SO1 promotion to increase by up to 20%

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by wave_dodger, Jun 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Check out todays new Galaxy, SO1 (and upwards) promotion to rise by 20+% :thumright:

Heavens what will Norman make of this?

2. That should enhance their redundancy package.

3. wave_dodger

Redundancy package? Last I heard it was an emphatic non-starter.

4. SO1 increasing by 20%?

A - is this just reinstating the reduction in promotion numbers from last years Galaxy?

B - what on earth are they all going to do? Seriously?!

5. wave_dodger

a) no its an increase in the requirement over and above...

b) heavens knows but I work in a place that is "one brick thin" and we are sinking, for want of SO1's.

One thing I do know is that given the funding crisis we have and the manning issues they wouldn't create further posts unless it was necessary.

I will add the Galaxy Ref tomorrow.

6. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Also there is that bulge of SO1s from the old GL promotion round in the 80s that will be retiring soon.

7. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Don't see this as an increase in overall numbers. As Guns says there is a rump about to disappear.

The figure is a percentage increase in the numbers currently promoted. ie in the Warfare world it will mean an extra 8 or 9 bods.

It will also not happen for a few years yet.

8. Rgr, fair enough. I suppose I should be thankful as it'll have (hopefully) a knock-on effect down the line for me (and no, I'm not Norman!).

Here's another question though - with the reduction in SASB2 jobs, can anyone foresee a time where sea command at SO1 is no longer a prerequisite for sea command at AD/OF5 level (a la the RMs)?

9. Interesting idea, it would need a radical re-think of what the OF5 level CO actually does at sea. It does rather open up the potential for lower life forms to argue the case as well.

10. Think in a strategic manner whilst leaving the Spec N to get on with driving the ship and Ops to produce the shortcast...?

On a slightly more serious note, with less than 20 FF/DD, if we do limit ourselves to SO1 command being a pre-requisite for higher drives (and generally higher things) are we not in danger of introducing an unnecessarily early filter (and possibly start a zero defect culture). I can see the validity of the reasoning in the old days when the bridge card was four pages long, but not so much now.

Or perhaps I should stop worrying about big picture stuff well above my pay-grade and get back to fablon-ing my logs for MASC!