Small people rejoice at the decommissioning of the Harrier

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ninja_Stoker, Jan 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

News just in...

Good News everyone: The minimum height restriction of 166 cm for those wishing to be employed as Naval Airman, Aircraft Handler NA(AH), has been removed and minimum height is now 151.5cm, the same as for normal people.

It's unclear yet whether the NA(AH) maximum height restriction of 193cm still applies however, but tall people will still be employed in other branches for cleaning overheads, as before.

The only cloud on the horizon is that best guess waiting times to join as an NA(AH) for those applying today is estimated at around 4 years...

2. 4 years wait to be a Chockhead !!!! 8O No height restrictions when they handled Gannets on the nose wheel arm!! :laughing9:

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ah yes, but centimetres weren't invented then either. :glasses8:

4. As long as they can reach the pigeon holes when posting the mail!!!

5. Is this gen?

I know a chockhead who is about 7 foot tall, his nickname is Chewie because he is taller than that ******* hairy ape thing from Star Trek. He even has to have his ovies specially tailored because the mob doesn't make clothing for giants.

6. Ninja_Stoker

My guess was that the minimum height was something technical like being able to reach the canopy release for aircrew rescue purposes if the aircraft crash-lands, but experience suggests that it was more likely so that the AH could pass the pilot his butties or perhaps take his picture (for autograph later) before he launched on another deed of daring-do.

Doubtless Pontius will illuminate us.

Yep 193 cm is/was max heigh for chockheads.

7. His brother was in Star Wars

8. The Chockhead is supervising here and has sent the bombhead and the grubbers in, to do the technical work!!:laughing9: http://usera.imagecave.com/scouse/David009(1).jpg

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  9. Are you sitting comfortably?

[​IMG]

10. Which is why I said his brother, nothing to see hear, move along but nice try

11. Close enough.

12. Ninja_Stoker

Hang on, wasn't there a big hairy bloke in Star Wars too? :slow:

13. Not too many years ago when joining the armed forces was a last minute desperate act Aircraft Handlers? An outlet for the brain-dead.
    Before the pits closed the miners were saying " No bloody son of mine will work down there" When they closed the same men were saying "Where's my bloody lad going to find work" " Sodding useless bloody Government"
    "

14. Ahhh, those were the days. Black and white photos, of course, because they better conveyed the romanticism and stoical demeanour of the steel-jawed fighter pilot :winkrazz:

I think, however, the real reason for the height requirement was better noise making abilities when slapping the side of the aircraft. You see, when 'Sir' had fallen asleep on Alert 5 (it was SO comfy in there with the canopy closed, wind noise whistling by and the gentle hum of avionics overheating) it got a much better startled response and shit-scared 'what have I done wrong now' look from the Ace if the piss-taking AEM could reach up closer to the canopy, before banging as loudly as possible on the fuselage 8-O

It goes without saying that I never witnessed this; being always on the lookout for Ivan, always vigilant and never sleeping during the whole of the embarkation :)

Nowadays I have to settle for the 'buttie' being handed directly to me by some lithe Asian beauty as I sit in air-conditioned comfort in Red Sea Rig equivalent, but it's a cross I'll bear out of the goodness of my heart :plotting:

15. Ninja_Stoker

Thanks for the clarification on that one. Always wondered why Woos had height restrictions.

I'm guessing the upper height limit was nothing to do with working under the rotor disc with risk of decapitation from blade sail or dip either. My hunch is that it was to do with team photos whereby the tallest in the shot had to be the leather-jacketed suave debonair bloke with the silk scarf ? :toothy3:

16. To right, about embarking , and dissembarking a chopper whilst Running Rotars. Only the crazy/ stupid would go in and out upright. Always head way down for me and the old a bolds^^^^

17. I'll have you know God loves little people.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011