Skipping Ranks?

pie-thatcher

Midshipman
In y day an RO was a radio operator, inthe context of this discusion it obviously means something else. So question, a 1RO etc what does it stand for and what does the person do? Grown up answers only please!

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
In y day an RO was a radio operator, inthe context of this discusion it obviously means something else. So question, a 1RO etc what does it stand for and what does the person do? Grown up answers only please!

Either the 1st reporting officer (direct line manager), 2nd reporting officer or exceptionally a 3rd reporting officer. The gravitas of the report rising depending upon the seniority of the RO (generally).

Seadog

War Hero
Subsunk, the RFA is struggling to retain and recruit engineers.

In MN terms, 1/OE is Senior Third Engineer and the holder of a Chiefs ticket would expect to be Chief if experienced, Second if the ink is still wet but not always. To make things worse, adverts for 2/OE have been spun as Second Engineer. Not the same thing.

I don't blame your oppo for giving it sea room.

SEP86

War Hero
Sorry to be boring and go back to the beginning of the thread, but can anyone remind me who it was that skipped 3* (or was it 2*), just been reading some biographies on Wikipedia, but haven't come up trumps yet.

PS - The RN reporting system is better than you realise. :)

Seadog

War Hero
In which case I may be confusing skipping a key appointment in the usual flag career progression with skipping a rank.

Seadog

War Hero
Nigel Essenhigh was my leapfrog candidate when I posted earlier PT. I couldn't find a definitive ( not Wikipedia) reference in support and Wikipedia contradicts my recollection.

The Duke of Edinburgh skipped a few- Commander desig to 5* and Prince Charles skipped Lieutenant Commander.

No complaints from this call sign.

Adm Essenheigh went from Hydrographer of the Navy to CINCLFEET, via a short stop as a 3*. In effect he 'missed' being a 3* as he was selected for CINC as a 2*.