Sleepwalking Discharge - can I get more money?

Hi shipmates, so I'm being discharged next Tuesday (9th February) via medical board. I know this as had a board in October, and was advised by the board president that "no one is retained in the navy if they sleep walk" so, I was given 3 months to get my affairs (resettlement) prior to another board. (Which I'm very grateful for the navy for).

My question (s) is:
1st question: what grading of medical payouts are there? As I know if you loose limbs, eyesight, is most serious grading. Where does sleepwalking come into the grading?

I am a marine engineer, and would like to stay in the marine world, hopefully work on yachts, however this will affect my medical records. Most likely I'll fail a civi medical board to work on boats or at sea. Therefore as my condition will affect my future employment shouldn't this be reflected on my medical payout as I'm not fully employable in the area I would most like....

2nd question: will I get a medical pension?

Many thanks,

Last edited:

Waspie

War Hero
As you're still in until next Tuesday. Use Monday and Tuesday to research using service facilities.

Doubtful if any one on this unofficial naval site has experience of this. (But you never know)!!!

Good luck and hope you get whatever you're after. (Financially).

Taztiff

War Hero
I didn't get kicked out after sleepwalking on board.
Didn't even know I did it as I was asleep. Killick steward saw me bimbling down the wardroom flat.

There's money involved!! Medical pension!! Get a grip. To be paid a medical pension for sleepwalking takes the piss out of those with real issues who don't get anything.
Sorry I'm being harsh, my lad is about to leave after being diagnosed with something a lot more serious then sleepwalking and he will get naff all.

Dusty70

War Hero
If you are being discharged next Tuesday and have not filled in any pension forms (usually 4 months in advance) then I would suggest you will not receive anything - as has been stated above though - this is not an official website

Just to be clear, I don't want to be discharged from the navy, however, if someone says I'm going to get a payout, of course I'm going to exhaust this avenue, as I'd probably earn alot more if I were to stay in.

It may not be a 'serious' condition, however if it means not being able to continue doing the job I want to do, of course I'll take all that I can.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
We had a chef who went sleep walking. Used to punch lockers etc.

He had a fetish for small feet too. So when we went to the Far East, he was in his element!

Glad he wasn’t a woo on 84(whatever)sqn.

slight thread drift, I know.

I didn't get kicked out after sleepwalking on board.
Didn't even know I did it as I was asleep. Killick steward saw me bimbling down the wardroom flat.

There's money involved!! Medical pension!! Get a grip. To be paid a medical pension for sleepwalking takes the piss out of those with real issues who don't get anything.
Sorry I'm being harsh, my lad is about to leave after being diagnosed with something a lot more serious then sleepwalking and he will get naff all.
Haha, I didn't make up the rules! I want to be retained in the navy, and unfortunately cannot be so, the navy are buying me out as they're ending my contract early. Therefore want to find out whether this will affect my employment elsewhere. In this current climate, I don't think trying to look out for myself and family is the worst thing.

If your lad got diagnosed with something which means he can't stay in the forces, he should get a payout...

Latest Threads