SNP, Scotland and the Navy

msralmjs

Midshipman
If the SNP are successful in next year's elections and work towards full indepencence takes place.... where does that leave the Navy?

If we have to split the fleet, they can have the P2000s!

msralmjs said:
If the SNP are successful in next year's elections and work towards full indepencence takes place.... where does that leave the Navy?

The Goverment want the RN manpower down to 20,000, done at a stroke.

sulzer

Lantern Swinger
Why is there surprise at the SNP's desirefor independence? TScotland onle joined us to improve its economy and lsiev well on us for years. I started school in Paisley in 1940 and was treated very roughly by the natives and I have heard of other expats being treated in the same way. However we shall see.

SILVER_FOX said:
Maybe Scotland knows something about the future of this country that we're not seeing ... :roll:

SF

The future's submarine... glug.. glug... glug... :lol:

Of course if we get global cooling instead of warming Scotland faces a bleak future. If the SNP win we may of course need to invest more in the RN as Scotland may try to claim sovereignty over the Orkneys, which were of course sold by the Danish Crown to the English Crown and are therefore English Crown property, along with the oil. :roll:

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
Always_a_Civvy said:
Of course if we get global cooling instead of warming Scotland faces a bleak future.

Cooling or warming - there's no real difference. What would affect the UK, Scotland particularly, would be an upset to the Gulf Stream; currently the warm water from the Gulf of Mexico means that the climate is artificially warmer than it otherwise would be. Divert the Gulf Stream and the UK's weather will be more typical of the UK's latitudes. Snow tyres anyone?

FlagWagger said:
Always_a_Civvy said:
Of course if we get global cooling instead of warming Scotland faces a bleak future.

Cooling or warming - there's no real difference. What would affect the UK, Scotland particularly, would be an upset to the Gulf Stream; currently the warm water from the Gulf of Mexico means that the climate is artificially warmer than it otherwise would be. Divert the Gulf Stream and the UK's weather will be more typical of the UK's latitudes. Snow tyres anyone?

Sorry, that's what I meant.

simonjgriffithshr

Lantern Swinger
Ah, the old gulf stream effect! I remember a very good edition of Horizon on the potential effects of global warming on the gulf stream, and therefore the potential cooling effects on Britain. (I love Horizon, and hate Panorama - completely irrelevant, but I thought I'd throw it in...)

That was a number of years ago now (must have been when I was in year nine, or sometime around then). Only a few weeks later we started studying global warming in Chemistry and we had to write an essay on the potential effects of global warming on Britain - the Chemistry teacher was impressed that I'd gone for this unusual, more scientific view. Of course it did help that I had very recently watched that Horizon!

mikh

MIA
simonjgriffithshr said:
Back on topic. :oops:

SILVER_FOX said:
Maybe Scotland knows something about the future of this country that we're not seeing ... :roll:

SF

Will they take Blair, Brown and Kinnock back with them? (Please...)

Think Kinnock was a taff, but they woul probably pay us to keep Blair, Brown and the rest of the freeloading MP's from north of the border.

Just as a point of interest did you know there was more MP's per head of Population from Scotaland than any other part of the UK (with the lowest being England), and that there is a large number of Scottish born MP representing English constituecies, but I could'nt find a single Englishamn representing a Scotish seat!!!

F169

War Hero
Always a civvie please provide facts to support your argument about the Orkneys, even if you meant the Shetlands (with their later Danish rather than Norwegian connections) I think you are barking up the wrong tree.