Smoking in the navy?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by bryan, Feb 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys, This may be a really stupid question but how many people smoke in the navy, im struggling with the running too a little, how much will I improve iof i quit???
    any replies would be appriciated, thanks

2. Does it have to be exact or will an approximate figure do?

3. How do we know? Stop and find out, it's bad for you anyway.

4. Last time I counted it was 21,347 cigarette smokers, 2,402 cigar smokers and 2 pipe smokers.

Hope this helps.

5. Listening to you is bad for most people.
    Should they stop doing that?

6. i have to say i was a tabber but the new years resolution is still going strong, so only stopped for one month but i can all ready feel the difference. in my class at raleigh there was about 10 who smoked so whether that is average or not i couldn't tell you.

7. Thanks for all your replies people :)

8. I quit a while back and only 2 days later I could breathe properly when running. Your heart and lungs are your most valuable weapons, look after'em, you only get one set.

9. I gave up years ago and still can't run for shit!!! Anyway running is for cowards

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The trained regular strength of the Royal Naval Service was 34950 at 1 October 2009, however the Defence Analytical Services & Advice organisation do not appear to record figure for smokers.

Thirty years ago the vast majority (80%+) of us smoked in relation to about 55% of the UK population, however I'd guess the figure has plummeted, reflecting civilian society which is around 22% - even though we still get duty free concessions.

As a reformed heavy smoker myself, who still yearns a tab four years on, it would be easy to jump on the moral bandwagon & condemn it out of hand, however many of us passed training as smokers in the days before it transferred into a socially abhorrent practice, second only to mugging pensioners.

Obviously giving-up smoking before joining will make basic training less stressful both physically & mentally, but ultimately it's your choice even though we would strongly suggest you give up now, before the temptation of Duty Free makes it seem less logical to stop.

11. Do you happen to have the approx number for chewing tabacco?

12. There's only one and he was in Star Wars

13. on this subject i have a question that is silly but trivial the smoking at work policy says that you have to be outside and so many ft away from your work station but how do submariners manage this ? surely them having to leave the boat could itself prove a little dangerous being underwater and how would they light a cigarette underwater? but seriously do submariners have a smoking area within the boat?

14. Used to have 2 smoking areas on T boats (Fwd AMS and Aft escape) but no longer. You can have a tab in the fin when you're on the roof but when dived...forget it. So if your on a 3 monther that's you fcuked.

15. Plus Nobby Clark at VL, makes two!!

16. [​IMG]

I’ve never seen that claimed on a packet of Durex.

17. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

No numbers for the people smokers?

18. Does Linda Lovelace count? she smoked lots of people

19. I did a stint with DRSO in '01 and there was a proper AB 'Beetle' Minewarfare who used to smoke a full on pipe.

He also used to wear his Steaming Bats with his civvies....

20. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Could he be posting using the name pinkprincess?