they kissed arse to those above them. :toilet:

Unfortunately I found very few who fitted somewhere between the two types ^_^;
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'm sure they will my good fellow, however, I've come across so many exceptions from both the Direct Entry & UY route, that it would be extremely hard to diffentiate nowadays, and possibly wiser not too :thumright: