So glad I'm leaving

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Sparrowhawk01, Aug 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bad link, Sparrowhawk.

2. What many people do not realise is that for most dyslexia whilst it may make parts of learning and reading and writing difficult it does not impair the ability to learn or signify reduced intelligence. Many with the problem have learnt to overcome the difficulties presented and do very sell in their chosen careers.

It seems to me that in this time of difficulty in getting decent recruits perhaps not discarding some who may present training challenges is worthwhile.

What was most worrying about this case is the fact that diagnosis was so late, early diagnosis can allow sufferers to learn how to cope with the problem long before they reach the world of exams and work.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It's probably worth pointing out that whether an individual has dyslexia or not, they must still pass the Recruiting Test with exactly the same time parameters & identical conditions to all other applicants throughout the selection process, there are absolutely no concessions.

The test is written on pastel paper & printed in arial round font, which is supposed to aid dyslics however they join on a level playing field.

4. Oh, don't. the outrage bus hasn't been given a run out for ages :)

What p!ssed me off was the implication that nobody with dyslexia had got through training before. Probably need to hand in my membership card for the National Dyslexics Association (DNA)

5. Should that not have read NDA :D

6. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

With very good reason - there have been successful dyslexic recruits for years...

7. Indeed, but it is only recently that the problem has become more acceptable in polite society. In the old days most of us did as much as we could to cover up our crap reading or writing or spelling

8. Dislexia is certainly no indication of lack of intelligence or ability. Apart from reading of course. The actress Susan Hampshire “suffers†from it. A friend of my son has it and is at university studying history.

Interestingly (or not) when I joined up in 72 there were three lads in our class at Raleigh who were classified as ESN (Educationally Sub-Normal). Nobody got outraged about that.

I wonder what happened to them. Possibly became splash target cox’ns. :roll:

9. How can this be a level playing field? On one hand the new recruit with "learning difficulties" has to pass the entrance test and then gets special tutors at Raleigh - all at an extra cost to the RN purse. Does this mean that the entrance test is worthless as the test is to weed out the people who are not suitable .. for whatever reason.

Is the RN that desperate for people to join that they will jump through hoops to get them in?
    Think I have just answered my own question.

10. Probably Commodores or Admirals by now 8O

11. We're not desperate, most jobs are filling up nicely (Thanks to me and Ninja) hence the longer waiting times. The RT test does de-select the ones who are not likely to pass the academic training involved in getting into the RN. I currently have about a 50% failure rate in my office, so it's obviously working in selecting candidates that are more likely to pass the theory element of training. Dyslexia is not proof that someone is incapable of doing the job and giving them some extra help doesn't gieve them an unfair advantage.

When I was still at sea, there were young guys joining the ship with NAMET scores that were frightening, but the worst lads I had seemed to be the ones who had loads of qualifications including degrees, bgut no common sense. There is no test for common sense, but I wish there was.

SM

:)

12. It may be just a rumour, but I’ve heard that Stephen Hawing has applied to join up as a PTI. 8O

13. OK, the dyslexia I can deal with, I think we all met lads who were a little behind the curve whilst in and they dod a good job. The bit that caught my attention was this :-
    She has also been diagnosed with Irlen Syndrome, a specific type of perceptual problem that affects the way the brain processes visual information, which can be controlled through assessment and coloured filters.

Now as we all know the mob loves to colour things for easy identification (missiles and shells come to mind) how is young NA here going to deal with this situation without her rose tinted glasses, it does seem we are bending over backwards to include people now instead of looking to the good of the Service, SHip and Ships Company.

14. I would suggest that dyslexia is not in reality a learning difficulty, those who suffer usually have no difficulty learning as such, indeed many are very intelligent and very capable. Many people have managed in the mob with dyslexia, but because it was not either recognised or looked on as some form of mental ilness which it is not, they hid it and made do and got on with the job.

In general dyslexics need to learn different ways of learning to overcome the problem and in most cases they can do so quite well.

I suspect that in this case the extra emphasis was as much the system looking at making it's teaching systems more effective in dealing with dyslexics to improve the chances for those undiagnosed suffereers who pass through the system.

15. A couple of questions, maybe even rhetorical ones...

How many contibutors to this thread have first or even second hand experience of dyslexia?

What defines intelligence?

How about some more thoughts:

Is it intelligence purely academic? How about emotional intelligence - Many academics are emotionally devoid or disconnected. How about physical intelligence - Hand/eye co-ordination? Artistic intelligence - languages are considered an art.

There are many jobs around requiring different forms and levels of intelligence in these forms. Has the Armed Forces missed the point when testing its recruits?

16. Firstly, sorry for the poor link, secondly thanks for the correct link and thirdly, my intended point has been well adressed. I am not against anyone with learning difficulties joining up, far from it my middle daughter has severe dyslexia and copes very well. I am however, fed up with nambie pambie pieces of MOD news that over exaggerate and fluffyise our service. Hence, SO glad I'm leaving.

17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'm far from a supporter of the Recruiting Test in its current form, however it is there to assess the individuals intellectual capacity to complete phase two training without extra tuition. The rest we establish at interview.

The idea of the test also helps establish the individuals' ability to rapidly & accurately interpret & pass written information.

In the ideal world the recruiting test would be put onto a computer (a facility the Army has used for 12 years or more) to eradicate the inevitable errors that occur in marking the test manually in a method devised & employed since 1943 & found to be woefully inadequate & hugely time consuming.

To give an idea of the archaic system currently employed: A test comprises 120 questions, which have to be manually marked then cross-checked. Therefore twenty "testees" ( :D )will require 4,800 questions marking whilst they wait for the results. Not good for either those marking or those whose career depends on the accuracy of the result.