So what do you think of 1 Rifles being commandos soon?

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Spartan, Jul 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Lets be honest now, the Royal Marines don't really see as much action as the army. That's why I'm joining the Marines, cos I've had 14 years of firefights, violence and death on the streets of Manchester in gang warfare. It's time for a break for me.

Anyway, what are your opinions on 1 Rifles being Commando trained troops to help you guys out? Do you think these new army commandos are going to be the bomb or do you think it's an insult?

What exactly does "commando role" mean anyway. Is it just the same as "light role"?
  2. Norman returns!
  3. Nah, it's some other turd we've been having fun with on another post.

Hello Adam, still here? Thought you'd have got bored and took HB's advice. Not the Marines advice, the **** Off advice.
  4. I hate the long school holidays! School kids all over the place!!
  5. This is what happens when you get rid of "Why Don't You...."!
    Poor little sod has nothing to do during the day but dream, bless ;)
  6. Hic puer est stultissimus omnium, you might say ;)
  7. Definitely !
  8. Have you seen spartans other thing about the marines getting naked with each other?
  9. jesus - you'd better not join the RM - it might be a let down! all those poor, undisciplined, non-streetwise guys might cramp your style.
  10. Found this online,

"The Brigade structure has recently been enhanced with the formation of 24 Commando Regiment Royal Engineers subsuming 59 and 131 Squadrons and increasing the capacity to bring it into line with the deployable brigades of the British Army. A British Army Light Infantry battalion has also been added to the Order of Battle, 1st Battalion, The Rifles. 1 RIFLES will be assigned as 3 Commando Brigade's manoeuvre support battalion, thus creating a properly balanced all Arms Brigade."

C Sqn of the welsh cav were all given the Cdo dagger Bde flash after telic one but their Co wouldn't let them wear it. It is now on their colours as a battler honour (something like 30 days in constant contact)

I doubt very much if they will all pass Cdo training as they are used to sitting in vehicles, That is not to say that they are not good at what they do,as they are very proven at that role, just age shape and attitude they might not be up to CTC. just my thoughts anyway.

Look here for more reading

19 Feb 2007 : Column 219W

Mr. Harper: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence (1) what steps (a) have been taken and (b) are planned to prepare 1 Rifles for its attachment to the 3 Commando Brigade Royal Marines; [119025]

(2) what operational roles 1 Rifles will play within 3 Commando Brigade Royal Marines; [119026]

(3) whether personnel in 1 Rifles will be required to complete the (a) pre- and (b) full all arms commando course prior to their attachment to 3 Commando Brigade Royal Marines; [119027]

(4) in what way the attachment of 1 Rifles to the 3 Commando Brigade Royal Marines (3 CBRM) will increase the (a) (i) organisational and structural depth and (ii) capability of 3 CBRM, (b) delivery of military capability and (c) depth of relationship between the Royal Navy and the Army. [119286]

Mr. Ingram [holding answer 6 February 2007]: Detailed planning by Army and Navy staffs and the MOD for the attachment of a fourth manoeuvre unit to 3 Commando Brigade Royal Marines has been on-going since May 2005. Following my announcement to the House on 29 January 2007, Official Report, column 4WS, a joint Army and Navy working group is taking forward the planning and implementation of the attachment of 1 Rifles to 3 Commando Brigade from 1 April 2008.

1 Rifles will not undertake the Lead Commando Group role but will carry out the role of secondary assault wave manoeuvre unit in the same manner as other Commando Units.

11. :lol: :lol: :lol: pmsl
  12. I still have my dagger from telic 1 .CO did stop us from wearing it. However every RM I have met since has without exception shaken my hand and said we should wear that dagger with pride .Looking forward to being part of 3 CDO next year on HERRICK 9.QDG (THE WELSH CAVALRY)
  13. QDG all the way!! good effort mate. I was with 42 at the time and thanks from me too!! Damn shame you can't wear them. deserved them every day in my eyes. Did it make it on to the QDG colours in the end?
  14. Yes mate its on the back of all of my C SQN t-shirts its on C SQN flag .We are with you boys again next year and we are looking forward to it. Were you on the big photo taken at Saddams palace with the photo on a RIB on the lake? I am top left next to the Welsh flag. RM all the soldiers (you know what I mean) i have ever worked with. HOOFING!!!!!!
  15. So they should, "Dobbin" was great to work with and for. We were the Lynx and Gazelles doing some of the screening with you.... :thumright:
  16. This is great!!
    Thank you Spartan for starting this thread, who would have known something good would come out of it!!
  17. oh.. yes i was in the photo, sitting on the smally tank thing (top left as you look) arm over the gun. Can't get over how small a world it is
    no doubt see you next time!! Pop in and say hello
  18. I've also heard nothing but praise for what QDG did. Respect, mate :thumright: