SMQ - Choice?

Hi all. Recently applied too join as a Submariner as a Writer, passed my psychometric test and my AFCO have sent my medical forms off.

Had a good read through here after only noticing this part of the forum today. Read that there are two places I could end up for my SMQ, Devenport and Faslane. If I've got that right and it is the case, my question is can you choose (or select a preference) as too which you train at?

Apologies if this question has been answered anywhere else. Just read so much, so many abbreviations that I don't understand too and google can only answer half of them!

Any help would be much appreciated. Also like to say the information provided so far has been a real help so thanks for that.

Vanguard and Astute class boats are at Faslane, so if you get either class, that's where your SMQ will be, Trafalgar class boats (what's left of them) are in Devonport so that's where the SMQ is if you get them.

You can ask to go any of the classes but at the end of the day, it's bums on seats and up to drafty. When the last T boat pays off you'll end up in Faslane anyway (as it stands at the moment).

Vanguard and Astute class boats are at Faslane, so if you get either class, that's where your SMQ will be, Trafalgar class boats (what's left of them) are in Devonport so that's where the SMQ is if you get them.

You can ask to go any of the classes but at the end of the day, it's bums on seats and up to drafty. When the last T boat pays off you'll end up in Faslane anyway (as it stands at the moment).
Thanks Wrecker. Much appreciated.

etsandy

Midshipman
Just FYI, the T boat SMQ is moving up to Faslane in the near future (probably before you get out of Raleigh), Faslane as 'The home of the Submarine Service' will adopt all Submarine Basic Training packages.

Just FYI, the T boat SMQ is moving up to Faslane in the near future (probably before you get out of Raleigh), Faslane as 'The home of the Submarine Service' will adopt all Submarine Basic Training packages.
Hence why my brother said 'You know you'll be based in Faslane' and expanded no further apart to hurl expletives at me for joining!

Thanks for some expanded information, much appreciated!

What’s your definition of ‘the near future’? SMQ(S) will cease to operate when there is no longer a requirement to train T boat systems.
Which there remains.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
LateToTheParty Submariners 18
SONAR-BENDER Submariners 41
P Submariners 25