Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smoking in the RFA

vXelaa

i’ve applied to join the RFA, but i was wondering how one would go about having a cigarette while at sea? obviously i plan to quit, but until then; where can i smoke?

JohnMaco

You won't have to wait until you're on the ship. Smoking ban on all MOD bases comes into effect this year. This means during your Phase 1 training (rating) or militarisation phase (officer cadet) you will not be allowed to smoke on site.

We had one guy on my course who smokes and he was not appreciated for his habit of ducking out for 5 or 10 minutes at numerous points during the day. Especially when the timetable is changing rapidly and everyone is waiting on him to get himself together.

Please take my advice. Stop smoking before you get here. This is not the sort of environment that you wanna be trying to stop smoking in.

Good luck with your application.

Knotty

Lantern Swinger
You won't have to wait until you're on the ship. Smoking ban on all MOD bases comes into effect this year. This means during your Phase 1 training (rating) or militarisation phase (officer cadet) you will not be allowed to smoke on site.

We had one guy on my course who smokes and he was not appreciated for his habit of ducking out for 5 or 10 minutes at numerous points during the day. Especially when the timetable is changing rapidly and everyone is waiting on him to get himself together.

Please take my advice. Stop smoking before you get here. This is not the sort of environment that you wanna be trying to stop smoking in.

Gave up nearly five years ago but not got a problem with anyone smoking something that is perfectly legal to purchase and use above the age of 16 or 18 or whatever it is now.

Whatever happened to the pipe 'one all round'? Sorry for the pun!

Jago

Midshipman

Can you give one source for this? I don't know what planet you're on mate, but as far as I'm aware this is a load of nonsense.

I understand it's a bad habit but I'm pretty sure that if the MOD (and by extension, the RFA) banned smoking outright, they would lose a significant amount of personnel. All RFA ships have outdoor smoking areas- aside from the Tide boats, which have smoking rooms (read as: hotboxing).

All courses you go on with the MOD cater for smoking but won't go out of their way to give you fag breaks.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Can you give one source for this? I don't know what planet you're on mate, but as far as I'm aware this is a load of nonsense.

I understand it's a bad habit but I'm pretty sure that if the MOD (and by extension, the RFA) banned smoking outright, they would lose a significant amount of personnel. All RFA ships have outdoor smoking areas- aside from the Tide boats, which have smoking rooms (read as: hotboxing).

All courses you go on with the MOD cater for smoking but won't go out of their way to give you fag breaks.
MoD site smoking ban was meant to start on the 31st of March, as far as I'm aware it will be later in the year and be in force from 0700 to 1900 daily.

JohnMaco

No worries Jago

Wish I had a source for you, but all I can say is that we were told by Captain Readwin and the other DO's that it was coming into force soon.

A few of the international students (they attend for 3 years) have already started switching to nicotine pouches (the ones you put in your mouth). So I'd say its definitely coming into force soon.

Seems like they're going along the same lines as the Armys Harrogate Training Collage. Link to article is below.

It’s already come into force at Harrogate for the Army: https://www.forces.net/news/army/unacceptable-smoking-ban-recruits-army-foundation-college-harrogate

And from the Army Sport Control Boards website regarding HMS Temeraire:
Please find below a notice from the Head of Navy Sport R A J Bird Cdr RN regarding “Tobacco Free Temeraire”
“The Smoking and Tobacco Control Strategy for Defence 2017 – 2022 outlines the ambition for Defence to ‘reduce smoking prevalence across the Whole Force to national prevalence levels by 2022 alongside a phased introduction of smoke-free working environments’. In line with the proposed policy, and as the headquarters for Naval Health and Wellbeing, I have been directed by ACNS(Pers) to make HMS TEMERAIRE a ‘tobacco free’ working environment”
https://armysportcontrolboard.com/tobacco-free-temeraire/

When I was serving in Queen Elizabeth, smokers were only allowed to smoke during Standeasy (or Smoke-o in RFA parlance). When alongside we had to go on to the jetty to a designated area. At sea there was a designated area also on the upper deck, but smoking was banned during flying stations. When in RFA Argus, the smokers area was on the stbd side, right next to the Junior Rates galley’s extractor fans outflow (the place stank in the morning, especially if kippers were for breakfast! ).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS New plans to ensure pubs, restaurants and cafes offer both smoking and non-smoking outdoor options MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Designing a smoking cessation intervention MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fastest drop in smoking rates in over a decade as Stoptober launches MoD News 0
pompeyexpat Banning smoking in Phase 1 Joining the Royal Navy 27
MoD_RSS Press release: PHE calls on all NHS Trusts to ban smoking on hospital grounds MoD News 0
Knotty Help with having stopped smoking Nearest & Dearest 6
P What are they smoking down at Bath ? Current Affairs 7
J Smoking Health & Fitness 3
trelawney126 Smoking and Driving Health & Fitness 5
soleil MoD News: "It's Military No Smoking Day" Health & Fitness 8
BillyNoMates The smoking shelter Diamond Lil's 3
B Smoking in the navy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 35
Clown_Puncher Smoking: Big, hard AND clever Diamond Lil's 23
trelawney126 Proof Smoking Stunts Growth! The Gash Barge 1
sgtpepperband Happy "No Smoking" Day! The Quarterdeck 7
jesse Smoking ? The Quarterdeck 5
_Tim_ Smoking ban taken a step further Current Affairs 40
golden_rivet how to make smoking look REALLY un-cool ... The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 2
bikerman smoking ban outside WTF Current Affairs 35
B German boss fires staff for not smoking Current Affairs 18
F Smoking fags/pipes... for it or against? Light up the post! Diamond Lil's 26
NotmeChief (New Smoking Law) What utter Bollocks! Current Affairs 76
Topstop Smoking, pictures on packets. Diamond Lil's 4
Permissionopenmuzzledoor SMOKING ON SUBMARINES. Submariners 30
A 1st of July, Smoking Ban Diamond Lil's 64
dumdum Brit's smoking in public places Diamond Lil's 2
slim Why did you start smoking? Diamond Lil's 45
The_Caretaker Smoking Gun Diamond Lil's 0
A Minimum age for tobacco smoking to rise to 18 Current Affairs 29
M Smoking The Fleet Air Arm 17
higthepig Smoking in cars. Diamond Lil's 20
R Smoking on Submarines Submariners 26
Random An introduction to the joys of naval logistics aka why the RFA exists RFA 0
N What next? RFA cadet application RFA 1
N RFA Seaman Apprenticeship interview- competency Q's RFA 0
T Considering applying to RFA RFA 5
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Good News - For RFA, Brit Shipbuiders, RN Support & Brit Taxpayer RFA 0
M Qualified Deck Officer, Thinking of moving from Cruise Ships to RFA RFA 3
C RFA Seamanship Apprenticeship - Application to AB. RFA 15
O RFA System Engineer (qualified) interview RFA 7
J Couple Of Questions About Life in RFA RFA 2
soleil RN: "Cardigan Bay Chef Nears 50 Years' Service In The RFA" RFA 2
J RFA Limitations With Colour Blindness RFA 7
S RFA Training Pipeline RFA 11
Multiirishman Joining the Rfa RFA 22
7 Joining the RFA as a chef apprentice RFA 8
T preparation for RFA engineering apprenticeship RFA 27
S RFA engineering interview RFA 4
D Looking for Challenge/Spoof Coins From RFA Ships RFA 2