Smart Motorways, a good idea or a Stupid one?

slim

War Hero
Smart motorways are supposed to alleviate congestion at busy times.
Fantastic idea, use the hard shoulder as an extra lane.
Which brainiac thought of this?
The hard shoulder is supposed to be an fairly safe areq to pull into when you have a problem.
Even then the polce advice getting out of your car and going over the nearside barrier to keep safe.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Alfacharlie

War Hero
M42 passing Birmingham airport down to the M40 interchange is shocking. The speed signs go from 60/40/50 then back to 60mph! Changing at every camera. Load of shite if you ask me.
AC

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I drive the M1 4 times a week . Smart motorway. Since it's been installed, it's made a massive difference to my commute, for the better. The problem lies with idiot drivers who think the speed limit is a personal challenge. Or that they don't have to change lanes when told. Also, idiots who don't know what to do when you break down on the motorway.
Basically it's not the road, it's the drivers.
Don't believe everything you read in the Daily Mail.

I drive the M1 4 times a week . Smart motorway. Since it's been installed, it's made a massive difference to my commute, for the better. The problem lies with idiot drivers who think the speed limit is a personal challenge. Or that they don't have to change lanes when told. Also, idiots who don't know what to do when you break down on the motorway.
Basically it's not the road, it's the drivers.
Don't believe everything you read in the Daily Mail.
I agree that it is not the road, its the drivers. However until all drivers understand how they are supposed to work and change their driving habits to abide by the smart motorway rules there are going to be many more accidents and loss of life.

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I agree that it is not the road, its the drivers. However until all drivers understand how they are supposed to work and change their driving habits to abide by the smart motorway rules there are going to be many more accidents and loss of life.
Everyone knows they are out there. Educate yourself before travelling on them.
TBH, its not that difficult. Obey the speed limit, move over when instructed, don't use a lane that is closed and if you have to pull over, get out of your car and get over the safety barrier.
Not rocket science really.

slim

War Hero
Everyone knows they are out there. Educate yourself before travelling on them.
TBH, its not that difficult. Obey the speed limit, move over when instructed, don't use a lane that is closed and if you have to pull over, get out of your car and get over the safety barrier.
Not rocket science really.
What you are saying is correct. it aint rocket science. However there are an awful lot of idiots on our roads who seem incapable of driving in a sensible way

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I think a lot of the motorway idiocy is down to not being taught it when learning to drive. I don't know if it's changed but you weren't allowed on to a motorway until you'd past your test.

I appreciate not everywhere has motorways though, such as the Highlands, Cornwall etc so not really feasible to include in a test.

Sumo

War Hero
I don't have much experience of them to be honest, the M5 stops at Exeter.
Don't venture north that often then? ;)
Since working in Guzz 2011, I have been on the motorway less than a dozen times.
Twice for work to Brizzle
Mrs S thinks heavy traffic is waiting for the red light to change, she hates traffic .

The idea for variable speed roads is ok but when they are full of speed cameras and the speed changes all the time, one has to think is someone milking the cash cow.

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
The idea for variable speed roads is ok but when they are full of speed cameras and the speed changes all the time, one has to think is someone milking the cash cow.
Drive within the speed limit and you won't get fined. It's really not that difficult. The signs are highly visible, more visible than a roadside sign that most people manage to obey on a daily basis.
Once you're in a managed motorway, be prepared for the speed limit to change.

Sumo

War Hero
Drive within the speed limit and you won't get fined. It's really not that difficult. The signs are highly visible, more visible than a roadside sign that most people manage to obey on a daily basis.
Once you're in a managed motorway, be prepared for the speed limit to change.
we as to travel over 200 miles to find one of them managed roady things, as for @WreckerL a dual carriageway is the best he will get, them Kernow bods don't like to travel fast, Indian Queens used to be a good bottle neck, and well come to slow Kernow travel.

huwshpis

War Hero
True dit. Heading South on M5 from Brizzle bound for Guzz, traffic all speeding, me doing 90 and a police car pulls up alongside. Observer signals with his hand to slow the pace a bit, so I did, they shot off into the future. Only then did I realise that my (Jersey) POLICE sign was visible inside my Landrover.

Sumo

War Hero
:)
True dit. Heading South on M5 from Brizzle bound for Guzz, traffic all speeding, me doing 90 and a police car pulls up alongside. Observer signals with his hand to slow the pace a bit, so I did, they shot off into the future. Only then did I realise that my (Jersey) POLICE sign was visible inside my Landrover.
Lucky lucky Barrister;)

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
WHAT?

90 in a Landy? Or is the Jersey limit in KPH now......

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Strategic roads update: smart motorways evidence stocktake MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Smart motorways – our current position MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Safety on smart motorways MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Smart alliance to improve journeys on England’s busiest motorways MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ever Smart report published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government advances plans to boost security of smart products MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government sets out plans to drive up smart meter installations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New plans to boost security of consumer smart devices MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Action plan announced to boost smart motorway safety MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Smart Motorway Safety – Evidence Stocktake and Action Plan – our response MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £1 million boost for UK smart waste tracking MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Modernising access to smart energy data: apply for contracts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Smart ticketing investment for rail customers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Smart funding: open to innovative businesses from any sector MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Roadside recovery industry offered ‘smart’ training by Highways England MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Smart boats could revolutionise UK fishing and seafood industries MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Developing components for smart energy systems: apply for funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Launch of Smart Farm Pilot at EXPO in Paraguay MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Smart, affordable global energy systems: apply for funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New UK aid funding for smart crops on display in Chelsea Flower Show MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Smart energy systems: apply for funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Smart energy systems: apply for funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: School gets smart makeover thanks to M6 workers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Smart tracking of waste across the UK: GovTech Catalyst competition winners announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement to parliament: Smart ticketing on the rail network MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: ‘Smart homes’ to help older and disabled people get digital skills and tackle loneliness in rural areas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Government funded electric car chargepoints to be smart by July 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Smart-city modeller wins data pioneer of the year award MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Smart meters are the smart choice, now and in the future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Smart technology for public parks and spaces: apply for contracts MoD News 0
Simon - Quest Magazine Trainee Smart Meter Installer The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Simon - Quest Magazine Smart Meter Installers (Gas Technician, CEN1 OR CCN1), £26k + Fully Equipped And Maintained Van The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
MoD_RSS News story: Smart materials sought by MOD for UK defence and security MoD News 0
I why do officers and rating has different "smart" uniform ? Miscellaneous 51
S Very Smart The Internet - Best and Worst 10
R12_CV New Yank 'Smart Gun' against Taliban Current Affairs 9
H Smart cards Diamond Lil's 9
MoD_RSS Press release: True grit - the husband and wife keeping motorways moving this winter MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Take a game-changing idea to market: apply for an innovation loan MoD News 0
M Military kit bags, a good idea? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
H Any idea for PRNC dates after passing fitness test? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MrIndeed Is it a good idea to have a 'girlfriend' or a 'wife' when in the Navy? Nearest & Dearest 28
B Any idea on this photograph - early 1900s? History 15
SONAR-BENDER Scottish idea of 5 day! Diamond Lil's 2
N App Idea Diamond Lil's 16
Rumrat Sgt Peppers brainstormingly good Idea. Diamond Lil's 5
M Getting married in rig - a good idea? Nearest & Dearest 23
C An idea to help out... Diamond Lil's 5
A A New Idea from Ford Blue Jokes 2
soleil The Register: "Trident Delay: Cunning Plan Or Bad Idea?" Submariners 1