Skiing in RN

Discussion in 'Sports and Adventure Training' started by simonjgriffithshr, Jun 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What opportunities are available to ski competitively in the RN? Is it just the RN Championships or are there any early season competitions in the run up to them? How would you go about getting involved?

I missed them this year having joined up not long before, but I've skied races before and am a qualified instructor.

2. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

See your clubswingers and get details of the RN Winter Sports Association. The only competitive action is the RN Champs - if you are good enough you can then go forward to the Inter Services. RNWSA will have the details.

As a potential officer you might like to view this as initiative training........

3. Thanks. I had a look at the RNWSA site and it didn't look like there was any other competitve skiing, thought I'd find out if there were any 'unofficial' meets (perhaps there's an opening?). The Commader at BRNC suggested taking part when he found out I was an instructor, but unfortunately it will clash with MARL next year.

4. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

As an instructor you will always get an invite to the Champs along with a big subsidy. Unfortunately not next year..........

5. To get into either the racing or instructing you'll need to get to the Champs. I'm one of the instructors there and we're always looking for new blood. If you're BASI qualified you may find yourself in demand as there's not many of us. Wait 'til you know you can get to the Champs then offer yourself up to assist then see if you like it or not.

6. Probably be a few years now, I've left BRNC to do a degree, the plan being to return upon completion. I now apparantly class as a veteran - which is a bit of a mockery really! (Very bored at the moment with the degree, the first year is everything I've done at BRNC - chartwork, oceanography etc.) Anyway I digress.

Would there be a call for former personnel (is there a shortage of instructors)? Although I'm CSIA as opposed to BASI qualified.

7. You can always try getting a draft to Clockwork, you can ski every day / night and weekends, local competitve skiing in North norway and Sweden. New Ski center opens next week, had first snow of the season during the night :rendeer:

8. If you're serving you'll need to get a JSSI (Joint Services Ski instructor) award, all ex serving personnel who instruct must have a minimum of a BASI 3.