So called 'bedroom tax' suicide.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Flagdeck, May 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bedroom tax blamed for gran's death - MSN News UK

Tragic as any suicide is, to blame it on a tax that isn't a tax seems a bit of a 'cop out'.
    A cap on housing benefit and a reduction of that benefit for having a spare room is not a tax.
    The only way that 'tax' plays a part in all this is....it is the tax 'payer' who funds the welfare system.

2. So a single mother who has been on benefits all of her life thinks that she should be allowed to occupy a three bedroomed house at the expense of the tax payer.
    Looked up the medical condition she is claiming for and it really is nowhere near as bad as it sounds, affects mainly face muscles.
    Notice the son is a lorry driver so must be earning a reasonable salary, why did he not offer to help his mother financially until she was re-housed.
    Time for those living in social housing funded by the benefit system to realise that the pot is empty.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Was this woman offered smaller/cheaper accomodation? The Bedroom Tax as it's called seems to be a fair tax ONLY if other accomodation is available and then if it is refused,

• Like Like x 3
  4. They have just shown a report on BBC Midlands news and the lady's last note to her son did blame the introduction of the "bedroom tax"(or the government) for her decision to take a walk amongst the traffic on the M6.Her son said she couldn't afford the extra £20 per week to stay living alone in her 3 bedroom house nor did she fancy moving home to something smaller.
    I can well imagine that if a person has lived in the family home for along time and is left living alone as the rest of his/her family has moved on there will be a high level of attachment and fond memories associated with it.In time past it seemed that councils very much soft pedalled the option to move to something more suited to a single person.They were getting their rent either from the tennant or from Social Security so it was a win/win situation.Now the UK population has risen but the number of social houses has not kept pace so something has to be done to try and get the right famillies in the right homes.The current government has decided to try and force the pace a bit and it is inevitable that there will be some who resist or take other options.

• Like Like x 1
  5. The poor woman picked a violent way to end it all. Mrs F's brother lives on his own in a 3 bed that would be ideal for a family and he refuses to move. Local authorities need to be more proactive in helping the less able who should be moving to find an alternative.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Is Mrs F's brother in receipt of housing benefit?......if not.....nowt to worry about.....as I see it, as long as he pays his rent he has no problem......or have I got this all wrong. :scratch:

7. As he is on the basic state pension I think he must be, he won't move out as he was born in the house 67 years ago.

8. You have to blame past councils and private landlords partly for the situation. (Not specifically this case).

If they, (councils/landlords), had monitored the occupation of these 'rented' properties surely they could enforce re-occupation to more suitably sized accommodations thereby ensuring younger growing families have suitable sized homes to move into and not become a vastly expensive burden on the social purse by being set up in more expensive private housing.

Sad to think someone has taken their life over what is really a bad taxation idea!

9. Social housing stock is typically three bedroom semi-detached or terraced housing. There is a dearth of smaller two and one bedroom properties that would be more suitable alternatives for elderly couples, single people or smaller families. To impose this subsidy without taking account of local availability of suitable alternatives is dismissive and callous. These bastards need their necks stretching.
    As for the pot being empty, the same could be said for any publicly funded benefit, armed forces and public service pensions for instance. This country has sovereign debt that is more than four times its GDP and we just cannot sustain the sort of increasing public spending we've seen since 1945. In fact, the time is already approaching when our GDP won't even cover interest payments on that debt. We can teeter along at the moment because our credit rating allows us to borrow cheaply but if growth remains sluggish and our rating is downgraded there will be an instant increase in the cost of borrowing and then we'll really be in the shit.
    By the way, reducing the deficit has nothing to do with reducing our national debt.

• Like Like x 2
  10. And you would propose what?

11. In the Cornwall area for example there is plenty of 1-2 bed accommodation for these to move into. They just don't want to move out for families who require the larger house. There is a lot of families requiring 3-4 bed social housing in Cornwall but couples without children/ older couples who kids have moved out etc refuse to move. So the bedroom tax on these people is just IMO

Every turn of the shaft is a new adventure. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  12. What has this to do with landlords? They have no "rights" per se in the continued occupation of their properties. I can see the headlines now, "landlord attempts to evict model tenant in order to get more rent" or similar! Also, if they get a new tenant that is going to claim HB (because no new tenant is actually on HB) the claim is vetted and approved by the local authority; which also sets the rate at which HB will be paid. The landlord again has no rights in regards to either the amount of HB or how it is paid to him (although in the latter case there can be exceptions with the agreement of the tenant).

As to this being a tax, as has been said above, how is this so? All that is happening is that retrospectively those that rely on HB are effectively being told to do what the rest of us do ie live within our means.

IMD

13. One less sponger us hard working taxpayers have to fork out for.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Your compassion for a fellow human being (assuming you are one of course) who was obviously in distress is quite touching. I am sure her family will be re-assessing their shock and grief in light of your reasoned comment above.

Tard.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Forgive me for being a little brutal here, I live a relatively comfortable life, I have one darling daughter wouldn't have minded a brother or sister for her but it didn't happen sadly. I would not have had more because I could not have given them the standard of life I wanted them to have. What we have now is feckless parents who see the more children they have the more benefits they receive and show fcuk all responsibilty for the upbringing of said children who just inherit the ways of their irresponsible parents fueling the vicious circle of relying on benefits and fcuk all ambition to better themselves.
    In this modern age why should councils be expected to provide 3 and 4 bedroom houses to people?? surely the answer must be 1 or 2 bedroom houses if a family chooses to have more children let them find their own fcuking houses.

• Like Like x 4
  16. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Mod Edit: Some pruning done. Keep it private or in the appropriate threads, please.

• Like Like x 1
  17. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

In the BBC link to the story, it stated that, "A spokesman for the Department of Work and Pensions said it was not appropriate to comment on individual cases."

However when Mick Philpott murdered six children, the Conservatives were quick to blame the Benefit System. Funny, that... :oops:

18. Department for work and pensions.

19. I read recently that with some of the old local authority agreements it's not illegal to sublet your council house if you're the tenancy holder, if true what a bloody ludicrous situation.

There was a situation recently of a serious lottery winner who refused to move out of his property because the rent was cheap & the local authority couldn't do anything about it, when asked to justify his attitude he publicly said he didn't give a toss about the housing situation & he wasn't moving out stating "it's not my problem".

The whole local authority housing stock situation needs sorting out & selling off & sooner rather then later.

It's not that we don't have enough houses, it's we have to many people trying to live on this small island, don't build anymore houses reduce the poplulation. :angry5:

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  20. Sorry Sarge,I'm struggling to see the irony that you're trying to show.As far as I know the coroner is yet to declare his thoughts on the lady who allegedly took her own life so it really is inappropriate for DW&P to comment while the other case you cite is a convicted murderer who made no secret of his benefit provided lifestyle.