skype in kandahar?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by bitter_and_twisted, Sep 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i am off to sunny kandahar soon and was wondering if i can use skype to keep in touch with home.

i know there is internet out there with access to online email addresses eg yahoo and hotmail, but i'm not sure whether there is a security issue concerning skype and similar services.

can anyone shed any light on the subject?

2. Skye will use 15% of the server bandwidth. Make sure the isp will comply with this. I can not see the MOD net work allowing third party connection to their lines. But check it out. :thumright:

3. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

BT - in KAF I believe there is a "welfare" wireless network you can join for a minimal fee per month. Wasnt there earlier in the year but my guys tell me it is now. I will call them tomorrow and get more details, which I will post.

4. wave_dodger

BT - in KAF I believe there is a "welfare" wireless network you can join for a minimal fee per month. Wasnt there earlier in the year but my guys tell me it is now. I will call them tomorrow and get more details, which I will post.

5. Skype was available when I was there in Jan - Jun 07.

6. well, i hope it works anyway. i've spent £40 on a skype starter kit earlier! cheers for the info. :thumright:

7. wave_dodger

Confirmed t'is there on your RSOI brief they will give you a heads up. My guys advise protecting your laptop with WPA, bandwidth hoovering is rife :)