Some Advice Please

Morning everyone!

New poster here and this is my first post, I was looking to get some advice on a couple of different things if that’s ok, regarding joining the navy, age, experience etc - apologies in advance for boring you!

I’m currently 27 but turning 28 years old this week, I have been thinking lately about making another (will come to that in a moment) career change, but here’s a bit about me and my background.
I left school at 16 with very few grades (D’s in the main subjects), I studied Public Services at college with the intention of helping me to get into the police service, but it actually lead me to joining the TA for 3 and a half years. I toyed with applying full time for the RAF and the Navy (Army never interested me in all honesty) then at 19 finally applied for the navy, got as far as my medical but was refused on medical grounds for acne (which still annoys me to this day as it wasn’t THAT bad!), that kind of ended my hopes of wanting to join the forces full time. I got an office job, thinking at the time I’d been turned down for the Navy, and with cuts and the economy being in the state it was about 08/09 I wouldn’t get into the police either. I eventually got my foot in the door with for the police in staff roles. I finally managed to get into the Police is a police officer in 2015, however I left at the end of 2017 for a variety of reasons, with the main one being unhappy and not enjoying the job as I hoped I would. I left the service after 2 and half years but with a Diploma in Policing in my back pocket too (though still trying to figure out what use that is outside of the police!)
I left the police and now work in a control room, but 4/5 months in I can feel something is missing and I am not fully enjoying it, it’s lead me to start thinking again about reapplying for the service - again the Navy or RAF are the only 2 that appeal to me

I’m curious as to the thoughts and experiences people have had on here as to what advice people would give me
I know people will say do what you want to do
A concern is my age - I’m aware 28 is not THAT old, but at the same time I wonder if it might be, to start what is mainly a young persons career as most join from leaving school
Where I would stand in what roles I could go for with my limited GCSE grades and the Diploma in policing I have if it’s even worth the paper it’s written on
Has anyone been in a similar boat previously - what advice would you offer?

Thanks for taking the time to read and look forward to the thoughts anyone can offer and chatting with you all

Good afternoon!

You're only as old as you feel! You are well within the age requirements for the majority of Rating trades, many of which don't require qualifications. My advice is to research job roles on the Royal Navy Website to find what appeals as a career and which ones you are eligible for. There are plenty of "older" candidates entering the Navy and they provide a wealth of life experience and guidance to the younger recruits. You will be starting at the bottom of the ladder but if you are motivated and prepared to accept starting over in a career you should find your feet in no time. It's always worth contacting your local AFCO to discuss your options but do some research into potential jobs first.

There will be lots of people older than you at HMS Raleigh. There was a press story some time ago about one Rating who started the day before his 37th birthday, if I remember correctly.

I don't know whether you are still interested in the Police - you could apply for the RN Police, if you wished.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/career...ions/services/surface-fleet/royal-navy-police

Have a run through the role finder on the website, though, to see what catches your eye.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/Careers/Role-finder

I would give it a go. What have you got to lose?

PS Make sure that you do well in the RT - the better your score, the more options you will have.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers/joining/get-ready-to-join/practise-for-rt-test/reasoning