Smoking fags/pipes... for it or against? Light up the post!

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by fly_past, Nov 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

?
  1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Giving up at present

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Do you smoke?
    Do you enjoy it /hate it?
    Wish you could find a place to smoke in peace away from all 'do gooders'?
    Go on have a rant about wether it should be allowed or not.......

Smokers/ smoking/ giving up .... here is your chance to get it off your chest (so's to speak)......

Personally I have never smoked... and disliked going out coming back smelling like a cigarette ash tray!

2. Obviously you've never had sex then? You always smoke after sex..(think it must be the friction, but personally, I've never looked!!) :w00t:

3. Smoke after sex? Not me, I use lube. :w00t:

4. Re: Smoking fags/pipes... for it or against? Light up the po

Tried it, and didn't like it. Just as well, as I used to use my b/ls for convincing the dockyard return stores to sign the 331s !

:|

5. Re: Smoking fags/pipes... for it or against? Light up the po

Ahh memories of negotiations with the dockyard matey... Sometimes they wanted coffee as well as fags..

6. Re: Smoking fags/pipes... for it or against? Light up the po

Never smoked and don't begrudge anyone who does having a fag around me.

7. Re: Smoking fags/pipes... for it or against? Light up the po

I am just wondering if it was Whitemouse that taught me all I knew about tricky negotiations with PSTO(N)?

8. Re: Smoking fags/pipes... for it or against? Light up the po

Who me ?

9. Re: Smoking fags/pipes... for it or against? Light up the po

As a non smoker now for 15 years I am not anti smoking but I would now no longer go to a bar/pub or restaurant that allowed smoking just because the smell puts me off. I also find if I am in a smokey area for any length of time I get a sore throat the next day. If I was invited to a party and all were smoking I would certainly leave as soon as possible or remain outside if possible.

Hates:

Smokers who believe they are entitled to a 10 minute break away from their desks every hour to smoke, but non smokers away from their desks are loafing.

Smokers who seem to think that cigarette dog ends are NOT LITTER.

Smokers who think standing inside a nearly shut door in winter is outside.

The smell of smoke on clothes.

Policemen/Politicians who light up and smoke while driving think that they are under full control but using a mobile phone you are not. IMHO neither are under full control.

Driver who throw still alight dog ends out of their car.

Rant over.

Nutty

10. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I smoke, have done since I was 12, dont particularly like it but keep failing to give up.

I like the non smoking pubs as it cuts down on my smoking, dont like the nanny state mentality behind it though. I dont smoke in the house anymore (except in my bathroom, cant beat a ciggie and a shite in the morning)

Currently cutting back on the ciggies again.

11. Gave up August last year and have never felt better, both with my health and in my pocket. Purely down to the 'smoking clinic' at PJHQ - fantastic. Had all the tests when I was still a smoker and then going back bi-weekly to have the same tests - the changes were amazing. Used the gum (which of course was free) and found it really helped. You do however need self determination to crack it.

12. Smoked a pipe for about 45 years. Gave up smoking in Jan 1997 after I managed to draw my ribs from the breast bone! very painful I can assure you!

Just after I met lady who suffered from cancer of the larynx, her quality of life was poor. Little did I know that I was to become another laryngectomee.
    I have been fortunate in having excellent treatment and support from the NHS and can speak although I am waiting for an offer from the BBC to do voice overs for Daleks.

So the moral of this dit is "DO NOT SMOKE"

13. Smoked a pipe for about 45 years. Gave up smoking in Jan 1997 after I managed to draw my ribs from the breast bone! very painful I can assure you!

Just after I met lady who suffered from cancer of the larynx, her quality of life was poor. Little did I know that I was to become another laryngectomee.
    I have been fortunate in having excellent treatment and support from the NHS and can speak although I am waiting for an offer from the BBC to do voice overs for Daleks.

So the moral of this dit is "DO NOT SMOKE"

14. Re: Smoking fags/pipes... for it or against? Light up the po

There is know known medical proof that smoking harms your health.

Spoke the smoker on tv.

All smokers to the rear if you have to smoke while out walking go to the back I aint breathing in that shite. And watch the dog ends on the moorland the moors will burn forever and a day.

Bollocked one teacher for dumping a fag end in the wood land on a school trip it will take a thousand years to vanish.

Yes going for a nicotine fix can you carry on with all my work please.

The streets of Dublin are full of dog ends. Coming to the UK real soon.

15. I gave up in Nov 82 after returning from "down south", I had a hangover and a cold the same weekend - just stopped straight away, never even had a drag since.

Hate smoking for the same reasons "Nutty" itemised.

16. Re: Smoking fags/pipes... for it or against? Light up the po

Pfft! Next people will be telling me that 'passive smoking' is a threat to health.

I'd be more worried about the Benzine, (a known carcinogen), they put in petrol instead of lead and we breath in in gobfulls than fag smoke.

17. Managed to give up when Blue Liners were 27p for 300, never smoked since

18. Re: Smoking fags/pipes... for it or against? Light up the po

My first draught in 1955 was Ursa on the stokers mess with around 30 other stokers and killicks, with ridiculously priced Blue Liners and branded ciggies at from the Naafi at a duty free price I think just about everyone smoked. I don't remember ever being offended particularly when we all rolled out of our pit in the morning and lit up. The coughing was something
    to behold. However now if someone smokes one ciggie in our house I can smell it for a week. I guess it's what you are used too.
    What is it like on present day ships regards smoking ?

19. I think you will find that most, if not all, are non smoking. Health and Safety, don't you know!!

Semper Strenuissima

20. Before and whils serving in the Mob, I used my regular 40 a day watchkeeping, and at DF prices or blue liners
    Came outside, and evenutally quit, with help from family, and the extortionate prices

However I do believe people should be given a choice and not dictated to by a government

Pubs/Restaurants should have been entitled to state either Smoking or Non Smoking
    or at the least a designated smoking bar/room
    Patrons could then make their own mind up which one to use

After quitting, you only then realise how foul your clothes and rooms smell when a smoker has been in

The difference in decorating costs with public places in Scotland are unbelivable, the places are actually still clean after a year!

You need a futher question in the Poll ex smoker

Government --We get most of our taxes from smokers but you are not allowed to smoke seig heil

People should be given the choice