Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So you want to be a Royal Marine?

Floppyjocky

Badgeman
Please use this thread for all queries about joining the Royal Marines.

For people answering specific questions it would help if any info given is both current and useful. Feel free to post helpful links.
 

Crabby

Newbie
Just out of interest, does anyone (out of training) know what the accomodation is like at RM bases for singlies, ie single man rooms, project SLAM and the like? I know that its an ongoing process for upgrading accomodation and was quite lucky (near the end anyway) with my last Barrack Block whilst in the RAF, one of the new 'Superblocks', en-suite single man style. Is there much of that type of accomodation available at RM bases? Its not really a pressing concern, as I have lived in some pretty crappy barrack blocks before and it wont put me off joining, but just curious about it.
 

Bergen

ADC
Crabby said:
Just out of interest, does anyone (out of training) know what the accomodation is like at RM bases for singlies, ie single man rooms, project SLAM and the like? I know that its an ongoing process for upgrading accomodation and was quite lucky (near the end anyway) with my last Barrack Block whilst in the RAF, one of the new 'Superblocks', en-suite single man style. Is there much of that type of accomodation available at RM bases? Its not really a pressing concern, as I have lived in some pretty crappy barrack blocks before and it wont put me off joining, but just curious about it.

It's all single man rooms and each has an en-suite bathroom with jacuzzi and bidet. 42 Commando recently upgraded to a Laura Ashley theme throughout the accomodation but 40 Commando has been pressing for a more avante garde style with a much bolder pattern on their duvets. In Arbroath 45 Commando has retained a more traditional tartan decor with additional underfloor heating for those harsh Scottish winters. Bang & Olafsen stereo systems and flat-screen plasma TV's are standard in all units but only NCO's are issued the 42" models.

Oh...... and for the 99% of your time when you are not embarked, living in a hole in the ground or away shagging some gronk these accomodation standards may not apply.

RM
 

nutty_bag

War Hero
Bergen said:
Crabby said:
Just out of interest, does anyone (out of training) know what the accomodation is like at RM bases for singlies, ie single man rooms, project SLAM and the like? I know that its an ongoing process for upgrading accomodation and was quite lucky (near the end anyway) with my last Barrack Block whilst in the RAF, one of the new 'Superblocks', en-suite single man style. Is there much of that type of accomodation available at RM bases? Its not really a pressing concern, as I have lived in some pretty crappy barrack blocks before and it wont put me off joining, but just curious about it.

It's all single man rooms and each has an en-suite bathroom with jacuzzi and bidet. 42 Commando recently upgraded to a Laura Ashley theme throughout the accomodation but 40 Commando has been pressing for a more avante garde style with a much bolder pattern on their duvets. In Arbroath 45 Commando has retained a more traditional tartan decor with additional underfloor heating for those harsh Scottish winters. Bang & Olafsen stereo systems and flat-screen plasma TV's are standard in all units but only NCO's are issued the 42" models.

Oh...... and for the 99% of your time when you are not embarked, living in a hole in the ground or away shagging some gronk these accomodation standards may not apply.

RM

Bloody hell times have changed Bergen!! I would say by your eloquantly put description of the fantastic accomodation afforded to the gentlemen of said fighting units that they are designed by the indelible Laurence Llewelwyn bowen of the chintzy mince and rince T.v programme changing rooms fame. Is this a ploy by HMG to make those individuals of HM Royal Marines softer and more approachable to the enemy? furthermore, do said individuals sit around a bonfire and sing such chestnuts as oggie oggie oggie and 3 wheels on my wagon?? My times have changed :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

StanHalen

Newbie
I am seriously considering applying for the Marines and I have three questions for you fellas.

1. I'm currently at university and will be 28 when finished. It says in the recruitment brochure that the age-limit is 33, but do the Marines regularly take on recruits at the upper end of the age-range? Also, would my age limit the type of roles I may be able to perform within the Corps, if I was sucessful?

2. How will my student loans be viewed? I've been told that large debts may be an obstacle to joining.

3. How good a swimmer would I need to be? I have a reasonable level of fittness from boxing which I can build upon, but my swimming ability is pretty poor.

Sorry for the long and dry questions, but any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Stan.
 

Bergen

ADC
nutty_bag said:
Bergen said:
Crabby said:
Just out of interest, does anyone (out of training) know what the accomodation is like at RM bases for singlies, ie single man rooms, project SLAM and the like? I know that its an ongoing process for upgrading accomodation and was quite lucky (near the end anyway) with my last Barrack Block whilst in the RAF, one of the new 'Superblocks', en-suite single man style. Is there much of that type of accomodation available at RM bases? Its not really a pressing concern, as I have lived in some pretty crappy barrack blocks before and it wont put me off joining, but just curious about it.

It's all single man rooms and each has an en-suite bathroom with jacuzzi and bidet. 42 Commando recently upgraded to a Laura Ashley theme throughout the accomodation but 40 Commando has been pressing for a more avante garde style with a much bolder pattern on their duvets. In Arbroath 45 Commando has retained a more traditional tartan decor with additional underfloor heating for those harsh Scottish winters. Bang & Olafsen stereo systems and flat-screen plasma TV's are standard in all units but only NCO's are issued the 42" models.

Oh...... and for the 99% of your time when you are not embarked, living in a hole in the ground or away shagging some gronk these accomodation standards may not apply.

RM

Bloody hell times have changed Bergen!! I would say by your eloquantly put description of the fantastic accomodation afforded to the gentlemen of said fighting units that they are designed by the indelible Laurence Llewelwyn bowen of the chintzy mince and rince T.v programme changing rooms fame. Is this a ploy by HMG to make those individuals of HM Royal Marines softer and more approachable to the enemy? furthermore, do said individuals sit around a bonfire and sing such chestnuts as oggie oggie oggie and 3 wheels on my wagon?? My times have changed :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lived in a derelict house in Ireland for a while Nutty Bag. Sort of dreamed up the accomodation I described whilst perched on the rafters. Good though eh???

RM
 
Goodness me Bergen, you are multi-skilled!

Diver, trained killer, sex god and now owl!

Indeed a true role model for the wannabes!
 

Crabby

Newbie
Bergen said:
Crabby said:
Just out of interest, does anyone (out of training) know what the accomodation is like at RM bases for singlies, ie single man rooms, project SLAM and the like? I know that its an ongoing process for upgrading accomodation and was quite lucky (near the end anyway) with my last Barrack Block whilst in the RAF, one of the new 'Superblocks', en-suite single man style. Is there much of that type of accomodation available at RM bases? Its not really a pressing concern, as I have lived in some pretty crappy barrack blocks before and it wont put me off joining, but just curious about it.

It's all single man rooms and each has an en-suite bathroom with jacuzzi and bidet. 42 Commando recently upgraded to a Laura Ashley theme throughout the accomodation but 40 Commando has been pressing for a more avante garde style with a much bolder pattern on their duvets. In Arbroath 45 Commando has retained a more traditional tartan decor with additional underfloor heating for those harsh Scottish winters. Bang & Olafsen stereo systems and flat-screen plasma TV's are standard in all units but only NCO's are issued the 42" models.

Oh...... and for the 99% of your time when you are not embarked, living in a hole in the ground or away shagging some gronk these accomodation standards may not apply.

RM

Haha, very good. It was still a serious question though. I do realise that a lot of time is spent deployed, as I spent the majority of my time deployed whilst in. So I take it then that the accomodation is pretty basic, thats no problem, was just wondering!
 

Bergen

ADC
rosinacarley said:
Goodness me Bergen, you are multi-skilled!

Diver, trained killer, sex god and now owl!

Indeed a true role model for the wannabes!

Beetch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What about the interior decorating skills!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perched on the rafters, in the loft, next to the water-tank, observing through a gap in the slates, with a family living in the terraced house next door who do not know that they have two booties as neighbours.........bit like being in the Deeds Cupboard :oops: if you think about it!!!!!

RM
 

nutty_bag

War Hero
Bergen said:
rosinacarley said:
Goodness me Bergen, you are multi-skilled!

Diver, trained killer, sex god and now owl!

Indeed a true role model for the wannabes!

Beetch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What about the interior decorating skills!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perched on the rafters, in the loft, next to the water-tank, observing through a gap in the slates, with a family living in the terraced house next door who do not know that they have two booties as neighbours.........bit like being in the Deeds Cupboard :oops: if you think about it!!!!!

RM

"My name is Bergen Caine and i'm a nosey neighbour" Sorry oppo couldn't resist that even if it's only me who finds it funny, Ah the joys of covert O.P's dont you just love em!!! :lol:
 

nutty_bag

War Hero
Crabby said:
Bergen said:
Crabby said:
Just out of interest, does anyone (out of training) know what the accomodation is like at RM bases for singlies, ie single man rooms, project SLAM and the like? I know that its an ongoing process for upgrading accomodation and was quite lucky (near the end anyway) with my last Barrack Block whilst in the RAF, one of the new 'Superblocks', en-suite single man style. Is there much of that type of accomodation available at RM bases? Its not really a pressing concern, as I have lived in some pretty crappy barrack blocks before and it wont put me off joining, but just curious about it.

It's all single man rooms and each has an en-suite bathroom with jacuzzi and bidet. 42 Commando recently upgraded to a Laura Ashley theme throughout the accomodation but 40 Commando has been pressing for a more avante garde style with a much bolder pattern on their duvets. In Arbroath 45 Commando has retained a more traditional tartan decor with additional underfloor heating for those harsh Scottish winters. Bang & Olafsen stereo systems and flat-screen plasma TV's are standard in all units but only NCO's are issued the 42" models.

Oh...... and for the 99% of your time when you are not embarked, living in a hole in the ground or away shagging some gronk these accomodation standards may not apply.

RM

Haha, very good. It was still a serious question though. I do realise that a lot of time is spent deployed, as I spent the majority of my time deployed whilst in. So I take it then that the accomodation is pretty basic, thats no problem, was just wondering!

crabby

I was a t CTCRM in the early 1990's as what is termed by the corps as a rubber dagger (reservist) The accomodation was very sparse to say the least compared to the RAF whoes accomodation i visited whilst doing my jumps course. Dont expect carpet on the floor and top notch accomodation when you join and you wont be too surprised.
 
Bergen said:
rosinacarley said:
Goodness me Bergen, you are multi-skilled!

Diver, trained killer, sex god and now owl!

Indeed a true role model for the wannabes!

Beetch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What about the interior decorating skills!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perched on the rafters, in the loft, next to the water-tank, observing through a gap in the slates, with a family living in the terraced house next door who do not know that they have two booties as neighbours.........bit like being in the Deeds Cupboard :oops: if you think about it!!!!!

RM

Nothing at all like being in the deeds cupboard. There are deeds in the deeds cupboard not booties passing the time as owls. If, however, you are referring to other activities that go on in deeds cupboards, I will another skill to your list - that of trapeze artist! And don't you call me a bitch! I am a trollop don't you know!
 

Bergen

ADC
nutty_bag said:
Bergen said:
rosinacarley said:
Goodness me Bergen, you are multi-skilled!

Diver, trained killer, sex god and now owl!

Indeed a true role model for the wannabes!

Beetch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What about the interior decorating skills!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perched on the rafters, in the loft, next to the water-tank, observing through a gap in the slates, with a family living in the terraced house next door who do not know that they have two booties as neighbours.........bit like being in the Deeds Cupboard :oops: if you think about it!!!!!

RM

"My name is Bergen Caine and i'm a nosey neighbour" Sorry oppo couldn't resist that even if it's only me who finds it funny, Ah the joys of covert O.P's dont you just love em!!! :lol:

Nutty Bag........you've obviously experienced the delight of trying to defecate into a plastic bag held by your oppo whilst simultaneously trying to stop laughing at the sexual acrobatics of Mr & Mrs O'Brien in the bedroom below. These activities being achieved in a dark cramped space whilst trying to keep Mr. A. Target under surveillance through a 2" hole in the roof and still retain a grip on your L-42 to prevent it crashing through the ceiling, causing Coitus Interruptus and a breakdown in community relations .............now what was that question about duvets????

RM
 

nutty_bag

War Hero
Bergen said:
nutty_bag said:
Bergen said:
rosinacarley said:
Goodness me Bergen, you are multi-skilled!

Diver, trained killer, sex god and now owl!

Indeed a true role model for the wannabes!

Beetch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What about the interior decorating skills!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perched on the rafters, in the loft, next to the water-tank, observing through a gap in the slates, with a family living in the terraced house next door who do not know that they have two booties as neighbours.........bit like being in the Deeds Cupboard :oops: if you think about it!!!!!

RM

"My name is Bergen Caine and i'm a nosey neighbour" Sorry oppo couldn't resist that even if it's only me who finds it funny, Ah the joys of covert O.P's dont you just love em!!! :lol:

Nutty Bag........you've obviously experienced the delight of trying to defecate into a plastic bag held by your oppo whilst simultaneously trying to stop laughing at the sexual acrobatics of Mr & Mrs O'Brien in the bedroom below. These activities being achieved in a dark cramped space whilst trying to keep Mr. A. Target under surveillance through a 2" hole in the roof and still retain a grip on your L-42 to prevent it crashing through the ceiling, causing Coitus Interruptus and a breakdown in community relations .............now what was that question about duvets????

RM

Oh yes indeed!! :lol: biscuits brown usually do the trick at bunging you up but the only problem is when you really really need to lay cable and the clingfilm or said bag aint big enough!!! :lol: L42, showing your age there Bergen my old sneaky beaky oppo!! :lol:
 

Bergen

ADC
nutty_bag said:
Bergen said:
nutty_bag said:
Bergen said:
rosinacarley said:
Goodness me Bergen, you are multi-skilled!

Diver, trained killer, sex god and now owl!

Indeed a true role model for the wannabes!

Beetch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What about the interior decorating skills!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perched on the rafters, in the loft, next to the water-tank, observing through a gap in the slates, with a family living in the terraced house next door who do not know that they have two booties as neighbours.........bit like being in the Deeds Cupboard :oops: if you think about it!!!!!

RM

"My name is Bergen Caine and i'm a nosey neighbour" Sorry oppo couldn't resist that even if it's only me who finds it funny, Ah the joys of covert O.P's dont you just love em!!! :lol:

Nutty Bag........you've obviously experienced the delight of trying to defecate into a plastic bag held by your oppo whilst simultaneously trying to stop laughing at the sexual acrobatics of Mr & Mrs O'Brien in the bedroom below. These activities being achieved in a dark cramped space whilst trying to keep Mr. A. Target under surveillance through a 2" hole in the roof and still retain a grip on your L-42 to prevent it crashing through the ceiling, causing Coitus Interruptus and a breakdown in community relations .............now what was that question about duvets????

RM

Oh yes indeed!! :lol: biscuits brown usually do the trick at bunging you up but the only problem is when you really really need to lay cable and the clingfilm or said bag aint big enough!!! :lol: L42, showing your age there Bergen my old sneaky beaky oppo!! :lol:


My true love is still a SMLE No.4(T) :oops:
 
Hello chaps.

Just need some information and help on joining and please don't be harsh as I know tabbing roughneck types can be a little passive to us Cnut types.

I would like to become an officer in the Royal Marine Commando's in 42 Commando (I think) but ask for guidance along a realistic path. In fact I am not sure what rank I may be able to reach or witch force within the Royal Marines would suit me.

So if anyone can answer all of my queries and give me some undoubted knowledge on a career path tailored for me it would be a huge boost for me. My careers office is unable to assist as they are currently moving to another site.

TK.uk
 

slim

War Hero
Toffiekipper said:
Hello chaps.

Just need some information and help on joining and please don't be harsh as I know tabbing roughneck types can be a little passive to us Cnut types.

I would like to become an officer in the Royal Marine Commando's in 42 Commando (I think) but ask for guidance along a realistic path. In fact I am not sure what rank I may be able to reach or witch force within the Royal Marines would suit me.

So if anyone can answer all of my queries and give me some undoubted knowledge on a career path tailored for me it would be a huge boost for me. My careers office is unable to assist as they are currently moving to another site.

TK.uk

Unfortunately the Royal Marines do not have a witch force. Suggest you try The Queens African rifles where the position of Witch doctor may be available
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Can I wear athletic tape during Royal Marine Commando training ? Joining the Royal Navy 7
soleil Aberdeen Press & Journal: "Commemoration Arranged For Royal Marine Hero And His Son In Beauly" 26/01/20 The Corps 2
R What Qualifications do you gain as an Marine Engineering Technician in the Royal Navy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
J Royal Marine officer specialisations Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
N Interested in becoming Royal Marine Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Naval_Gazer Appeal for info about former Royal Marine The Corps 3
T Royal Marine Corps colours kilt The Corps 7
C Royal Marine RMAD Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
soleil Herald: "Search For Royal Marine Pictured Next To Giant Wave Of Poppies On Plymouth Hoe" The Corps 0
soleil Chronicle: "Appeal For Wellwishers To Attend Funeral Of Retired Royal Marine, 96, Who Had No Family" The Corps 0
A Royal Marine ML saves a life with his Corps scarf. Current Affairs 0
A Royal Marine Record Breakers 21/10/17 The Corps 9
O Royal Marine Police records and other historical info History 3
D Royal Marine and Relocation Joining the Royal Navy 4
1 Royal Marine to SAS Air Troop The Corps 27
Turtle RN Seaman specialist vs Royal marine? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
M I'm very worried about the royal marine psychometric test although I can get through the booklet goo RMR 14
MoD_RSS News story: What makes a Royal Marine Reservist? MoD News 0
R Royal Marine Bandy The Corps 26
drewfester Royal Marine quizzed on going to fight ISIS whilst on leave Current Affairs 2
soleil YouTube: "Royal Marine Presented With Military Cross" The Corps 0
soleil Chester Chronicle: "Royal Marine Sets Wheel In Motion On Tyre-ing Challenge" The Corps 0
soleil Western M. News: "Cameras Roll In Lympstone For 32-week Royal Marine Recruit Course" The Corps 1
soleil ITV: "Military Funeral For Britain's Oldest Royal Marine" The Corps 4
soleil Ch 4 News: "Royal Marine Vehicles Destroyed In 'Anarchist' Attack" RMR 4
soleil Telegraph: "Endurance Race Organiser Admits He Lied About Being An Ex-Royal Marine" The Corps 0
soleil Telegraph: "Royal Marine Who Brought AK47 Home From Gulf War Spared Jail" The Corps 12
soleil Life As A Royal Marine Officer - Video The Corps 0
R Epic Royal Marine Challenge The Corps 3
D How2Become Royal Marine Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
Ninja_Stoker New PRMC Forum - Potential Royal Marine Commandos The Corps 3
O Royal Marine Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
G Royal Marine University Bursary Applicant Training Diary Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
soleil Herald: "Heroic Royal Marine Wins Medal For Saving Comrade Under Fire" The Corps 5
AuldYin Compensation for drunk Royal Marine. Current Affairs 1
Y Royal Marine officer charged with damaging church The Corps 10
MoD_RSS Injured Royal Marine carries Olympic Flame through Peterborough Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS Royal Marine makes judo squad for London 2012 Current Affairs 2
finknottle Injured ex Royal Marine carries Olympic torch. The Corps 6
finknottle Royal Marine pair to make history in canoe race The Corps 4
MoD_RSS New Royal Marine Unit stands up in Scotland The Corps 22
MoD_RSS Royal Marine trains for Olympic Rowing Team Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS Milestone reached at Royal Marine rehabilitation facility Current Affairs 0
Ninja_Stoker Daily Mail: Britain's only female Royal Marine Commando gets married. The Corps 14
M Royal marine waiting list? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
Whistle Pretending to be a Royal Marine? The Corps 62
MoD_RSS Royal Marine killed today in Afghanistan Current Affairs 11
R Deceased Royal Marine John Ellis The Corps 12
soleil www.getreading.co.uk: "Royal Marine Reservist Honoured By Lord Mayor" RMR 0
Ninja_Stoker Potential Royal Marine Officers - Test your State of Mind- Green ops The Corps 13
Similar threads


















































Latest Threads

New Posts

Top