SNP Press Release: UK Threat to Navy's Presence in Scotland

Discussion in 'Bases / Shore Est' started by soleil, Mar 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: SNP Press Release: UK Threat to Navy's Presence in Scotl

I'm not sure of the significance of this. Does it mean that Scotland, when compared with Norway, is a quasi-nuclear naval power while Wales and Northern Ireland aren't even conventional naval powers?

2. Re: SNP Press Release: UK Threat to Navy's Presence in Scotl

No it just means that soleil has found some more boring shit and want to show you that he know how to post links but never make any comment himself.

3. Re: SNP Press Release: UK Threat to Navy's Presence in Scotl

NMC I think you're facts are slightly wrong.

1. Soleil is a female
    2. Soleil doesn't just post boring shit on here, she does comment on alot on other posts, by clicking seeing all her posts on her profile I think you will find alot of her comments on other posts.
    3. Soleil is alot more helpful to the new forum users than others on here is quite a valuable user to the site.

I think you should apologise for your incorrect and unimformed drivel.

4. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Agree. Soleil posts links to Naval interest items, meaning those of us too busy to do so don't have to trawl the interenet looking for them. I appauled her efforts. Some generate good well informed debate some don't. If you don't like what is posted then jog on by until something of interest to you does appear.

Would you be so vocal to her face? Just because you are typing on a keyboard and over the internet doesn't mean normal politness and civilty need be cast aside.

And yes I would tell you this to your face.

5. Thank you Soleil, for us not so well read it is a help to see so many relevant headlines of interest in one place. I for one place high a value in your input and comments on here, I'm sure most other visitors to this forum do too.

6. Re: SNP Press Release: UK Threat to Navy's Presence in Scotl

There is nothing wrong with a link, but hows about posting some comment with it.

Well that says it all then.

7. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

Ditto.

8. Re: SNP Press Release: UK Threat to Navy's Presence in Scotl

Or that the SNP Government has (without us noticing) broken up the RN and laid claim to all Faslane-based assets?

9. Re: SNP Press Release: UK Threat to Navy's Presence in Scotl

I think the point is quite clear, during the tenure of the present Labour government there has been a substantial reduction in the RN presence north of the border. With more than half the UKs coastline perhaps a handfull of minsweepers is inadequate.

According to Gordon and his mates one of the benefits Scotland gets from the union is better defence than an independant Scotland could afford. Perhaps this is not quitye true.

10. Re: SNP Press Release: UK Threat to Navy's Presence in Scotl

Although if you look at the numbers, and the scheduled planned movement of assets from Plymouth in the coming years, the numbers actually won't be much different from 1997. The SNP just want to moan, particularly if it gives them a chance to mention the nuclear angle.

By far the most worrying thing for the RN planning wise should be the SNP threat to hold a referendum on the presence of nuclear weapons/nuclear submarines in Scotland. If it passed, it would be difficult for Westminster to do anything but make plans to move those assets down south. A way off maybe, but something to consider as they shift everything north of the border.

11. Re: SNP Press Release: UK Threat to Navy's Presence in Scotl

I must admit the arguement for the deterent force looks weaker every day, it certainly will not stop hotheads like Imadinnerjacket from firing if they every magaed to make one work. The real nuclear threat agaist us for the foreseeable future is the terroist dirty bomb and son of Trident will nto stop that. The problem still is that considering where the sea fronties lie the disposal of the national assets is skewed

12. Re: SNP Press Release: UK Threat to Navy's Presence in Scotl

Try reading the thread title you chopper.