Snouts still in the trough

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by finknottle, Oct 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Former prime minister Lady Thatcher has claimed more than half a million pounds of taxpayers' cash in the last five years, the Government has revealed.
    The 86-year-old Baroness, who is rarely seen in public and suffers ongoing health problems, benefited from the public duties cost allowance available to ex-PMs.
    Since 2006, she has claimed a total of £535,000 in state handouts.
    The system was set up by John Major in 1991 to reward former incumbents of No 10 for work including answering letters and attending public events.
    It has cost taxpayers more than £1.7 million in the past five years supporting Baroness Thatcher, her successor Sir John and, since 2007, former Labour premier Tony Blair.
    Mr Blair, PM for a decade from 1997, has claimed just under £273,000 since leaving office in June 2007, including £169,076 in 2008-9 - more than his annual salary when he was in Downing Street.
    Sir John, who ran the country from 1990 to 1997, has netted a total of £490,000 over the last five years.
    Cabinet Office Minister Francis Maude, who revealed the figures following a written Parliamentary question from Tory MP Philip Hollobone, said: "The public duties cost allowance is kept under review."

Source Yahoo News.

2. Thats an incredible amount of postage stamps, Finks

3. The fact that former PM's are basically salaried for life is (I thought) common knowledge. In reality, it's a drop in the ocean and a reward for the ultimate public service that I personally don't disagree with. It's not like you'll be content to work at Tesco's after running the whole country.

4. SSSHHHH!!! Don't tell Guzzler! He worships the ground she walks on. :angel9:

5. But hopefully she won't be dwelling there for much longer......... :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  6. brought pride to a Nation almost destroyed by a Communist riddled Labour Party, deserves every ******* i n g penny.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Pride? Or poverty?

8. Poverty for the feckless, yes she did MPL.

9. Some would say she fucked everyone North of the Watford gap. Some would also say she lucked in with the Falklands by using the Argentinian's timely invasion as a popularity launchpad and a sideshow to the country she was systematically destroying.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

11. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I haven't got a problem with ex PM's etc having an allowance but it should be capped.

They should have a limit set of say 85k in todays money per year. That amount should be index linked and they should be means tested to see if they need it.

Blair would be more current than Thatcher so would perhaps be involved in more current issues so would spend more time doing ex PM stuff, however, he's made more money out of being a PM so perhaps doesn't need the money.

Major may well send lots of letters looking for a friend. (Also he won the bet to shag Currie so deserves something for manning up to that task)

12. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

It is

Ex PMs Allowances to FY08/09

Unless there has been a massive increase in the limit since it looks as if President Blair has some giving back to do.

All manner of retired Civil Servants, Judges, Senior Plod and Service Officers are dusted off for public duties while remaining retired. It was ever thus and posters with their eye on the news and personalities will be albe to rattle off a few examples. As far as I can tell, the Crown pays for their bus fares, haircuts and lunch and continues to pay their pension.

13. wet_blobby

Which is all fair enough. Hell, back in the day all reservists on the "sod you, you owe us because you left early" list used to get paid for turning up once a year.

14. My point exactly is that they should be happy with the gold plated pension without any additional payments from the taxpayer, it is just another example how the truffle hunters at Westminster feather their own nests at our expense.

15. Just how did she bring pride to the Nation?

16. wet_blobby

She had me on the payroll. Need anymore?

• Like Like x 1
  17. I still think this is a drop in the ocean compared to the rest of the costs of funding this gargantuan multi-faceted leviathan we call a democracy.

How much extra have we spent in recent years on MEPs, devolved governments, quangos, think tanks, special committees, etc?

Compared to all of those we still get value for money from ex-PMs who still have something to offer the country in formal and informal ways.

18. Why on earth should it be index linked when they only managed a 10p increase for the pensioners a couple of years ago ?

19. I'm going to have to make myself scarce. there's every danger that I might imminently agree with one of Finknottle's posts and that would wreck the site's equilibrium.