SLAM

Discussion in 'Bases / Shore Est' started by safeguard12clips, Jan 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi.

Can anybody help me with the privacy rules and overnight guest rules regarding slam.

I was recently on deployment and had left my room keys with a freind. The accomodation manager wasn't happy with this arangment and search my room and changed the locks. I have the new keys but the buzz is that I will be evicted from my room once I go back to work after POL.

Have I been seen off, or is this a fair cop?

2. It's a fair cop mate, unless you tell the accomodation maggot that you've left the keys with your oppo. It's laid down in most establishments that you're not to dist keys around. Not that thta makes common sense like but you know how it is.

3. I think you will find that it depends on individual stations.

That is certainly my finding from army and marines at the site I work at.

4. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

What the fcuk is SLAM?

5. Ridiculously gucci accommodation for JR's, on a par with a 4* hotel room. Not that I'm bitter like in my SR's cabin with no heating, luke warm water and 1 shower between 40.

6. And I thought, why is he accomodated with a SurfaceLaunchedAirflightMissle that was once fitted to an A Class SSK?

[​IMG]

Perhaps not.

Nutty

7. It depends on where you are based as to what rules are implemented, however you will have signed a residency agreement when moving into your accommodation and if you are in breech of that the staff are entitled to remove you.

In HMS Drake the accommodation staff conduct daily rounds of the Junior Rate's accomodation in order to keep an eye on standards of hygene, cleanliness and security, whilst the cleaning staff are contracted to enter each person's room on a daily basis to carry out their cleaning duties. Accommodation staff may enter any room in the course of their duties.

As for overnight guests, in HMS Drake it is only long term partners who are permitted to stay overnight (I think for a maximum of 3 consecutive nights in any one month) and approval must be obtained from your D.O. and authorised by the Accommodation Manager. Having overnight guests is not a way of having your mates or parents avoid paying for a B&B.

You will be required to pay costs should you be found to have damaged any part of your accommodation, including paying for lost keys, so I would imagine you will already have had to pay for new locks and keys.

Some people seem to think that the regulations don't apply to them, such as some (though by no means all) of the smokers who ignore the terms of their residency agreement, the Naval Base Standing Orders and I think also MoD policy, by smoking in their rooms. And then wonder why they are having disciplinary action taken against them, or get kicked out of their accommodation once they've been caught.

In Drake, since the building of SLAM, there has been a loss of about 50% of bed spaces. There is not enough room for people that need to be accommodated, and if you can't be bothered to play by the rules and do what you're supposed to do, the staff are quite happy to give your room to someone who will.

When I joined the mob (swings lantern), our 4-man rooms in Collingwood (Saintes block) only had a curtain seperating them from the corridor and they didn't always fit properly. There was absolutely no privacy, especially as the duty watch & OOD went into each room during midnight rounds. Unfortunately, it seems that some of the lads and lasses that have joined in recent years don't have the appreciation or respect for what they now have, compared to only a few years ago.

8. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

The recent arson and deliberate flooding incidents in Drake would seem to confirm that idea for me. Put them in tents on the wardroom lawn until they learn that respect.

9. Thanks everyone who replied. Thanks alot to jimmy green.

10. An here was me thinking that it was a 22,000lb free fall bomb.

11. Maybe it's time for the mob to consider reintroducing multi-man messdecks, and the re-institution of the LHOM ?

Having a crab or a someone who is less than careful with the contents living in the same mess deck would soon be sorted by his bunk mates ..yes ?

:?:

12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You contravened the Standing Orders of your establishment (wherever that may be), so "life in a blue one". How would you feel if your 'oppo' used your room for nefarious activities or nicked all your property? You would get the blame for any damage caused while your mate is laughing into his beer...

However what I want to know is, if you were away from the unit on deployment, why did you not hand your room back to the Accommodation Manager so he could allocate the room to someone else who needed it? This is both selfish and stupid, as presumably you continued to pay for your accommodation while you were away?

13. Andy

Where is your photographic evidence as provided by the Submarine Service complete with written description attached. :roll:

If not we win :D :D :D

Nutty

14. Nutty, I also believed that SLAM stood for Surface Launched Air Missile. I did rolling platorm trials with it way back in the ?????'s. Blowpipe has now transformed into Starstreak and son of Starstreak.

Semper Strenuissima

15. If the room occupant is GS then they are only usually accommodated in Drake if there is a particular reason that they can't live onboard, such as refit or being medically downgraded.

However, the sundodgers keep their accommodation whilst deployed.

My experience was that the crabmariners (quelle surprise) were generally the untidiest fcukers and were regularly picked up for the state of their rooms, although, oddly, a few of them kept their rooms in a pristine condition. They must have been unwell. 8O

16. SLAM = Stand-off Land Attack Missile or

Single Living Accommodation Modernisation

17. My question is what is a sprog going to say when going from their gucci single man cabin with en suite shower to a carrier with 20 other blokes in the same room??

18. Nothing, he'll just spend all his time on his pit with his laptop because he's completely unable to mix with his mess-mates. Yes, this happens.....

19. Happy Days. Was Pelican road shut by the time you got there?

:)

20. Ah!
    Pelican Road!
    Lhom's grot was achieved by strategically placing the lockers, with a curtain over the entrance.
    Woe betide anyone found wearing footwear!

We used to dream of the sheer luxury involved in 4 man cabins.