Smoking in the RFA

vXelaa

i’ve applied to join the RFA, but i was wondering how one would go about having a cigarette while at sea? obviously i plan to quit, but until then; where can i smoke?

JohnMaco

You won't have to wait until you're on the ship. Smoking ban on all MOD bases comes into effect this year. This means during your Phase 1 training (rating) or militarisation phase (officer cadet) you will not be allowed to smoke on site.

We had one guy on my course who smokes and he was not appreciated for his habit of ducking out for 5 or 10 minutes at numerous points during the day. Especially when the timetable is changing rapidly and everyone is waiting on him to get himself together.

Please take my advice. Stop smoking before you get here. This is not the sort of environment that you wanna be trying to stop smoking in.

Good luck with your application.

Knotty

Lantern Swinger
You won't have to wait until you're on the ship. Smoking ban on all MOD bases comes into effect this year. This means during your Phase 1 training (rating) or militarisation phase (officer cadet) you will not be allowed to smoke on site.

We had one guy on my course who smokes and he was not appreciated for his habit of ducking out for 5 or 10 minutes at numerous points during the day. Especially when the timetable is changing rapidly and everyone is waiting on him to get himself together.

Please take my advice. Stop smoking before you get here. This is not the sort of environment that you wanna be trying to stop smoking in.

Gave up nearly five years ago but not got a problem with anyone smoking something that is perfectly legal to purchase and use above the age of 16 or 18 or whatever it is now.

Whatever happened to the pipe 'one all round'? Sorry for the pun!

Jago

Midshipman

Can you give one source for this? I don't know what planet you're on mate, but as far as I'm aware this is a load of nonsense.

I understand it's a bad habit but I'm pretty sure that if the MOD (and by extension, the RFA) banned smoking outright, they would lose a significant amount of personnel. All RFA ships have outdoor smoking areas- aside from the Tide boats, which have smoking rooms (read as: hotboxing).

All courses you go on with the MOD cater for smoking but won't go out of their way to give you fag breaks.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Can you give one source for this? I don't know what planet you're on mate, but as far as I'm aware this is a load of nonsense.

I understand it's a bad habit but I'm pretty sure that if the MOD (and by extension, the RFA) banned smoking outright, they would lose a significant amount of personnel. All RFA ships have outdoor smoking areas- aside from the Tide boats, which have smoking rooms (read as: hotboxing).

All courses you go on with the MOD cater for smoking but won't go out of their way to give you fag breaks.
MoD site smoking ban was meant to start on the 31st of March, as far as I'm aware it will be later in the year and be in force from 0700 to 1900 daily.

JohnMaco

No worries Jago

Wish I had a source for you, but all I can say is that we were told by Captain Readwin and the other DO's that it was coming into force soon.

A few of the international students (they attend for 3 years) have already started switching to nicotine pouches (the ones you put in your mouth). So I'd say its definitely coming into force soon.

Seems like they're going along the same lines as the Armys Harrogate Training Collage. Link to article is below.

It’s already come into force at Harrogate for the Army: https://www.forces.net/news/army/unacceptable-smoking-ban-recruits-army-foundation-college-harrogate

And from the Army Sport Control Boards website regarding HMS Temeraire:
Please find below a notice from the Head of Navy Sport R A J Bird Cdr RN regarding “Tobacco Free Temeraire”
“The Smoking and Tobacco Control Strategy for Defence 2017 – 2022 outlines the ambition for Defence to ‘reduce smoking prevalence across the Whole Force to national prevalence levels by 2022 alongside a phased introduction of smoke-free working environments’. In line with the proposed policy, and as the headquarters for Naval Health and Wellbeing, I have been directed by ACNS(Pers) to make HMS TEMERAIRE a ‘tobacco free’ working environment”
https://armysportcontrolboard.com/tobacco-free-temeraire/

When I was serving in Queen Elizabeth, smokers were only allowed to smoke during Standeasy (or Smoke-o in RFA parlance). When alongside we had to go on to the jetty to a designated area. At sea there was a designated area also on the upper deck, but smoking was banned during flying stations. When in RFA Argus, the smokers area was on the stbd side, right next to the Junior Rates galley’s extractor fans outflow (the place stank in the morning, especially if kippers were for breakfast! ).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk