Skimmers.

(granny)

Banned
Book Reviewer
Does anyone remember the small skimming dishes that were used to dash around the harbour. They were fast and great fun to drive.

(granny)

Banned
Book Reviewer
witsend said:
Got a pic of one?
Sorry No. I've searched on 'google' but came up with nothing. It's not in the Seamanship Manual Pt 1, I wonder if it's in Pt 2. But I lost my copy years ago.

(granny) said:
witsend said:
Got a pic of one?
Sorry No. I've searched on 'google' but came up with nothing. It's not in the Seamanship Manual Pt 1, I wonder if it's in Pt 2. But I lost my copy years ago.
They may have been before your time (not meaning to be rude) but you don't mean Rigid Raiders do you?

(granny)

Banned
Book Reviewer
WreckerL said:
(granny) said:
witsend said:
Got a pic of one?
They may have been before your time (not meaning to be rude) but you don't mean Rigid Raiders do you?
No. The 'skimming dish' was a small two seater used in harbour when someone was in a hurry. Mostly carried by cruisers.

(granny) said:
WreckerL said:
(granny) said:
witsend said:
Got a pic of one?
No. The 'skimming dish' was a small two seater used in harbour when someone was in a hurry. Mostly carried by cruisers.
Saw one being used by HMS Welshman the FML......aw hang on a minute, that was a coracle. :D

On a more sensible note I remember a POGI called Bob Sterry who was on HMS Llandaff and was talking about such a craft, though I personally have not seen one.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
theoldti Submariners 20
S Submariners 47