SMQ - Choice?

Hi all. Recently applied too join as a Submariner as a Writer, passed my psychometric test and my AFCO have sent my medical forms off.

Had a good read through here after only noticing this part of the forum today. Read that there are two places I could end up for my SMQ, Devenport and Faslane. If I've got that right and it is the case, my question is can you choose (or select a preference) as too which you train at?

Apologies if this question has been answered anywhere else. Just read so much, so many abbreviations that I don't understand too and google can only answer half of them!

Any help would be much appreciated. Also like to say the information provided so far has been a real help so thanks for that.

Vanguard and Astute class boats are at Faslane, so if you get either class, that's where your SMQ will be, Trafalgar class boats (what's left of them) are in Devonport so that's where the SMQ is if you get them.

You can ask to go any of the classes but at the end of the day, it's bums on seats and up to drafty. When the last T boat pays off you'll end up in Faslane anyway (as it stands at the moment).

Vanguard and Astute class boats are at Faslane, so if you get either class, that's where your SMQ will be, Trafalgar class boats (what's left of them) are in Devonport so that's where the SMQ is if you get them.

You can ask to go any of the classes but at the end of the day, it's bums on seats and up to drafty. When the last T boat pays off you'll end up in Faslane anyway (as it stands at the moment).
Thanks Wrecker. Much appreciated.

etsandy

Midshipman
Just FYI, the T boat SMQ is moving up to Faslane in the near future (probably before you get out of Raleigh), Faslane as 'The home of the Submarine Service' will adopt all Submarine Basic Training packages.

Just FYI, the T boat SMQ is moving up to Faslane in the near future (probably before you get out of Raleigh), Faslane as 'The home of the Submarine Service' will adopt all Submarine Basic Training packages.
Hence why my brother said 'You know you'll be based in Faslane' and expanded no further apart to hurl expletives at me for joining!

Thanks for some expanded information, much appreciated!

What’s your definition of ‘the near future’? SMQ(S) will cease to operate when there is no longer a requirement to train T boat systems.
Which there remains.

You get to put your preference in during phase 2, the drafty will tell your DO that they need X amount of T/A/V boat ratings. You’ll probably find you’re the only writer in your ph2 class going SM so are likely to get your preference.

Of course if you’re female you’ll end up north regardless as T boats aren’t equipped for wrens.

Tbh I went north for SMQ but then qualified on a Tboat and I think north was the better choice.

I read all Submarines would be working out of Faslane by 2020.
Not everything you read is true:

https://www.savetheroyalnavy.org/positive-signs-for-royal-navy-submarine-manpower/

"Making Faslane home
The decision to consolidate all submarine basing and training on the Clyde was not universally popular but there are signs that this has been accepted. 84% of submariners are now based in Scotland and it is becoming less of a cause for complaint. From 2020 all RN submarines will be based in Faslane, "

Not everything you read is true:

https://www.savetheroyalnavy.org/positive-signs-for-royal-navy-submarine-manpower/

"Making Faslane home
The decision to consolidate all submarine basing and training on the Clyde was not universally popular but there are signs that this has been accepted. 84% of submariners are now based in Scotland and it is becoming less of a cause for complaint. From 2020 all RN submarines will be based in Faslane, "
Also seen here: https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/uk-purchases-dreadnought-submarine-training-upgrades-for-faslane/

HM Treasury last year approved the Initial Gate Business Case for the new submarine school to be built at Scotland’s largest military establishment, Faslane. The new school will provide academic and technical training for all Royal Naval personnel entering the submarine service from 2022.

All 11 Royal Navy submarines will be based at HMNB Clyde from 2020, seeing the number of people employed at the base will rise from 6,800 people to 8,200. The school will support the Astute hunter killer submarines, as well as the delivery of training for the new Dreadnought nuclear deterrent boats, which provide the United Kingdom with its continuous nuclear deterrent.

Head of the Submarine Service, Rear Admiral John Weale said:
“Our new single integrated operating base will make significant improvements to the work-life balance of our 5,000 submariners.

By putting our boats and training in one place, our submariners can put down roots in Scotland knowing that they are no longer required to commute from one end of the country to another.”

The re-location of submarine training from HMS Sultan and HMS Raleigh is consistent with the Better Defence Estate Strategy, published in November, which set out the department’s plans sets out plans to achieve a more efficient, modern and capability focused defence estate and bring greater harmony to Service families, according to the Ministry of Defence.
It sounds exciting to me.

My accountant as just joined up for Boats. Great lad, saved me more than he cost, I think. Hope he enjoys Fazzers, big change from Whiteley.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
youngmarino Submariners 2
LateToTheParty Submariners 18
SONAR-BENDER Submariners 41