Skipping Ranks?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Duke Nukem, Nov 28, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry if I'm cluttering up the wrong forum, but I have a hypothetical question, if I may...

From what I understand, the minimum age to join the officer ranks of the Royal Navy is 17.

Let's say there's some genius who has earned their master's degree (or even a PhD) in nuclear engineering by age 16.

For reasons unknown, this brainiac prodigy wants to join the service and become a submariner rather than work in a civilian laboratory.

Given his higher degree, would he skip some/any of the lower ranks upon signing up, or would he still start as a midshipman?

If he did start as a midshipman, would he advance any faster in rank than normal? For instance, would it be possible for him to reach the rank of full Lieutenant before age 21?

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

2. It doesn't work that way, you start at the bottom and work your way up the same as everyone else. Your hypothetical brainiac may be completely useless at leadership and other tasks for instance, it's not all about bits of paper.

• Like Like x 5
  3. If someone is capable of earning a PhD at 16 I highly doubt they would decide to join the Royal Navy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ah, I see.

In the USA, people can be admitted in starting at a higher rank depending on their degree.

If that's the case in the UK, then what about promotion?

I hear promotion from Midshipman to Sub-Lieutenant is automatic after about a year. What's the timeframe from Sub-Lieutenant to full Lieutenant?

5. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

An officer recently skipped 3* in the transition from 2* to 4 * but by the time he'd made Flag Rank it was obvious he was quite clever.

"Recently" will turn out to be 20 years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  6. My grandfather went up to The Admiralty in London as a Petty Officer and returned to Southampton as a lieutenant on the same day as a jetty master, however that was over 70 years ago and there was a war on!

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Thankfully the days of awarding accelerated promotion and increased pay for those holding irrelevant non-vocational educational qualifications are now over. (Cue retort from Alf).

Merit based promotion on a now level playing field ensures that the youngest "high flyers" are advanced ahead of their peers by ability rather than bits of paper.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Ninja_Stoker

9. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Merit based promotion - hahahahaha!

The RN is many things but it's talent management and career development/progression is utterly shocking.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, I'd agree there are some truly shocking managers that bugger-up peoples careers through ineptitude whilst promoted themselves through unrelated and automatic means.

Fact is, we can't all be above average but very often the private sector cannot match the promotions & increments available in the Armed Forces.

11. Possibly a Senior ME rating who goes around in black clothing and a kind of ski mask press ganging young impressionable people

12. Surely it is just based on a slighty different (ok electronic) bit of paper.

In my experience the merit largely depends on the ability of your 2RO to craft his words better than that of your competitors ......

• Like Like x 3
  13. Or how brave you fancy being in the 'suicide box'.

14. I've only seen someone use that once. I didn't end well for them...

15. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Never does because at that juncture they feel so aggrieved the red mist is upon them and they end up hanging themselves, instead of sitting back and dispassionately setting out the issue/grievance.

16. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

It's all about being evidence based as opposed to fanciful, beautifully crafted prose - "bloggs keeps good kit" rarely helps, "Blogs is a studious thinker, at a level higher than his peers, carries more responsibility and has clear additional capacity, as opposed to his peers; Bloggs acted up for his line manager for x months and carried out the entire range of duties perfectly, ably demonstrating his ability to perform in the higher rank at this time...."

We need people who spend time, understanding what actually works in reports.

17. It got me promoted after my 1RO pretty much just typed random words into the computer.

• Like Like x 1
  18. No, noshing off the Board Members got you promoted; the Subject Box comments just made you feel good about yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Yes thanks, I've written a few(!) reports in my time as both the 1RO and 2RO for NCOs and Officers from all 3 services. I've also had the pleasure of sitting on promotion and posting boards at Glasgow (Army career management place) for both NCOs and Officers so have seen the process in action.

Although the principle of evidence based reporting is sound, the fact remains that you can be the best (insert rank) in the (insert service) but the quality of writing produced by your reporting officer (esp 2RO) will decide on your fate. Anyone who thinks differently has never been on a promotion board.

Of course, this may be just the Army but I very much doubt it.

• Like Like x 1