Skipping Ranks?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Just to illustrate the imperfections of merit based selection, as a CPO, I'm 1RO for a Warrant Officer 1, a WO2, a CPO and a Sergeant.

If any one of those four people are promoted to my position, my contract will terminate.

What could possibly go wrong?

Just to add, they all get paid more than me because my last day's active service pay ( which you cannot exceed) was 11 years ago, whilst all of them have been Careers Advisers for less than a year.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
Just to illustrate the imperfections of merit based selection, as a CPO, I'm 1RO for a Warrant Officer 1, a WO2, a CPO and a Sergeant.

If any one of those four people are promoted to my position, my contract will terminate.

But surely thats an oddity of the careers service system - There is normally no way a CPO would be a 1RO for a WO, 1 or 2. A quirk of a quirky aspect of the system.

The reporting process still stands, it's up to your honesty and integrity to write them up appropriately.

I saw something the other day from Glasgow which suggests we (or maybe just they, but I doubt it) - are considering a 180/360 degree reporting trial. I can see huge benefits and pitfalls in that approach.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
:)Yep, it's certainly quirky. It's an "illegal contract" too, so they say, but a transient management team ensures the buck is passed regularly twixt pillar and stanchion and the AFPRB turns a blind eye, placing it in the "too difficult" tray each year.

G

guestm

"Or how brave you fancy being in the 'suicide box'."

I've used it once, when it was clear that the debate between myself and 1RO was going to end badly - they'd put down various comments which were factually incorrect, and directly contradicted themselves in the report. I asked them to change it, they refused and so I put a series of points in the box going 'Bloggs said X, however Y is what actually happened'. I also noted that I'd asked them to change it, and was only doing so as the 1RO was not prepared to amend.

Very similar to what happened to me.

jay igaboo

Midshipman
Hi ninja, remember me?
I've not quite got the hang of this personal messaging on this site, apologies to all for a brief off topic. I's PM'ed you last New Year, don't know if it got through.
Just to satisfy your professional curiosity as a press-ganger, there was a very successful innovation and an historical first at one of my old units yesterday that looks as if it will ring very good results, which is bully for them, and even more unusually, one which I am at liberty to discuss.
If interested in it for professional reasons PM me.
This will not be anywhere on the web yet, but it probably will l be if you prefer to wait or ignore.

Seadog

War Hero
I've formed the impression that experienced medical doctors can join at 2 1/2. In the same way qualified engineer officers can join the RFA at 1/O.

That may be seen as skipping ranks.

jay igaboo

Midshipman
More decades ago than I like to think about, in my brief sea-going career, I remember a Third Engineer who was a PO artificer in the Grey Funnel Line.
Couldn't understand why -less pay, less rank or career progression, worse conditions. I heard that the RN had four watches to cover each day, instead of the MN three, and all manner of hands all over the engine room at various stations, that would have been cushy as.
In my brief MN career is seemed to do eff all except work-some other engineer get ill, the other two take watch about until he gets better, a greaser and donkeyman, and that yer lot, As well as two watches, your sleeping, reading or wanking time was further eaten into by umpteen other things.. doing surveys on gennies and the like, not to mention safety of the ship issues requiring ones presence downstairs-- leaving/arrival port, fog, a fecking funeral! and routine maintenance outside of your watch, like checking funnel stays, lifeboat engines, bearings and u/js on extended spindles for fire fighting, etc, etc, etc,.
Feck it, I only went to sea to get some sunshine and f*ck exotic women.
Sea's for the fish!

Sumo

War Hero
I met a young chap a young 2 ringer AWEO then DWEO on our boat that stood out from the rest by a mile, I told him he would do well in the Navy has he did not need it to survive but he was the calibre they needed, he moved up the ranks at the earliest possible with acceleration, he took just under 25 years to Rear Admiral. Is that fast I have no idea? But it was obvious that he was a high flyer.

slim

War Hero
I waited for my promotion to chief to come but it never happened, I was convinced it was coming cos I heard my AEO on many occasions state that I wasn't going to be a PO much longer:(

Subsunk

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
Sorry if I'm cluttering up the wrong forum, but I have a hypothetical question, if I may...

From what I understand, the minimum age to join the officer ranks of the Royal Navy is 17.

Let's say there's some genius who has earned their master's degree (or even a PhD) in nuclear engineering by age 16.

For reasons unknown, this brainiac prodigy wants to join the service and become a submariner rather than work in a civilian laboratory.

Given his higher degree, would he skip some/any of the lower ranks upon signing up, or would he still start as a midshipman?

If he did start as a midshipman, would he advance any faster in rank than normal? For instance, would it be possible for him to reach the rank of full Lieutenant before age 21?

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

I'm here to tell you that any self-respecting genius wouldn't want to go to Harbour Stations in a submarine. Evidence for the prosecution: Da Vinci designed both a submarine and a parachute. The genius bit lies in the fact that he personally tested neither.

Subsunk

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
I've formed the impression that experienced medical doctors can join at 2 1/2. In the same way qualified engineer officers can join the RFA at 1/O.

That may be seen as skipping ranks.

It's a risk but a minor one - an oppo with his Chief's Unlimited Ticket was approached by a recruitment agency on behalf of a 'major British shipping concern.' Turns out that it was for the RFA. Said oppo is not going to report to BRNC in a suit, with a fountain pen etc at age 42 with a proven track record on Product Tankers, VLCCs and a spell as onshore Fleet Super for a major Gulf operator. Once he'd finished laughing he asked me why a major MOD employer was resorting to headhunters as well as the comparatively well-resourced MOD recruitment channels. He reckons it's because they are so short of personnel.