So what do you think of 1 Rifles being commandos soon?

Chat_Noir

Badgeman
Deeps said:
I still have my dagger from telic 1 .CO did stop us from wearing it. However every RM I have met since has without exception shaken my hand and said we should wear that dagger with pride .Looking forward to being part of 3 CDO next year on HERRICK 9.QDG (THE WELSH CAVALRY)

Deeps
Excuse my ignorance mate but why won’t the CO allow you guys to wear the dagger?

Deeps

War Hero
It was a few years ago.I think it was all to do with who would wear it. The lads that served with C SQN on telic? The lads that are in C SQN after telic ?what happens to the boys that were awarded the dagger at Umm qasr port by Brig Dutton when they move to another SQN. At the moment there are only about 10 lads still in C SQN that were with 3 CDO on the AL FAW/OP JAMES.We still have loads of pride about the it. We are back with 3 CDO again for Afghanistan next year ,so hopefully we get to wear the dagger with pride once more.

jambosun

Lantern Swinger
I know that the then Brig Dutton tried very hard for C Sqn to be allowed to wear the dagger permanently but believe the Army Dress Committee wouldn't allow it. The paperwork went back and forth for some time at 2* level. One of the arguments against C Sqn QDG (aka the Royal Marines Light Horse!) being allowed to wear the dagger was that it went against tradition. It is my belief that it is exactly this sort of thing that starts the traditions that the Services are so rightly proud of. It was a damn shame that it wasn't allowed to happen. :thumbdown:

agrippa

Badgeman
HarryBosch said:
p.s. Is the pic on here any place?
I don't have it in digital format, I'm at a BFPO for a while now and my photo book is in storage. You can't make any ones faces out as the phot was taken from a 539 LC about 100m out in the lake in the middle of Sadams Palace in Basra! I would love a digital copy of it if ones going though.

Deeps

War Hero
Yes not a very good copy of the photo,if I recall(I saw it at 42 cdo sick bay) shame as it was a great shot and the location was perfect .Agrippa have you seen ''The Daily Telegraph-War on Saddam''book? If so thats me in my doss bag reading a bluey on the Al Faw.

agrippa

Badgeman
No not seen it will try and get it from Amazon, I'm in the Navy one though!! Dave (the Phot) is a PO now and working with the Corp again. go to the MOD site and the phot showing the 4 getting the MM was taken by him too. I have a copy of all the 42 Cdo telic photos if you PM me your address I'll pop it in the post.
Gripps

Chat_Noir

Badgeman
Deeps said:
It was a few years ago.I think it was all to do with who would wear it. The lads that served with C SQN on telic? The lads that are in C SQN after telic ?what happens to the boys that were awarded the dagger at Umm qasr port by Brig Dutton when they move to another SQN. At the moment there are only about 10 lads still in C SQN that were with 3 CDO on the AL FAW/OP JAMES.We still have loads of pride about the it. We are back with 3 CDO again for Afghanistan next year ,so hopefully we get to wear the dagger with pride once more.

Cheers skin, good luck for next year.