Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snouts still in the trough

finknottle

Banned
Former prime minister Lady Thatcher has claimed more than half a million pounds of taxpayers' cash in the last five years, the Government has revealed.
The 86-year-old Baroness, who is rarely seen in public and suffers ongoing health problems, benefited from the public duties cost allowance available to ex-PMs.
Since 2006, she has claimed a total of £535,000 in state handouts.
The system was set up by John Major in 1991 to reward former incumbents of No 10 for work including answering letters and attending public events.
It has cost taxpayers more than £1.7 million in the past five years supporting Baroness Thatcher, her successor Sir John and, since 2007, former Labour premier Tony Blair.
Mr Blair, PM for a decade from 1997, has claimed just under £273,000 since leaving office in June 2007, including £169,076 in 2008-9 - more than his annual salary when he was in Downing Street.
Sir John, who ran the country from 1990 to 1997, has netted a total of £490,000 over the last five years.
Cabinet Office Minister Francis Maude, who revealed the figures following a written Parliamentary question from Tory MP Philip Hollobone, said: "The public duties cost allowance is kept under review."

Source Yahoo News.

trelawney126

War Hero
Former prime minister Lady Thatcher has claimed more than half a million pounds of taxpayers' cash in the last five years, the Government has revealed.
The 86-year-old Baroness, who is rarely seen in public and suffers ongoing health problems, benefited from the public duties cost allowance available to ex-PMs.
The system was set up by John Major in 1991 to reward former incumbents of No 10 for work including answering letters and attending public events.
It has cost taxpayers more than £1.7 million in the past five years supporting Baroness Thatcher, her successor Sir John and, since 2007, former Labour premier Tony Blair.
Mr Blair, PM for a decade from 1997, has claimed just under £273,000 since leaving office in June 2007, including £169,076 in 2008-9 - more than his annual salary when he was in Downing Street.
Sir John, who ran the country from 1990 to 1997, has netted a total of £490,000 over the last five years.
Cabinet Office Minister Francis Maude, who revealed the figures following a written Parliamentary question from Tory MP Philip Hollobone, said: "The public duties cost allowance is kept under review."

Source Yahoo News.
Thats an incredible amount of postage stamps, Finks

Grubber

Lantern Swinger
The fact that former PM's are basically salaried for life is (I thought) common knowledge. In reality, it's a drop in the ocean and a reward for the ultimate public service that I personally don't disagree with. It's not like you'll be content to work at Tesco's after running the whole country.

Ballistic

War Hero

Source Yahoo News.

SSSHHHH!!! Don't tell Guzzler! He worships the ground she walks on. :angel9:

G

guestm

Poverty for the feckless, yes she did MPL.

Some would say she fucked everyone North of the Watford gap. Some would also say she lucked in with the Falklands by using the Argentinian's timely invasion as a popularity launchpad and a sideshow to the country she was systematically destroying.

I haven't got a problem with ex PM's etc having an allowance but it should be capped.

They should have a limit set of say 85k in todays money per year. That amount should be index linked and they should be means tested to see if they need it.

Blair would be more current than Thatcher so would perhaps be involved in more current issues so would spend more time doing ex PM stuff, however, he's made more money out of being a PM so perhaps doesn't need the money.

Major may well send lots of letters looking for a friend. (Also he won the bet to shag Currie so deserves something for manning up to that task)

Seadog

War Hero
I haven't got a problem with ex PM's etc having an allowance but it should be capped.

It is

Ex PMs Allowances to FY08/09

Unless there has been a massive increase in the limit since it looks as if President Blair has some giving back to do.

All manner of retired Civil Servants, Judges, Senior Plod and Service Officers are dusted off for public duties while remaining retired. It was ever thus and posters with their eye on the news and personalities will be albe to rattle off a few examples. As far as I can tell, the Crown pays for their bus fares, haircuts and lunch and continues to pay their pension.

Which is all fair enough. Hell, back in the day all reservists on the "sod you, you owe us because you left early" list used to get paid for turning up once a year.

finknottle

Banned
And your point is what exactly?

My point exactly is that they should be happy with the gold plated pension without any additional payments from the taxpayer, it is just another example how the truffle hunters at Westminster feather their own nests at our expense.

Grubber

Lantern Swinger
I still think this is a drop in the ocean compared to the rest of the costs of funding this gargantuan multi-faceted leviathan we call a democracy.

How much extra have we spent in recent years on MEPs, devolved governments, quangos, think tanks, special committees, etc?

Compared to all of those we still get value for money from ex-PMs who still have something to offer the country in formal and informal ways.

Rocket_Ron

Lantern Swinger
They should have a limit set of say 85k in todays money per year. That amount should be index linked and they should be means tested to see if they need it.

Why on earth should it be index linked when they only managed a 10p increase for the pensioners a couple of years ago ?

G

guestm

Just how did she bring pride to the Nation?

I'm going to have to make myself scarce. there's every danger that I might imminently agree with one of Finknottle's posts and that would wreck the site's equilibrium.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Sellafield Ltd: Still leading the conversation on the international stage MoD News 0
Sumo IRA still being track by secret squirrels Current Affairs 2
soleil Somerset Live: Royal Navy 'Legend' Still Flying After 50 Years And 9,200 Hours In The Air The Fleet Air Arm 2
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has appointed Kate Still as the Scotland Chair of the National Lottery Community Fund. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS An inclusive political solution in Libya is still greatly needed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Progress is still needed if a political settlement is to be reached in Syria MoD News 0
M Holiday booked will I still be able to go if I start my navy application? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
P Still be able to join? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
J Can i still join the navy with this conviction? Joining the Royal Navy 6
C Still serving? The Quarterdeck 7
O sprog to the Forum - Doe we still get our pensions at 55 ? Finance & Pensions 7
MoD_RSS Press release: Record number of schoolgirls make digital waves but women still under-represented in the cyber security sector MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Report 02/2019: Self-detrainment of passengers onto lines that were still open to traffic and electrically live at Lewisham MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Alok Sharma: 'There is still an urgency for us to act' on women’s economic independence MoD News 0
A Still waiting for start date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
yicker This thing is still a thing then? Diamond Lil's 19
onions Wasp still flying? The Fleet Air Arm 2
D Is HMS Bristol still in commission? The Fleet 4
Stirlin Jeff Beck : Still on the run. Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 1
TheMau5e Failed FATs... Can i still take AIB? The Fleet Air Arm 17
T Is it still possible to do a WE PWO hybrid? The Fleet 5
P 'Top Gun' Royal Navy pilot who took on Taliban while fyling upside down still waiting to bring Ameri The Fleet Air Arm 24
Jack-The-Lad HMS GANGES - Still serving Bases / Shore Est 15
Joint_Force_Harrier Still Bitter & Twisted Diamond Lil's 29
effitilljointhenavy Aircrewman - FAT's still required? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
N Failed my RT but still got enough points for WE CIS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Guns RAF WWII bombs - the gifts that still give. Current Affairs 4
A RN Still short of Engineers? Ahem! The Quarterdeck 45
B still possible? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
D Can skimmers still drink at sea? The Fleet 82
soleil Telegraph: "The Royal Navy Can Still Be Fighting Fit Despite BAE Job Losses" Current Affairs 28
SONAR-BENDER Is KP still in business......... Diamond Lil's 4
H Is there somewhere I can still watch Officers and Gentlemen? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
soleil Telegraph: "Lethal Relics From WW1 Are Still Emerging" History 7
soleil Shepard: "IMDEX 2013: Royal Navy Argues It Is Still Relevant" The Fleet 1
D If an application for officer has failed, can you still pursue a career as a rating? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
MoD_RSS Speech: Burma making significant strides towards reform but challenges still remain MoD News 0
O Father passed away - will Mum still get pension? Finance & Pensions 19
trelawney126 Why is Bliar still expounding his Views Diamond Lil's 2
Horatio Nelson If The Royal Navy Didn't Pay, Would You Still Join? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 44
scouse FAA faces a 4year gap in AEW and still not fixed wing The Fleet Air Arm 24
finknottle The Tories are still at it. Current Affairs 15
soleil BBC News Magazine: "Does Anybody Still Need Aircraft Carriers?" The Fleet 3
soleil BBC News Magazine: "Could Britain Still Defend The Falklands?" Current Affairs 0
D Is anyone going in as a submariner chef and still waitin for a start date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
stan_the_man How long is it after you leave the service can they still charge you?? Diamond Lil's 12
soleil Navy News: "Commandos Keeping Insurgents In Check – But Still 'Hard Work To Be Done'" The Corps 0
soleil Guardian: "Bohemian Rhapsody Still Top Of The Charts With The British Armed Forces" Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 2
pussercdo An old Bobitt joke - still funny Miscellaneous 0
M Still recruiting Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15