So, I failed UOTC selection.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by JCT, Oct 25, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. JCT

JCT Badgeman

However, my aspiration to become a Naval Officer remains strong. I actually failed on the planning exercise. I had 3 hours sleep, was very ill and generally made a complete botch job of it. Part of the problem is that I lack confidence to project my ideas to a group. The disparity between me and my fellow candidates, I think, was mostly a confidence based thing.

I know that many of you are probably of the mind that If I can't pass a simple UOTC selection weekend then I'm not cut out to pass AIB, but I reject that. I don't feel like giving up until Sultan tell me "Please don't ever come back."

With this in mind, would it be a worthwhile 'thing' to join the TA or maybe the RNR to get my confidence up and to make myself a more attractive candidate? Are there other, better ways of going about it?

Many thanks

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I can see why - The thread title doesn't need the word "so".

With regard the OTC, it's a university society with limited places available & not particularly relevant to anyone wishing to become a Naval Officer. The URNU, on the other hand, has more beneficial relevance, but you'll have missed this years intake, even if there's one near your university.

Again, the RNR, strange as it may seem, is more closely aligned with the RN than the Army Reserves. Ultimately, your call.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Seriously, just do some things that will look good on your CV. It's probably pointless trying to join the RNR as you'd be barely trained before you graduate and f off to the regulars - oddly enough they don't really see themselves as providing broadening experience for RN wannabes. Do some other university societies, and if you've got an URNU near, try and join next year. I'm assuming you're a first year now btw.

Why would you want to join the TA/OTC if you want to be a naval officer? I assume travel budgets these days are shot to b*ggery, but 14 years ago my nearest URNU was at a university over 60 miles away and it didn't stop 3 of us going there every week and 3-4 weekends a term. Just because it's not on your doorstep...

In other news... Does anyone else despair about the lack of common sense these days? I honestly blame the internet and the expectation that every question can be answered by someone else. I'm only 32, so I'm not exactly cut off from the modern world, but I'm pretty sure that I turned up to the AIB in 1998 on the basis of a 2 page leaflet and hoped for the best. I was also in the lower sixth so hadn't had any experience of life except school. I dread to think what it would have been like if I'd had an outlet for all my random questions, rather than just taking it on trust that things would probably work out.....

• Like Like x 2
  4. Don't give up.

I failed AIB terrifically first time around and was advised against applying again. I then went out and gained relevant experience for the role I was applying for and boosted my CV mainly through voluntary work and sports clubs. I then applied again a couple of years later and achieved a good pass mark.

My point being is that you need to work on the areas where you're weak. I'm going to skip past the stuff about illness and sleep because these can be overcome with a bit of mettle and belief in yourself. As for having low confidence in group situations goes, the only way to combat this is to get involved in as many of them as you can; you need to make the mistakes which will force you to adapt and evolve in these situations. A good thing is that you know where you went wrong - I wouldn't beat yourself up over it or over analyse how you performed on the day but instead make provisions to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Someone dumped a load of planex docs on here somewhere (try searching planex or planning exercise in the search function). Have a go at those and get used to timing yourself whilst you're doing them. Remember - Aims in priority order - What resources do I have - What are my limitations? - What is my plan going to be? It's that simple but thinking this way can be difficult, especially when under pressure.

As far as joining RNR is concerned - I was advised against doing this by my ACLO as it takes a while to complete training and pass out. Instead why not try and join another uniformed service: Special Constabulary or St John's Ambulance maybe? They're both great to have on your CV and involve lots of team discussion and planning as part of their training package.

Best of luck.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Spot on....

6. JCT

JCT Badgeman

This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Thank you for your advice, everyone.

7. I was probably (allow me some modesty!) one of those idiots 6 years ago when I rocked up for the AIB, and I'm fairly sure there are some exceptionally bone questions that I asked on many a thread (hell just look at my username!) The post on the other thread about the Navy wanting "Half-wits" is probably relevant!

I think that mostly it is because the internet enables us to have asked such bone questions, anonymously, that we feel we can, in the same way that the anonymity of the internet causes trolling, so does it cause daft questions on forums! When you consider that you are trying to sell yourself over many other candidates, you might well be reticent to ask your AFCO these questions, lest it be held against you!

8. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

No offence but lack of sleep and illness doesnt count - what happens if you are on deployment, seasick and then have to make some pretty tough calls?

Bottom line - you failed because you currently do not possess suitable leadership skills. Work on this, not trying to find excuses to cover for your own failings.

Sorry to sound harsh but ultimately if you wish to lead, you need to work on your weaknesses and not try to find excuses for them.