Sods Operas ?

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Yorkie_S/M, Jan 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi I'm new to the site, found it by accident just before Krimbo, and I've enjoyed reading most of it. I'm an ex submariner, served on Porpoise (1st Commission), Sea Scout, Astute and Auriga all D/E, so I have a few dits, I would like to know about your best Sods Opera (s)
    On the Porpoise in the George at Inverary, an exsubmariner ( very successful civvy) put £10 in the kitty (then 100 pints) because that was one thing he missed and he wanted his very broadminded wife to see one, strange we didn't get thrown out.
    On the Porpoise in Londonderry (now Derry) the fwd seamans mess Tea Swindle had too much money in it. So it was 12/6p per man in Daltons Bar, when that shut it was off to the Embassy Ballroom (it got burnt down). That was a great night. I had only been on the boat for 2 weeks and had paid in just 2 shillings ie. 10p.
    Every Sat and Sun in the Bin at HMCS Stadacona dinnertime and evening when the boats were in. Everyone put 1dollar in the kitty whether you were staying or not. We had to march back to C Block the long way because the captain's wife didn't like submariners.

2. Wotcha Yorkie,
    Were you the killick RP2 in Auriga? I was the killick forendie 67-69. Strawbs.

3. What do you mean by Londonderry (now Derry)?

It's still called Londonderry - some people choose to ignore the prefix "London", but the city's official name is still Londonderry as is the county.

For info, calling the county "Derry" is historically incorrect as well as, when the city was just called Derry, it was in the county of Coleraine. Therefore there never was a County Derry, although there was a City of that name (before the times of the London traders).

Sorry to go off-post!

4. Sorry G. Rivet I was on the Auriga the commission before that.
    I was the LREM but I left the navy in 1965 time served but would have signed on except for some sad personal reasons.
    Sorry Angrydoc. I bow to your superior knowledge, I am sure I read of the name change somewhere. Yorkie S/M

5. The George Hotel, Inverary.

I only stayed there once as part of toprpedo trials Unit (Clyde), we normally stayed in the Mackinlays arms, just a bit down the road.
    Owned by a pair of women who wore comfortable shoes, but very nice all the same.

I tried trapping a woman in the George who had a glass eye.

"I'm old enough to be your mother" she said,"just what is your interest in me?"

7. Hi Yorkie,
    Joined boats in 68 and can remember Auriga running. Re sods operas, i think some of the best ones were in the 'Hooley Bar' at Faslance when more than one boat came in together after a patrol . Straight down the hooley bar for a piss-up and the inevitable sods opera , a contest between the boats. Brill! The bar was run by two brown hatters if i remember rightly, and if things got a bit too boistrous they would slam the shutters down and hide behind them till things calmed down! Also remember 'Derry well,with different songs for different bars depending on their religious leanings! We of course didn't give a toss , just loved the singing!
    Happy days!
    Bungy
    I was killick sparker on Ocelot by the way

8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Another one of Gods chosen few. :oops:

9. On the Truncheon we, the forward mess, use to rent one room in The George so that all could have a shower or bath. Also a place for a bag off on the rare occassions someone trapped in that O! so small town. Then in the bar and work our way along the shelf of Malts never knew how many but over a 100 different types in 67'.

Went back to Inverarry two years ago, how small is that place?.

Nutty

11. Bigbungy wrote
    Hi Yorkie,
    Joined boats in 68 and can remember Auriga running. Re sods operas, i think some of the best ones were in the 'Hooley Bar' at Faslance when more than one boat came in together after a patrol . Straight down the hooley bar for a piss-up and the inevitable sods opera , a contest between the boats. Brill! The bar was run by two brown hatters if i remember rightly, and if things got a bit too boistrous they would slam the shutters down and hide behind them till things calmed down! Also remember 'Derry well,with different songs for different bars depending on their religious leanings! We of course didn't give a toss , just loved the singing!
    Happy days!
    Bungy
    I was killick sparker on Ocelot by the way
    Forgot about the 'Hooley Bar' it was run by Miss Crystal when I was there, but the same procedure. Shutters down no more sales etc. She had two young girls to help her.Mind you when the beer ran out and we stopped singing, she would open up again. Good night out really down to the Imps, if you didn't click by closing time (2100) back to the Hooley.