Some advice from RM perspective

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Gabriel, May 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm 25 and recently applied to join the Marines. I got myself extremely fit and was prepared. But I got some bad news. Dispite passing the eyesight requirements on the chart my prescription is just over the limit as to what the navy accept in my right eye. As such I'm barred from entry.

However, I thought I'd see on the off chance if I could join the army. Surprisingly, after speaking to the army my eyesight prescription is perfectly fine for them. God knows why they have different standards but anyway ...

What I want to know is, from a Royal Marines perspective, who do you consider the best regiment ... Paras or Rifles? The reason I ask is because I get biased answers in the army./ Paras say they are better than everyone and The Rifles say that the paras are outdated.

I'm a bit gutted because the marines was definately what I wanted to do. I guess I'm going to have to settle for next best thing though. Will 1 Rifles basically be doing the same job as Marines next year when they take the Commando role? This is one reason I'm considering Rifles you see.

2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

If you really want to be a steely eyed killer become a chef, the opportunities for mass murder are endless, and, you dont even need to be good at your job.
  3. Best post of the day
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  4. Consider joining the Royal Artillery and do the All Arms Course..
  5. I believe the opportunities for cross dressing in the Booties is best matched with the Paras. I think your best chance lies there. Make sure you keep your M&S receipts though, just in case.

The reason the RM eyesight requirement is higher is to allow for the fact that mascara degrades the effectiveness of the eye. Thus if you already have weak eyes the chances are you would shoot someone on your own side by mistake when dressed to the nines on exercise. The Army encourage poor eyesight, that way they can shag anything that moves without worrying what they look like!
  6. The Army encourage poor eyesight, that way they can shag anything that moves without worrying what they look like![/quote]

Sounds like any matelot (exept Mr Bean) on a run ashore... :D
  7. The Paras soon wont exist as they wont be doing parachute training in the near future.

The rifles wont exist as there wont be any money in the budget to provide rifles - you will have to point your hand (in a gun shape) at the emeny and shout BANG

And the RM wont exist coz, lets face it the way things are going it just wont.

If you want a uniform job, suggest you become parking attendant :twisted:
  8. What is the eye sight requirement for the RM?

Does it have to be 20/20 if not what's the worst it can be?
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

WHOA, there boy!!!

Eyesight standards ARE the same, someone, somewhere has made a mistake!

Go back to the AFCO with your Optician Report Form and ask to book an appointment to see the RN/RM "Herr Doktor" for confirmation.

I've seen opticians state people are below VA3, but the prescription indicates otherwise- check you fall into the correct VA standard. If they confirm you are outside of the limits, ask someone to guide you back to the Army desk: "mind the chair to your left, whoops that's it, there's no steps", & don't say a word about failing the RN/RM eye test!

Good luck mush!
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Generally speaking (layman's terms)if you wear glasses permanently, you can't join the Warfare department as we like to think you're shooting down the correct aircraft. Most other trades aren't as massively as demanding.

Otherwise, get the process going, the RN/RM pays for your eye test & tells you whether you're eligible.

A word of caution, DO NOT undergo laser surgery without first talking to the AFCO - there's a standard letter you can ask for which will explain it all in gory detail.