slightly embarrasin question here.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by seafruit, Jan 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hey im a bit embarrased about askin this but what happens if im at raleigh and i get my monthlys i cant wear tampys and im worried bout the swimmng due to this. running and pt would b ok but i have no idea wat to expect. in other words i dont know wat they expect me to be able to do. shud i go to the doc and get him to stop em?i really dont want that route. im not trying to be a whinger im willing to do as im told and work. so plz any advice.

:threaten: go on i dare ya 2 take the piss! :rambo: :)

2. I don't think anyone will take the p155 about this to be honest. Its a good question and one that many many recruits must worry about without having the maturity to actually ask :)

There will be training staff at Raleigh that you can talk to in confidence I promise you. Something as natural as this WILL have been covered lots of times before and really is nothing for you to worry about.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

All gender specific health issues can be discussed in confidence & in private with the medical staff at HMS Raleigh and, if desired with female members of the instructing staff. Rest assured there is ample opportunity to discuss such issues before the situation arises.

4. Given that you'll be at HMS Raleigh for 9 weeks I expect it will happen to you and any other female recruits at least twice :)

5. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

I can only assume that as well as skipping English lessons you also skipped Sex Education at school! Continuous use of your contraceptive pill (no gap week for menstruation) will prevent the painters coming in, this should be done in consultation with your doctor obviously, for the time you are at Raleigh it shouldn't be a problem but do talk to your doctor about it.

6. CT read her post again mate, she SAID she didn't want to go down that route!

7. chieftiff

But she also dared me to take the piss, how else could I get the spelling dig in without the patronising sex education reference? :w00t:

The reality is that many women do this for varying reasons: beach holiday, adventure training, sporting event etc without consulting their doctor, there is little if any risk in the short term (although there is some hence a visit to the doctor) If it were to ease the anxiety/ worry of basic training it would seem a viable option.

8. Chief Tiff,

I am really sure the girls will be eternally so grateful that you deem it fit to explain to young women in the forum, the intricasies behind with holding a menstrual cycle.

You seem very knowlegeable, is this because as a WAFU you are little more than a girl anyway?

9. Get the injection or implant. It saves the hassle. It won't stop it permanently. I'm sure you'll get some sort of brief or chat about it - I know the girls that go to RAF IOT do.

10. Chief Tiff I am impressed Sex Education lessons, now if we can only sort out your dodgy taste in modern art, (remember Cherbourg), then I think you will be the cleverest man on the planet, and I don't have a Jan accent by the way you git.

11. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Blob up bird, then flog your nicks for beer tokens. I obviously said that about 25 years ago before the sex shite laws came in, I'm now distrought that being a working man I have to deal with such female problems, I now feel victimised that once a month for about a week I get irrational shit.

keep safe

12. I think the problem is you lack of appreciation of the finer aspects of contemporary art. I'll flog you a pickled, dead, 26 days old, milk-fed sheep for only £500K. PM me if interested. Payment by Western Union please to my agent, Alfresco de Blaaaaair.

By the way, what's sex education? The nearest we got to that at school was discussing if the Blessed Virgin suffered from periods or not (NOT during class of course!!!). Ooooo, we was norty boys! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

13. I don't know a great deal about Raleigh, but am i missing the point... Why can't you use tampons? That way you can do swimming and everything else, and in a non-grose way surely you get loo breaks to go and change them when necessary?!

Also if you are not already on the pill, i would go on, for one it means you can know exactly when you will come on, you can yes take two packets together but i wouldn't recommend it and nor does the doctor, it's the last choice really. It also shortens your period.

But like i said that post may be utter cr*p if i've missed the point.

14. No way. I'm not that brave! ^_^;

15. See your GP prior to going and see if it would be possible to either be given an implant (lasts 5 years), or be given a depo injection - every 3 months-- the only problem with the injection is there is no guarantee your periods will stop - I was on depo for 6 + years- but continued to have a period- albeit it was only 2 days.

Im unsure why you cant use tampons- feel free to pm for help - but PTI's can be helpful, and there will be at least one female one at Raleigh you could confide in.

16. my wife will never use them because she has seem first hand Mastitis or toxic shock syndrome and apparently its not a nice disease to get

maybe thats the reason

17. chieftiff

You do, albeit with a jock twang :afro:

The Cherbourgh painting is still up on the stairwell wall, never could understand why you didn't like it, I still like it even when I'm sober!