Sod that! - I know bugger all.

Discussion in 'History' started by NotmeChief, Feb 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A paragraph from 'The Battle of Dieppe, 19 August 1942' that I have been reading:

"Jack Nissenthall knew British radar secrets that had to be kept from the Germans, the printed orders received by officers in charge of the Freya assault team stated that the "RDF (radio direction finder) expert must under no circumstances fall into enemy hands." 10 riflemen of Company A of the Canadian 2nd Division's South Saskatchewan Regiment were to provide security for Nissenthall. If RAF sergeant Nissenthall was in danger of being captured by the enemy he was to be killed."
  2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Fcuk all wrong with shooting crabs, If I recall his story correctly he'd of been a touch less obvious if he'd of worn green rig instead of sky blue battledress.
  3. I am always amazed at the seeming nonchalence of the vets, did you watch 'Bloody Omaha' presented by the well know historian Richard Hammond?

They interviewed one of the Rangers that was to scale Pont du Hoc, but he lost an arm before the assault, and it was clear he still had survivors guilt 60 years on.

I also read a great book on holiday about the Beechey brothers, 8 sons joined up for the Great War, only 3 returned. The story was told through their letters to their mum and sister.