Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SNP win a majority in scottish parliament.............

smellyirma

Badgeman
Simple really,

bring jobs to Guzz for the sub base and jobs to Pompey for the refits and leave the sweatys to their own defence.

Will also mean they will no longer have free prescriptions and university s for themselves and us paying for it.

A winner all round for the English especially.
A winner for Scotland also, maybe we could rent the base out to another interested naval power, such as Russia.:evil3:

flymo

War Hero
A winner for Scotland also, maybe we could rent the base out to another interested naval power, such as Russia.:evil3:

Wasn't that one of the worries with N Ireland becoming part of the Republic. The Republic couldn't afford NI so the money would have had to have come from somewhere. Our own home grown Cuban missile crisis but without the good weather ...

Letsbeavenue

Badgeman
To get nearly back on topic from today's Sunday Torygraph..."an independently-commissioned poll puts those in Scotland in favour of independence at 52%...while the percentage of English who want to ditch Scotland is 59%!" Win-win.
I say, give those north of the Border the vote...if they vote 'yes' they can take their MPs out of Westminster and we can stop the billions uni-directionally flowing north, if they vote 'no' we can burn the profligate Scottish Assembly to the ground and Salmon can take a running jump...
Just my opinion..

flymo

War Hero
I really do hate all this divide and conquer stuff. The UK is stronger when we all stand and pull together (I'm sure there is a joke in there waiting to be dragged out ..) After all, isn't that one of the ideas of the EU - to then counter the influence of the USA and then counter the rising influence of India and China?

finknottle

Banned
I know we Scots are incredibly popular with the girls but we can't possibly have serviced all the girlfriends of the ‘Let’s Get Rid of Them’ English clique; or have we?

AKA Norris

Last edited:

trelawney126

War Hero
I really do hate all this divide and conquer stuff. The UK is stronger when we all stand and pull together (I'm sure there is a joke in there waiting to be dragged out ..) After all, isn't that one of the ideas of the EU - to then counter the influence of the USA and then counter the rising influence of India and China?

It would be nice if the purpose of the EU was to benefit the European Communities, to fully enhace the co-operation of member states, sadly it has neither fulfilled its full potential or indeed any of its potential. In reality it has become the worlds laughing stock. Can't make it in your own sphere then get yourself to a member state, claim asylum and then get citizenship, then freeload.The only purpose of the EU is to raise revenue and provide sinecures for the likes of Blair, Kinnocks and a plethora of other politicians who are past their best before dates. The upper management are unelected and unsackable and those which are elected live a high life on expenses, and salaries in excess of that which a QC can command. No, let Scotland have its say, at least the SNP will be one party that promises a referendum and then delivers.:pottytrain2:

RoofRat

War Hero
Her in doors dosn't usually say much about politics. But this rung a bell after she had heard on the news that the SNP would have a Referendum for Scottish independence in the next 5 years.
Quips her, "How much of the National Debt will they take with them when they go?"
Roofs

flymo

War Hero
It would be nice if the purpose of the EU was to benefit the European Communities, to fully enhace the co-operation of member states, sadly it has neither fulfilled its full potential or indeed any of its potential. In reality it has become the worlds laughing stock. Can't make it in your own sphere then get yourself to a member state, claim asylum and then get citizenship, then freeload.The only purpose of the EU is to raise revenue and provide sinecures for the likes of Blair, Kinnocks and a plethora of other politicians who are past their best before dates. The upper management are unelected and unsackable and those which are elected live a high life on expenses, and salaries in excess of that which a QC can command. No, let Scotland have its say, at least the SNP will be one party that promises a referendum and then delivers.:pottytrain2:

Perhaps, I should have typed "wasn't" instead of the present tense "isn't that one of the ideas of the EU". Concur completely with your thoughts on the EU. I did a posting some months back on how much the UK pays into the EU. Can't recall the exact figures but they were obscene.

diesel

Lantern Swinger

These are some oil fields and the different national waters etc. There many gas fields further south.

The sweaties seem to think they own, or will own, the North Sea should they gain independence.

Note the PJ border. There is more oil to the NE of course hence the recent Rockall ownership discussions and that other failed economy, Iceland.

I, for one, do not want to protect the Jocks from the Europeans any more. Give them independence and let the EU swallow them up just like Ireland.

:idea:

In fact we helped bail Ireland out; perhaps we should ask them if they would like to take the the frisps place.

At least they can play rugby and football (and the women are classier) brushteeth

finknottle

Banned

These are some oil fields and the different national waters etc. There many gas fields further south.

The sweaties seem to think they own, or will own, the North Sea should they gain independence.

Note the PJ border. There is more oil to the NE of course hence the recent Rockall ownership discussions and that other failed economy, Iceland.

I, for one, do not want to protect the Jocks from the Europeans any more. Give them independence and let the EU swallow them up just like Ireland.

:idea:

In fact we helped bail Ireland out; perhaps we should ask them if they would like to take the the frisps place.

At least they can play rugby and football (and the women are classier) brushteeth

Such bitterness, some Scot must have given you a very hard time somewhere along the line. =-)

finknottle

Banned
Shirley not Brown? ........Blair?

Fiona?

Or Cameron with his Scottish roots. If the separation were to come about I very much doubt if you could find an Englishman of calibre to run your country but have no fear we could always lend you one of ours at a price.

Of course another reason for all this vitriol could be the fact that we have been subdued but never conquered whereas the English have been conquered twice.

Deep down I don’t really give a shite as I have planked away enough bawbees to keep me in comfort until, in the words of that son of the manse Tennyson I have crossed the bar.

Aye, but if you remained true to type I'd guess that very few of your ain bawbees ever crossed any bar:wink:

IIRC - In Scotland a round was purely a boxing term.

finknottle

Banned
Aye, but if you remained true to type I'd guess that very few of your ain bawbees ever crossed any bar:wink:

IIRC - In Scotland a round was purely a boxing term.

The belief that we Scots are tight is an utter fallacy; a more generous race never drew breath. I do recall an English club swinger one ‘Dancing Dave’ who never bought a wet in his life; I have to admit that I had to admire his skill as a minesweeper of brilliance.

BTW,

One of my happier experiences of Scotland was crossing the Erskine bridge, going South.(As one with any wisdom does - just count the ex-pat Scots if in any doubt.)

'twas early in the day after the old Queen Mum (RIP) had opened it - I presented a note of some descript but your man in the booth had nae change, so we were waved thro' on a freebie!

Happy days, esp. as the old ferry it replaced had no bar.........

broadside

War Hero
BOOTWU - Any chance you could "text wrap" your username or alternatively add a blank line to the start of your posts? I find it very frustrating trying to decipher the first word of each post because it is obscured by the tail of your username.

I appreciate that this may seem a bit trivial and I may be alone in being "troubled" by this but I just thought I would make the plea as, in the main, I enjoy your contributions to the various threads and don't want to have anything detract from my reading/understanding of the content.

diesel

Lantern Swinger
Such bitterness, some Scot must have given you a very hard time somewhere along the line. =-)

There have been 11 Prime Ministers that have been born specifically outside ENGLAND. There have been 3 that have not been born in Britain or the UK.

John Stuart, 3rd Earl of Bute (1762 - 1763) Scottish, born in Edinburgh

William Petty-FitzMaurice, the Earl of Shelburne (1782 - 1783) Irish, born in Dublin

Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington (1828 - 1830/Nov-Dec 1834) Irish, born in Dublin; although he fiercely considered himself English by stating "Being born in a barn does not make one a horse" :-D I like that

George Hamilton-Gordon, 4th Earl of Aberdeen (1852 - 1855) Scottish, born in Edinburgh

Arthur Balfour (1902 - 1905) Scottish, born in Whittengeham, East Lothian

Henry Campbell-Bannerman (1905 - 1908) Scottish, born in Glasgow

David Lloyd George (1916 - 1922) Welsh, although immediately born in Manchester it was during his parents return to their native Pembrokeshire

Andrew Bonar Law (1922 - 1923) Canadian, born in Rexton, New Brunswick

Ramsay MacDonald (Jan-Nov 1924/1929 - 1935) Scottish, born in Lossiemouth, Morayshire

Tony Blair (1997 - 2007) Scottish, born in Edinburgh ; did 3-4 years in Australia, short time in PJ land on return and then England for education??:slow:

Gordon Brown (2007 - 2010) Scottish, born in Giffnock, East Renfrewshire

I think it's the last two that did it for me.

Take the Scottish involvement in recent Lybian history from Lockerbie to the present day for instance.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dapperdunn SNP Arrogance? Current Affairs 25
drewfester SNP demands Scottish fisheries have veto on excercises. Current Affairs 21
W The SNP The Gash Barge 17
trelawney126 SNP Defence Policy takes shape The Gash Barge 0
soleil SNP Press Release: UK Threat to Navy's Presence in Scotland Bases / Shore Est 12
soleil Scotsman: "SNP will let English keep military bases" Bases / Shore Est 10
NotmeChief Britains future depends on the SNP. The Gash Barge 14
S Vote SNP Current Affairs 22
M SNP, Scotland and the Navy The Fleet 75
MoD_RSS Projects to heat homes through disused mines and faster offshore wind farm construction win government backing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Q Developments win Homes England masterplanning award for planting housing on Surrey garden centre site MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Northern Irish firm doubles turnover thanks to Dubai export win MoD News 0
MoD_RSS It’s a national effort to win coronavirus fight, we all have crucial part to play MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DBS Digital win Best Use of Customer Insight Award MoD News 0
MoD_RSS LLWR apprentices show business flair to win Challenge MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Win for British farm as cabbages allowed into Malaysia MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NDA group enjoys a big WiN at awards ceremony MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Community projects across north compete to win Pacers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chance to ‘win while you save’ with new credit union prize account MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK-made Freddie Mercury bust £1m win for Queen charity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £20 million export win for Liverpool supercar manufacturer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sussex soap company soaks up £100k Japanese export win MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Out of this world ideas win funding in space competition MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: A World To Win MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Nuclear employees WiN big at national diversity conference MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Innovative digital projects to improve public services win funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Magic beans and buzzing coffee win international science award MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: York graduates win £25,000 national video game competition MoD News 0
Simon - Quest Magazine Win a limited edition signed print from Jacqueline Hurley’s War Poppy Collection Competitions 0
MoD_RSS News story: Women winning battles: Recreating the Wrens unit which helped win the War MoD News 0
soleil Forces Network News: "Former Army Captain MP Blames 'Defence Cuts' For Labour Win In Military City" Bases / Shore Est 5
MoD_RSS Speech: How Global Britain is helping to win the struggle against Islamist terror MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Armed Forces' double win at UK Race Equality Awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Thinking to win MoD News 0
BillyNoMates Win. Blue Jokes 0
Bad CO Win A Set of Body Armour Worth £500 Competitions 8
Ageing_Gracefully Win a trip to Venice Competitions 0
soleil S. Echo: "Nuclear Submarines To Be Based In Sunderland If Scots Win Independence" Submariners 7
S Navy may win at Twickers next year Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 18
Mongke's_Fist Competition: Win an Apple iPad mini (Rumration approved) Competitions 9
Mongke's_Fist Competition: Win an Apple iPad mini (Rumration approved) Charity 4
BFRS Configuring, Managing and Maintaining Win. Server The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
P Carriers win F35 RAF Battle Current Affairs 12
trelawney126 No Win No Fee Lawyers hit a new Low Current Affairs 9
F How to win friends and upset people. Current Affairs 11
MoD_RSS IN PICTURES: Ice patrol ship photos win Royal Navy annual awards Current Affairs 0
Naval_Families_Federation Win Tickets to Scott’s Last Expedition – At the Natural History Museum, London Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces rowers win gold at World Cup Current Affairs 0
finknottle Aung San Suu Kyi's election win Current Affairs 9
Bad CO Xmas Give Away - Win a £50 Amazon Gift Voucher Competitions 15