SNLR

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by yummy84, Jan 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

can anyone give me some advice on snlr, whether or not i would be able to re-join the navy? i was discharged on snlr in 05. i was very young and had a lot going on at home with family, turned to drink and got in trouble a few times i.e being late- swearing.Was never court marshelled, basically last time i went t o the table i did not give defence so the captain said goodbye. I would very much like to re join the rn but would like to find out if this is possible after past mistakes.

2. I'm sure NJ or SM will be along later but could you use some punctuation as your post is hard to read. I ran out of breath and fell off my chair by the end of it. It might be an idea if you put the thread title as SNLR (capitals) as it's easier to read, comprendez

3. lol, sorry.

4. Hope that is better for you!!!

5. You have to admit it stands out more and is cleare to read, not being a pedant, just trying to help.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

There is certainly nothing stopping a person discharged from the Navy SNLR from re-applying, however what a lot of people fail to grasp is that those discharged SNLR or DUDT have effectively been sacked.

Few people sacked from a civilian job would bother asking for their job back however the Navy will certainly consider an application from any eligible candidate who was considered suitable to re-apply at a later date at the time of discharge.

In these days of heavily oversubscribed vacancies within the serices, a person formerly dismissed with a poor disciplinary record will need to provide strong evidence of developed reliability since discharge.

In any event, the advice is most definitely don't resign if currently in civilian employmrnt just yet.

Best of luck.

7. Ninja - I cannot disagree with what you say and I admire the polite & diplomatic tone with which, in your position, you are duly obliged to have to say it.

But Yummy84 must face the stark reality:

Pusser invests a lot of time recruiting, selecting & training and will invariably apply a considerable amount of Divisional and Admin. effort into retaining even the most wayward, contrary, rebellious or recidivist scrote.

Investigations, interviews, cautions, warnings, checks, welfare reports, etc indeed, the whole (carefully scrutinised) admin bundle, generally means that the RN rarely gets it wrong when it has to bin someone ‘SNLR’ – This for the good of the Service and for the individual, too.

With keen/clean/bright & qualified wannabees queuing up and prepared to wait for yonks for their career in a diminishing RN I would suggest that the Yummy84 has had his/her chance but blew it. Tough.

Full Stop.

(Yummy may prove me wrong – I was, once…….)

8. Thanks for both reply's, I am off to the carers office today with discharge papers and will be sure to let you know the out come. Im expecting a no but i feel it is worth a try. Since leaving i have set up my own business and had a child so certainly have grown up since then. And am ready to prove it shame i was not back then. We live and learn x x

9. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

If you have a home , your own business and a child, what do you want to rejoin for? Aren't your family worth staying home with. You sound a bit selfish to me. Only interested in what you want.

10. Im sorry no i do not think it is selfish!! Do you not think it is selfish for dad's to go away in that case?? The fact that i am a mum should make no difference yet i see there are still small minded individual's around!!

11. Ninja_Stoker

Regardless of the gender of the applicant, childcare is the responsibility of the parents, not the Service.

As most are fully aware, all Naval Service personnel will serve at sea regardless of gender, marital status or the geographic location & occupation of the parents.

12. Which i am fully aware of and when serving away he will be looked after by his father

13. Ninja_Stoker

My comments above are directed to those that may incorrectly assume one parent doesn't serve at sea, if both are in the Service, rather than the majority of parents, who are indeed already aware as alluded.

14. No both parents are not in the service, I would not be so selfish to assume i get special treatment for having a child, so if my partner was in the service i would not join.

15. Ninja_Stoker

Drawing away from individual circumstances for a moment, the thread will be read by others also, so the comments are intended for generic guidance & apply to males & females who maybe parents, possibly considering joining the service - not to mention others (such as granny, above) who may well have their own views on the matter & maybe interested to learn of the service stance on childcare. :wink:

16. Well surely anyone considering joining will realise that if both parents are serving childcare is down to them, as it is on civvy street! and would become an issue at some stage during service!! :roll:

17. Really looking forward to seeing more of you on this site yummy.

19. Ninja_Stoker

Aguably someone discharged SNLR would surely realise they were sacked... :lol:

20. Ha ha how did i know you would be back lol.

And yes i do realise i was sacked, I also realise i was young, and going through a lot at the time. But most importantly i realise that i messed up in a big way and if i can change that and go back to a job, lifestyle and security that i want then i will. You do not get anywhere in life sat around waiting those who fight for what they want get everywhere. And every one deserves a second chance. The way i see it i can prove i have grown up and turned my life around i have waited five years before attempting to re-join. Maybe they will say no and i will deal with that but if there is a chance i can go back in and serve my 22 then i will. :wink: