Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Leatherneck, Apr 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just joined up a few days ago. Thought I all things covered, even a donation.

But I'm slacking i.e. "Leatherneck>forums" is what's said on the home page. Been here in the forums learning English and enjoying all the banter.
    Thanks for the hospitality and letting me hang out with you. :thanks:
  2. It's just a list of those that are online at the site mate, instead of away at work :D
  3. Cheers Mate, I avoid negative labels don't want one round here for sure.

Like your Latin, do British schools teach Latin or emphasize it? Trying to get my head around the difference and find out were us Yanks went wrong, besides declaring independance, fecking huge mistake there.

Thanks again.
  4. Lol, the Latin is just my way of saying its all banter, its only the internet and try not to get annoyed if you think I'm getting on my high horse :)

Its a pity that most don't bother to look and see what it means :D
    I don't think it has been taught in schools over here for a long while, I certainly never learnt it :)
  5. No worries mate, thanks for clearing that up. Just a matter of curiosity.

I see alot of Latin in use here. A lot of US Marine squadrons mainly use Latin as their motto. and of course US Marines' moto is Latin. I had a feeling it was another piece of Britain we had adopted.

I better get a Latin dictionary then and do my homework. Think looking it up will give me a greater and deeper appreciation.

Cheers Mate
  6. Learnt Latin whilst in secondary school, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the 80's, even had the odd church mass in latin too ( now that WAS harsh!)
  7. Catholic? Knew a Leatherneck who grew up in a catholic orphanage, he knew Latin guess he had no choice.
  8. I learnt latin at school and that was only 5 years ago.
  9. I was the only kid at our school who learnt Latin, I bullied my music teacher into teaching me in his spare time. I got as far as "Caecillius est in horto" and then the Boss told me I was obviously trying to be better than everyone else, and put a stop to it.

Funny though, the few weeks I had lessons my French improved tenfold. When I'm PM it will be compulsory.
  10. I'll get ya some votes, just rememer me when you make it.
  11. Well of course.

And obviously the Navy will have an unlimited budget, cigarettes and alcohol will all be duty-free, and penguins will teach maths in schools.

I can see it now.... The future's bright.
  12. Somebody get him a copy of JackSpeak.

13. Whazzat???
  14. I was taught Latin by my Sea Dad back in the 50's.

The only one I can remember is 'Primo Addictum ad rectum',
    which he freely translated as 'Lead on Dick, I'm right behind'.

But I've never found any use for it.

15. I know a retired Royal Sailor in Cambridge who will be first in line to vote for you.
  16. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Iwas told to sit at the back of the Latin class at skool, amo, amas, amant etc, never really got any further :afro:
  17. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

"To be is to do" - Descartes
    "To do is to be" - Sartre
    "Doo bee doo bee doo" - Sinatra