Social media... what's acceptable?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Turtle RN, Apr 19, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I understand the security issues that social media can present but what about the rest of it? I'm talking about the MOD guidance rules for service personnel. Things like "maintaining reputation" I do not quite understand? I was thinking if someone posted something against those vague rules before they were in one of the services surely that could not go against them? Any thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  2. Not in the RN but from family members who served in the armed forces, the general rule of thumb I got was don't openly slag off senior personal by name,don't post anything that might seem to be racist, sexist, homophobic etc and try not to take a selfie in front of the plans for our new death ray.

Don't quote me on it because that's the advise given to me by my uncle who is a ex crab now working now as a civil servant for the M.O.D, he's bit paranoid in day to day live.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

There have been articles in the Press of late pointing out the dangers of being to critical of bosses etc. Its not just them that might see it but future employers. The same would go for extreme views ie sexist or racist. Social media is a dangerous place to be, things posted when you are 15 can come back and bite you later,

Do you want to tell us what "your friend" posted?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Nothing has been posted by me or a friend ;) I have however discussed the recruitment process on Facebook and been asked about dates by interested family members. I just wondered where service personnel had to draw the line. Today I saw an article claiming naval personnel weren't allowed to criticise food served to them on base on social media and I was surprised.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It is an interesting one. Before you join, you are not subject to the social media policy but by virtue of the fact you are aware of the policy & the fact your current and future employers monitor social media, if you think it would be unwise to pay for an advert in the national press to make defamatory comments about an employer, then the same goes if you elect to 'publish' the same stuff on social media.

In the case of complaining, the service has a tried and tested procedure and those who don't have the spine to make a complaint about food at the point of delivery, enabling the issue to be addressed, are architects of their own bone demise.

With regard personal security, advertising on Facebook the travel itinery (times, locations, routines) of service personnel in public, rather than private posts is perfectly acceptable if you don't mind being a potential target, but unacceptable for others who may not want to increase the risk of a public slaying, aka Lee Rigby.

In other words, are all your 'friends' people you know and are your posts public?

My advice is to 'be the grey man'. There's a sticky about the subject on the site, if in doubt http://www.navy-net.co.uk/community...ec-facebook-rum-ration-social-networks.60847/

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. I have also been watching the FB presence that launched the crusade on service scran. I slightly disagree with Ninja - the point seems to be that the usual recourse e.g. complaints slips, was being actively ignored (and if you believe the source, "lost" or destroyed) and hence the perceived justification for running this persistent campaign on FB.

That is all and well. The protagonist is self-declared as no longer serving, and this (in his mind) gives him the right to run this campaign on behalf of his brothers in arms as they (the CoC) are unable to "punish" him.

The danger has been in goading others to react to this campaign, who ARE or seek to be serving personnel. From what I can see, some have already fallen foul of the rules as a direct result of this. More fool them. They know the score and they should be more circumspect. Banter is one thing - deliberately undermining morale is another. Whilst subjective, the obvious thing would be not to get involved in it at all and you cannot go wrong.

I have eaten in plenty of service locations and to be honest I have never had a meal that was so poor I felt compelled to complain. It was what it was, and in some cases you console yourself that it isn't necessarily food it is fuel. To support what Ninja said, if you truly are upset about what is served to you then there are channels to allow you to complain. Use them. Dripping about it on FB or twatter will make no difference in real terms and could have the opposite effect in attracting unwelcome attention. Not worth it.

Regarding the object of our discussion, whilst I initially found him amusing I now find his views a little distasteful and this obsession in service scran to be boring now. It would not surprise me that when he was in he was their barrack-room lawyer and that they (all ranks) were probably not sad when he walked through the gates for the last time.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, the trouble is that people are signing a "petition" who have no knowledge or experience of service scran or indeed present day standards, for those who have quit. EG: http://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/sodexo-and-food-quality-at-ctc.89609/

8. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Is this just a natural progression in this time of instant communication, where almost everyone are slaves to their i- phones etc? Gone are the days when people actually 'talked' to each other. It's not just the young, even I, having found the internet, am somewhat under the spell. lol I do try not to be monosyllabic ( ? spelling) though. As has been said before..... 'if you put anything on-line it's there forever'.

• Like Like x 2
  9. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

As for complaining about the food... tell the Cook. I'm sure that he'll put something special on a plate for you. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Never had one of @dapperdunn's Cheesy Hammy Eggies then ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. janner

As an aside, mid '60's I had a 7 day draft to Northwood for an exercise, the Crabs were in charge of catering, watch keepers had a full three course meal around midnight, Cafeteria style but with Waitress's clearing the tables. A Crab Officer came around asking if everything was OK. Once He'd gone I remarked to one of the Crabs on the table that no doubt complaining would have little effect, I was assured that any complaints would be sorted.

I had never seen an RN Officer in the Junior Rates Dining Hall at either Mercury or Dolphin carrying out the same duty.

The 12 hour night watch in the Comcen at Dolphin used to beg grub from the galley and cook it in a frying pan on an electric fire turned on its side.

12. Ninja_Stoker

I believe the RAF had a commissioned concierge branch in those days.
    I hope they observed food hygiene regulations and the 'leccy fire was pat-tested?

13. janner

I took the safe option and stayed clear!

• Like Like x 1
  14. The whole 'shit food' thing was posted here:http://www.navy-net.co.uk/community/threads/cooking-facilities.135104/#post-1319992 and I answered as much as I could in post #3
    Don't believe everything you read, especially in the Daily Mail.

15. Easy tiger :D

My Cheesy Hammy Eggy is a thing of beauty :)

• Like Like x 2
  16. Can you imagine what would happen.

'Alright chaps, everything alright?'

'No'.

'What's wrong'?

'It's shit'

'What's wrong with it'?

'Dunno. It's just shit'

Anything in particular?

Nope, it's just shit. In fact, it's that bad, that when I've finished it and me duff, I'm off to the Colonel.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Believe me I (and others) can (and have) provided specific complaints about the standard of food at Collingwood. Including, but not limited to, portion size, opening hours, cold food, food running out (and I don't just mean one option), the price of retail options and the "chefs" general inability to produce a tasty, nutritious meal. The response from ESS to these complaints has been, wherever possible, to blame the RN.
    It's got to the point where RNLA are nominating food reps on leadership to deal with the complaints.
    People make complaints and they're waved away with poor excuses. This is why people resort to posting on social media.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. @K640

These are more than just food quality complaints and disappointing to see.

Just out of curiosity, how have you made these known?

19. I would hazard a guess that the problem lies with the lack of companies able/willing to deal with the MOD.

20. Ninja_Stoker

I'd be more inclined to submit a written complaint via the service complaints procedure, to be honest. Complaining via social media is more likely to result in disciplinary action against the complainant rather than the situation being resolved and the standards improving.

Whenever I visit Collingrad, having regularly eaten in the JR & SR messes, a couple of times a year, I honestly thought it was pretty good quality - certainly for the price. Maybe it was "staged", I honestly don't know.

I'm there at the beginning of June, I'll report back.