so whats it like? life after raleigh?

#1
hi there im an 18yr old fmle planning on joining up (AET) and was wondering what life is really like after raleigh which i expect to be an "experience" or just friggn knackerin. for example do you get to know loads of ppl? whats the trips ashore like and are they a rarity? and the stereotypes of ramant homosexuality? t or f? these are the sorta things u just dnt ask at the careers office. also has there ever been a time when ny1s just thought **** this im going home?

thanks :)
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
#3
Hello SF,

Welcome to RR.

I'm surprised you didn't feel able to ask those questions at your careers office, you'd be amazed the questions asked.

Chieftiff has probably answered you questions, however the RN website is a good source of factual information once you get the hang of navigating it.

Here's a couple of useful bits:
FAQ

Royal Navy Lifestyle

You can get a good idea of the lifestyle from the Fleet Air Arm forum.

The Royal Navy reflects society as do all the Armed Forces. There have been gays in the services since the year dot, it's only more recently that the Armed Forces adopted the equal opportunities legislation. This means it is illegal to discriminate against anyone on grounds of colour, race, creed, religion, sex or sexuality. If you have a problem with people being treated equally or tolerating people different to yourself then you're advised to seek employment elsewhere.

We do get a few people who arrive at HMS Raleigh, change their mind & do not "sign-on". The vast majority then realise they may have made a mistake & subsequently try to rejoin.

Enjoy the site & I'm also sure you will enjoy the Royal Navy.
 
#4
Welcome Seafruit, you will probably find basic training knackering but throughout your naval career you will meet many people from all parts of the country and from other parts of the Commonwealth too. You will have more than enough runs ashore, to some cracking places as well as a few dumps. As for rampant homosexuality, it doesn't exist. Sure you'll meet one or two but probably fewer than in the general population in civvy street. And whilst it's legal it's not compulsory (yet).

Lots of people have thought about giving up during their basic training and many do, they give up and go home and then wonder 'what could have been'.

Welcome to RR but please please please drop the txt spk shit. You're amongst mainly grown ups who can read and write properly and if you carry on that way you will inevitably attract lots of shit from the pedants.
 
#5
A few questions Seafruit

Do you like people?
Do you want fun and mind doing hard work?
Do you want the closest pals you have ever had (closer than family)?
Do you want a nice paypacket to go with all that?

If you answer yes to those then this is for you. You will wonder why you have wasted your life up to now.

Raleigh is only hard while your there, after you have finished you will say to yourself "It wasn't as hard or bad as I was led to believe".

And after!!!! After is when your really start to live.
 

DancesWithJPA

Lantern Swinger
#6
Yes you get to know loads of people, of varying levels of interest. Trips are good, in 9 years I've been to over a dozen countries on 3 continents, but you won't be spending every other weekend in the Maldives I'm afraid. I've met 3 gay blokes in the Navy, and about 6 girls, so "rampant homosexuality" isn't a way I'd describe it. And once onboard nobody gives a f**k if you're gay, straight or shag midgets at the weekend.

I personally do not shag midgets at the weekend.
 
#11
I should know this, but how tall's 151cm? 5 foot nowt? You're not picking up a three badge killick stoker and getting him out of a compartment if you're too short to ride the Corkscrew at Alton Towers.
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
#14
Whoops, sorry guys I deleted my post about minimum height (151.5cm) for entry in the RN as I thought that maybe it would be considered inappropriate.

Apologies for making the thread look a bit odd. My fault entirely, I'm now sitting on the "naughty step".
 
#17
DancesWithJPA said:
Yes you get to know loads of people, of varying levels of interest. Trips are good, in 9 years I've been to over a dozen countries on 3 continents, but you won't be spending every other weekend in the Maldives I'm afraid. I've met 3 gay blokes in the Navy, and about 6 girls, so "rampant homosexuality" isn't a way I'd describe it. And once onboard nobody gives a f**k if you're gay, straight or shag midgets at the weekend.

I personally do not shag midgets at the weekend.
I'm glad you put us straight on at least one aspect of your life :thumright: - as for the rest you are about bang on.
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
#18
clanky said:
Theres a naval myth which states that the minimum height requirement is the same as Nelson's height.
What, when he's stood on his column?

Actually for those that didn't know the alleged true reason for the minimum height is to do with HWTD. Pardon?

Hinged water- tight doors. You need to be able to put all clips on, lofty.
 

chieftiff

War Hero
Moderator
#19
Ninja_Stoker said:
Hinged water- tight doors. You need to be able to put all clips on, lofty.
That's downright "hobbitist" why can't we just make the doors smaller so that all the tall people hvae to bend down! :w00t:
 
#20
sussex2 said:
DancesWithJPA said:
Yes you get to know loads of people, of varying levels of interest. Trips are good, in 9 years I've been to over a dozen countries on 3 continents, but you won't be spending every other weekend in the Maldives I'm afraid. I've met 3 gay blokes in the Navy, and about 6 girls, so "rampant homosexuality" isn't a way I'd describe it. And once onboard nobody gives a f**k if you're gay, straight or shag midgets at the weekend.

I personally do not shag midgets at the weekend.
I'm glad you put us straight on at least one aspect of your life :thumright: - as for the rest you are about bang on.

Sussex I was going to make a play on words but decided against it as some on here seem a little unsure of themselves. :dwarf:
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dealwithit RFA 8
The_Caretaker Miscellaneous 0
The_Caretaker Miscellaneous 0

Similar threads

Latest Threads

New Posts