solicitor

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by DaveyJonesLocker, Jun 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

I dont know if this is the right place for this and I have looked at the web site but couldnt find any useful info.
    I qualify as a solicitor in November 2006 and was thinking about the RN or RM. Are there many legal officers posts available?

Any info on this subject would be great.

cheers

2. To be honest I do not know much about this. However HMS Drake has a civvy onbase who offers his services (or did), worth a look up to be honest.

3. Hi DJL. Following a review of the rules for naval legal training, it has been decided (apparently) that there is no need for in-service solicitors, but a requirement remains for trained barristers. I know a few of these, and a lot have joined up, following legal training, as Logistics Officers and after a brief (no pun intended) complement sea appointment as Deputy Logistics Officers, they are "plucked" from the job and sent away for Barrister training, then a pupillage, then a secondment to some poncy chambers in London.

BUT, there is no guarantee that you will be selected (although it'd be very odd if you weren't - but when were appointments ever logical?), you still have to do the 1yr at BRNC Dartmouth, 4 months Common Fleet Time, 3 (?) months Junior Logistics Officer Course and all sorts of rubbish in between. And then a 2 year job as the Captain's bitch on a frigate!

Best thing is try and speak to someone in the Director of Naval Legal Services' office - a random Careers Office should be able to put you in touch.

4. You might be better looking at the Army Legal Services if you want to practice law in a military environment. 2 years experience post-qualification is required though.

5. I suspect you'll find naval training relativly relaxing at the intellectual level, after doing your Practice Certificate!

Good service to join, though my experience in the mob started as a Junior aged 15! University beckoned after I left!

6. The Directorate of Naval Legal Services are the watchdogs of the Regulating Branch, especially at Courts Martial level. All discipliniary paperwork is submitted to and meticulously perused by them. I found Naval Barristers to be extremely efficient and firm, although a little green about matters concerning the routine of daily naval life.

7. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

I've worked alongside one quite recently and have to say he was a really good bloke even for a Jock ex-copper!